Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: amps
#1737 02/23/02 10:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
A friend (one of my audio dealer buddies) had one floating around. He dropped it off for me to spend some quality time with. I put it in my hifi system, and spent about 2 weeks listening to it. It was an amp, I think a 700 series??? Lots of power as I recall...about 150+ watts / channel. I found it built solidly, plenty of power, but squarely aimed at HT. While I like HT, my main focus is music. I think the amp would be a good HT amp, but for music I found it lacking. I believe the company is aiming for the HT market, so in that realm, they have succeeded. I have heard of HT folks claiming to enjoy the AV receiver in the lineup, but I have not had the opportunity to listen.

As the original poster was aiming for an audio system, this would not fit my requirements if it were me making the decisions.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1738 02/24/02 02:01 AM
old hand
old hand
check out goodsound.com and their review of the Arcam DiVA A65 Integrated Amplifier. that's look like it may be something that would fit your needs.

#1739 02/24/02 02:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Strange coincidence--I just looked into the Outlaw, but found (at least without a demo) that it appeared more to HT and your opinion lends credence to that. I am more interested in stereo music, and would rather sacrifice HT for it, than stereo quality for HT.
On that note--do you have any experience with a system geared both towards HT and music, or is it more of both a pain a deterioration of quality?

Pete (original poster)

#1740 02/24/02 03:35 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In terms of the products Outlaw offer, yes I think they are squarely in the HT market. I am sure that in this realm, based on the comments of users, and the products design, they are probably very competent at this. The characteristics of HT and audio (in the strictly music listening sense) are somewhat different. You can design a system for each, but making a system exceptional at delivering both is tricky. It can be done, but as I am sure you know from my previous posts, I do not believe in compromising in certain areas. I have a separate HT system (of mediocre quality - it is not a major important sector of my life) and several systems strictly for audio - my wife is about to hijack my midfi system and Axioms, so I may get to build another midfi system soon!

Can it be done, yes. I have investigated the pieces I would include in a system designed for "best of both HT and Audio worlds". Will it be done......probably sometime down the road.

You seem to indicate audio is your leaning, so investigate that area. If you make quality choices (ie Axiom speakers, and one of the amps/preamps or integrateds of quality), you can use them as building blocks for ANY type of system. You can add an HT processor and use the amp section of a Rotel, add extra Axioms for surround, and you have a good HT system that will also be a quality audio system.

Regards,

BBIBH

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082