Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Lawn mower purchase advice
michael_d #174180 08/13/07 02:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Last year I was living on a lot other than my own while our house was bing built. I already had a ride on but needed a push mower for many sections of this yard. Since it was only for one summer, I purchased a cheap mower at Walmart with a Briggs & Straton engine. I knew full well that B&S had sold its name to another company a few years ago and that their once respected quality had tumbled to 'laughing stock' ever since, but I wanted cheap.

Well that's exactly how long it lasted, One Year. Just long enough for the warranty to expire. I maintained it perfectly, did not abuse it and did not cut longer grass than it should. This summer, I did a section of my neighbors lawn for him and BANG! I haven't taken it apart yet but lets just say it won't start anymore.

The Honda engine advice is SOLID! You definitely get what you pay for.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
tomtuttle #174181 08/13/07 02:54 PM
J
hobbyist
hobbyist
J
Quote:

I really dig the idea of riding around and drinking beer, but the repairs and maintenance for a riding mower have got to make the privilege costly. Besides, then I'd have to find a place to park the SOB.

maybe I got lucky but I paid $300 for a used craftsman that I've put absolutely $0 into for the past 3 summers (except gas). I park it behind my garage & throw a tarp over for the winter. I'm telling you, the looks of envy from every guy worth his salt in the neighbourhood is priceless. FYI, from personal experience you will have to install a beer holder. Cooler is optional on a 1/4 acre lot.

don't forget you can get a snowblower attachment for it too. the beer holder can double as a cognac holder in the colder months

JimLogan #174182 08/13/07 03:21 PM
veteran
veteran
I would look for a old used pusher with a B&S motor. My original pusher (my Dad gave it to me) had a B&S motor on it and is close to 25 years old, if not older. I gave it back to him about three years ago since I needed one with the large wheels on the back. My current mower with a B&S motor as well, was rescued from a trash pile in the front of a guy's house. (I checked with him before taking it.) The only problem was that he let condensation build up in the gas tank. Emptied the tank and cleaned the carb and good as new. I just check the oil before I use it each time and add as needed. I change it twice a year.

I also have a Craftsman rider that the owner of my current house left behind. The only problem was that the tires were flat. 17 plugs later, I have a perfectly good mower. I also check the oil before each use and change twice a year. I also sharpen the blades on both about every three months. I prefer to use the push mower for excercise since I hate running on a treadmill. Takes me about 1 1/2 hours to push the first acre (on a slope) plus weedeating and blowing and another hour to ride the second acre (open field). Don't know why I've never thought about putting a beer holder on the rider. DOH!

Stymie #174183 08/13/07 05:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just to be clear, if you can find an older Briggs and Stratton, I would agree with the above. Older models are a tough motor. There is one in my Troy Built lawn tractor that is still working seamlessly after 9 years of cutting an acre and a third. I'm not sure what year it was taken over by a new company but if you compare an older B&S engine with something you'll find in a store today, you easily will see that they have gone the route of lower end, mass market production.

Also, I second that a lawn tractor is not a high maintenance investment at all unless you buy an old beater. On the tractor mentioned above, I change the oil filter and spark plug every year, clean the air filter with some gas, sharpen the blades every couple of years and that's pretty much it. In nine years, I bought 1 new belt (it's hydrostatic) and had it tuned up twice. I repaired one flat tire by adding a 6 dollar tube. That's it for maintenance. Worry free yard racing.

However, if you can comfortably cut your lawn with a push mower, then I would still say don't bother with a ride on. Good exercise, you often need one anyways to get into tighter areas and the smaller engine produces less emissions.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #174184 08/13/07 09:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Tom, my advice would be to forget the lawnmower, get the new TV you were asking about and relax.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #174185 08/13/07 10:19 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Well, Michael, that is certainly my preference. The Tuttle Family CFO has a different view of priorities, however. She thinks we're already overcapitalized on interior resources.

I'm not very good at that whole "relaxing" thing. But JP's trying to help me.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #174186 08/14/07 02:37 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Hey, come up to Iowa... The Iowa State Fair (largest in the country) is going on right now. If you time it right, you could pick up a couple of goats on the cheap... Easy to take care of, but be sure to keep them out of the neighbor's bushes...
LOL

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #174187 08/14/07 02:39 AM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Oh sure, the goats are cheap, but I understand that all subwoofers go "thump thumpity thump thumpity" in Iowa.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #174188 08/14/07 02:55 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Yep, and you can by Natural Light real cheap. Just go down to K-mart and get a K-Pro pusher with a Tecumseh motor, you'll be fine until the wheel axels fall through the flimsy sheet metal on the mower deck.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

RickF #174189 08/15/07 10:43 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

Due to my rigorous work schedule throughout the summer months I just don't want to take the time to mess around with yard work for a couple of hours on my one day off during the week

Bob, you're required to turn in your man card at the closest drinking establishment to your current position.

Seriously though, summer for me is crazy (150 hours billable so far this month), but for me... the lawn needs to be mowed, I'm taking that 90 minutes, period, end-stop. But then again, I also find it calming and soothing and a good reminder of why I work (to pay for lovely things like my house)... so I do it. Lisa suggested that we could get a professional in to do it... I counteroffered that we could get a professional in to take care of some of the more intimate things she has to do as well, she saw it my way.

Bren R.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020