Rate Thread
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
Re: Speakers and Equipment-both make a difference
Mojo #174531 08/15/07 03:06 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mojo wrote:

2X6,

Those are some interesting comments that you made about the speakers resonating. How do we test that?

I don't know how you'd test that, but it is easy to enjoy it.

BTW, for music, I prefer a nice 2.1 channel stereo to either 5.1 or 7.1.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
2x6spds #174532 08/15/07 04:24 AM
shareholder in the making
Quote:

The point is, when you audition speakers in an audio salon, unless they are the only speakers in the room, you are not only hearing those speakers, but all the speakers in the room. Just a thought.

In the sense that each object in the room changes its acoustic signature, yes I'd agree. But if you're saying the the sound waves emanating from the active speakers are causing sympathetic vibrations in the drivers contained in inactive speakers and that those vibrations cause excursion significant enough to be audible, then I'm going to have to doubt it.

pmbuko #174533 08/15/07 04:54 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Charles, I'm delighted that you are enjoying your new equipment, except that you're making me want to "change" mine also.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
cgolf #174534 08/15/07 09:57 AM
T
old hand
old hand
T
Quote:

I was at the audio store the other day and was listening to a set of Vandersteen 2CEs I think and the new Quatro series. The sound was great but the imaging was spectacular and this is what got my attention. I began to wonder why I wasn't getting the same separation and imaging from my Axioms. I know understand just how much difference good equipment and room acoustics impacts sound. Enter the new Emotiva amp and processor. Once I set these up at my house, I noticed a vast improvement in the imaging and SQ of my system and more importantly, my Axioms. Poor things had never had anything feeding them where they could perform. Yes, great speakers make the most difference. However, great speakers can only do so much without decent input!! Just an observation.

Wow Charles,

I've just viewed this thread and am a little shocked at some of the negative responses!

I'm with you 100%...My Emotiva UT Series has taken my HT Audio experience a Quantum Leap Forward compared to my previous Sony Elite receiver (that wasn't too shabby before)! What you heard in your separate set up enhancement is REAL!! I've experienced the Same Improvements and feel Most will with whatever speaker systems used!

Wait till you start hearing the audio "improvement" findings the A1400-8 will make!

Ted

Samsung 67" DLP 1080P * 2-Axiom EP500 PSW's * Emotiva UT Series Amps * Acoutimass 15's 5.1 = WOW!
Mojo #174535 08/15/07 11:01 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
A quote from Ian "Over the years I have always found the sound differences between amplifiers to be subtle when compared to the differences found in speakers. Hence if budget is a concern you are probably better to cut a little deeper on the amp side. The main reason for this is that amplifiers (with the exception of some bizarre designs out there) do not colour the tonal balance of the performance nor have any bearing on the off axis response. This does not mean that all amplifiers sound the same but that different factors come into play. Without question the big one is the amount of power available to play dynamic peaks. Wid was commenting earlier about the statement that at normal listening levels you do not need more than a watt or two and I agree with him that this statement is, in practical terms, false; though granted in mathematical terms under certain conditions it can be proved true. The power required to bring home a great performance can get pretty large if you want even just moderate listening levels in a large space without any clipping in the dynamics. The reality is that when most people want to crank up their system they rarely achieve the volume level they truly want; instead they go to the level of clipping distortion in the dynamics that they can put up with (which sounds painfully harsh and loud even if it isn’t).

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #174536 08/15/07 11:07 AM
cgolf Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
This has been a very interesting discussion. I've learned a few things and whatever the physics involved, scientific parameters or mathmatical concepts are, what I know is this-my system is very different and much fuller and dynamic than before. YES!!!!! Now, I wonder about those $700 cables and interconnects I saw?????????? hahahaha.......

cgolf #174537 08/15/07 11:50 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Charlie - Have you made any room acoustics changes to your listening area? I have a pair of GIK Acoustics Tri-Traps on order and I'll report any improvements after receiving them. Glad that you are enjoying the new amp.

Wid #174538 08/15/07 11:51 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

false; though granted in mathematical terms under certain conditions it can be proved true.

Once Again, Homer proves he is the maaster of modern philosophy. See signature.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Wid #174539 08/15/07 11:54 AM
T
old hand
old hand
T
Quote:

The power required to bring home a great performance can get pretty large if you want even just moderate listening levels in a large space without any clipping in the dynamics. The reality is that when most people want to crank up their system they rarely achieve the volume level they truly want; instead they go to the level of clipping distortion in the dynamics that they can put up with (which sounds painfully harsh and loud even if it isn’t).

Well put, Rick!!

This Is the most striking "real-world" gain I've realized with a 125w\ch separate power amp vs a 100w\ch good receiver! My setup can now play Much Louder, w\o distortion, irritation, fatigue or strain with the Emo UT series separates powering it.

The other substantial improvements I've gained in separation, depth, soundstage and bandwidth are probably better related to receiver design compromises rather than just fantastic separates, or a combination of both!!! But it IS REAL!

Ted

Samsung 67" DLP 1080P * 2-Axiom EP500 PSW's * Emotiva UT Series Amps * Acoutimass 15's 5.1 = WOW!
Theo #174540 08/15/07 11:56 AM
You also seem to have gained exclamation points!!!

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters