should I stretch beyond vp100, qs4's - medium room
#174007 08/09/07 03:57 AM
P
pmulvey Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
P
I have m60s in a room which is about 13 feet deep and 20 feet across - the tv faces me across the short length so the center would be about 8-9 feet from my ears. I love the m60s though might get m22s and a sub if I were doing it over - m60 do dominate the space a little and I hate people who cram oversized home entertainment stuff into tiny new york appartments - if you have a basement in the suburbs, go wild by all means ;-)

Just bought the apartment so not super-flush right now - wondering whether it is worth getting the vp150/qs8s given that the space is not all that big and I might not need them.

thanks

Re: should I stretch beyond vp100, qs4's - medium
pmulvey #174008 08/09/07 12:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The experts will be here soon but I think the answer to your question has more to do about 'what do you want to hear' verses the size of your room. Adding a center and surrounds is not really about adding volume, it's about adding surround effects and center clarity.

So if we take the space out of the equation for a moment,

Re. the center
Do you feel like you'd like to hear the dialog a bit louder or clearer over the rest of the movie/music sounds?
If you are seated in the center, you are already probably getting a good 'phantom' center effect from the to M60s but perhaps those seated off to the sides are hearing the dialog more from the side speakers and find it distracting.
If the answer is "Yes" to any of the baove, then you will enjoy having a center speaker.

Re. the surrounds.
Quit simply, do you want to hear surround effects. Noises coming from beside or behind you. Helicopters flying by, bullets wooshing past your head, etc... If so, then any sized room will benefit from having surround speakers to listen to 5.1 movies and mutli-channel music.

The M60s are gorgeous with music but a sub certainly adds some nice deep depth. For movies, it adds more fun factor than even surrounds for my own self.

However, perhaps I misread. Maybe you do already have a center and surrounds, just not the models you are considering upgrading to. If that's the case, I defer to the experts but can tell you my HT room is slightly smaller and I have M60s, VP150, QS8s and an EP500. None of these 'overpower' the room unless I make them do it. They all sound good at low or moderate volume levels so they can scale down to my room size and still sound good.

The sub might be the only thing to be careful with. It's easy to rattle your neighbors dishes with a big sub even at low volumes, simply because low frequencies love to travel through walls and visit the neighbors. However, if you set it at reasonable levels via its adjustments or via those on your amp, you should be able to keep from getting evicted as still enjoy the dramatic difference it makes.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #174009 08/11/07 01:19 AM
A
veteran
veteran
A
If you read his title I think he can't decide whether he should get the vp100 and qs4 or the vp150 and qs8. Just so you know, I have m60s with a vp100 and qs8s. I've never been unhappy with the vp100 and I went with the qs8 to keep the drivers all 5 1/4. qs8s are not that big.

From what i know from researching mine, is that the vp150 is great at keeping the center soundstage in larger rooms because it acts more like a line array than a single point speaker like the vp100. Overall, sound quality on my vp100 is excelent. I sit 11 feet away.

autoboy #174010 08/11/07 02:08 AM
P
pmulvey Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
P
Thanks autoboy - that is exactly my quandry - don't want to skimp but don't want to go overboard just for the sake of it. Got a reply from the axiom help guys today and they said the same thing as you - qs8 and vp100 - starting to get ready to take the plunge ;-)
peter

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters