Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Online Verification - Get it right or Give It Up
#173924 08/07/07 12:21 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Cut this from a post where I began commenting on Toshiba's new Web Enabled 'features.' I felt it got way off topic so I moved my rant here.

------------
I actually don't have a terrible problem with copy protection when it's done correctly (well the rebellious, overcome it just because they told me not to, side of me hates it) but I can understand why content producers would want it.

However, I do have a problem when it goes wrong. Case in point. My hard drive recently crashed and was unrecoverable. I bought a new one and set about reinstalling Windows XP and everything else. When I go to download and run the Service Pack, I get a message saying that my registration key is invalid because it may have been used/owned by someone other than me. This my original CD that came with my Dell so it is most certainly mine. I never used it to set up anyone else's PC either.

I don't know if it's seeing the new hard drive as a new PC or somebody used a random key generator and happened to come up with mine but it urks me to no end. I can live without the service packs. I'll just tighten up my firewall and antivirus, but then I get the same thing when trying to install DirectX. OK now it has gone to far!! It's interfering with my gaming!

Since I was not willing to pay the 130 dollars for a new 'valid' key as the web page suggested I do, I had to resort to less than legit methods to get my PC working.

Now if I cared, here is the moral dilemma.... Was it wrong to use less than legit methods to get my PC back & running again or was it justified because MS is preventing me from using something I paid them good money for originally.

I'd think about it more if it bothered me.

That's my copy protection rant of the day. Chalk it up as a Microsoft rant too. I'd run Linux if I could play Vanguard with it. Next PC will be Linux while I keep this one as a dedicated gaming box.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: Online Verification - Get it right or Give It
Murph #173925 08/07/07 01:25 PM
shareholder in the making
Since the software you are using was legally obtained (bundled with the PC), I'd say you have a legal right to use it. You could try contacting Microsoft and giving them an earful.

Murph #173926 08/07/07 01:56 PM
veteran
veteran
I may have some of this inaccurate, but you'll get the idea. With XP, the verification process takes a snapshot of your system when you verify authenticity. When you change out major components, hard drive for example, it appears as if the OS is being loaded a second time on a different system. I believe all you have to do is contact MS (sounds easy), and tell them that you had a hardware failure and need to reverify or something similar. They should then give you a code/key to allow the reinstall. It is a pain in the arse, for sure.

Re: Online Verification - Get it right or Give It Up
Murph #173927 08/07/07 11:39 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Actually thats a weird problem. The one thing i like about doing dell reinstalls is that if you use the original disk it always activates without the phone call. Anyway when you went to activate before trying to get the updates it would have given you a phone number to call and they would have activated for you over the phone. you would then be able to get all your windows updates. I would probably reinstall now and do it that way. because they may do something to deactivate your activation hack. then you may have to reinstall again. YMMV

Jake

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
snakeyes #173928 08/08/07 11:34 AM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks for all the info and advice.

As an update, my Dell Dimension 4700 is a bit older, I guess, as it came pre-installed and with an actual Microsoft Issued CD version of XP. It has Dell labeled driver and software disks but the OS was not Dell Labeled so no phone number to register. I have re-formated several times and reinstalled using this CD.

Actually, I didn't really use a hack. I used a CD with a cooperate registration key good for multiple PCs. I often work from home and am expected to respond to emergencies after hours anyways. Although, justifying its use sort of takes the revenge fun out of it. In any case, there is little fear this key will be disabled so I should be good to go.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #173929 08/08/07 08:17 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

cooperate registration key

Corporate. Again.

Bren R.

BrenR #173930 08/09/07 02:39 AM
coprolite?

pmbuko #173931 08/09/07 03:07 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

coprolite?

I googled it, knowing full well I knew what it meant.

Why do I do this things?

Bren R.

BrenR #173932 08/09/07 04:36 AM
There's even a big one in Canada.

pmbuko #173933 08/10/07 03:50 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Wow, the greatest thing to come out of Saskat.... no, I won't...

Bren R.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020