Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: DirecTv - some advice for you
HomeDad #175169 08/22/07 04:18 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Thanks, Ray. Want to make a few calls for me?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #175170 08/22/07 06:50 PM
B
buff
buff
B
Thanks for that info. Called just now and have an install coming tomorrow. H20or 21 installed. They took $75 off and free install.

Again, thanks for the heads up.

Bill3508

Bill3508 #175171 08/22/07 08:04 PM
axiomite
axiomite
How much are you all paying for the HD service? I am on Dish right now with 4 TVs, 2 are on the same DVR box, no HD content. I have their 100 channel package, and with all service fees (not the tax) I pay $45.98 a month. I would love to get all 4 TVs on DVR and upgrade 1 to HD for my home theater, but I don't want to shell out $75 a month or something for TV.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #175172 08/22/07 08:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I went out to try to figure out how "cheap" I could get the package to switch to DirecTV, and it isn't cheap at all.

From what everything is telling me, I need a seperate receiver for EACH TV, is that correct? Right now I have 2 receivers, and each receiver handles 2 seperate TVs (on seperate channels) at the same time. One of those is also a DVR, so I can start playing back a show in the living room at night, and then if it gets late, I can continue it up in our bedroom since those 2 TVs are using the one, dual tuner DVR. I also have 100 channels (not counting PPV, or music channels) and again, with all of the fees it runs me about $45 a month. Now, if I switch and upgrade to HD content, with DirecTV, it is something like $65 a month for the first 4 months, but I wonder what it will go to after that promo period. It also will cost me around $300 in up front equipment fees (HD DVR, etc)... YIKES... I love the idea of HD content in my home theater, but if that is the driving force, then I am not sure that I can honestly justify a switch.

I know that I could always call them, but I am not a loyal customer of 12 years or anything.

Someone give me some good news here. I would LOVE to get a bunch of HD channels...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #175173 08/22/07 08:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I just moved to my new house and shelled out some cash to have cable jacks installed in every room ($80 bucks or so.) So I will not be switching anytime soon.

I have cable with HD+DVR+ a couple of movie channels + highspeed internet and my bill is not cheap.

However, I got this from the dircecTV web site:

The future of television has arrived. DIRECTV brings you our new HD DVR, soon with the capacity to offer 100 HD channels*

*Number of channels subject to available HD programming.

While it is neat that they are adding the CAPACITY for 100 hd channels, until there are 100 worthwhile HD networks I will not even think about switching. I am sure my cable company has the CAPACITY for more HD channels then they provide. I just don't understand what good a 100 channel hd capacity is without 100 quality HD networks.

Show me a channel lineup and I will re-consider dishing out money to my cable provider.

However, I do like the idea of being able to add an external hard-drive for extra storage. Our DVR does not have that feature but I think we can DVR to the hard drive on the computer with our windows media center PC...

-David
nickbuol #175174 08/22/07 09:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Nick, these are the offers going on now DIRECTV I believe they will also install up to 4 regular systems for free. HDDVR and HD boxes are a bit more.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
terzaghi #175175 08/22/07 09:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Although you may have the ability to get the 100 channels it all depends on your programming choice, I'm sure they will be offering many in the premium services such as HBO and Showtime, I just have the regular 185 channels, but since the HD package is only $9.99 even if I only get 10 more channels like HGTV, SCIFI ,History and A&E I'll be a happy camper.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #175176 08/22/07 09:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Cox just added A&E HD to the lineup a month or so ago. It has some pretty good shows on it.

I won't be switching from cable anytime soon, but hopefully this will put pressure on cable companies and others to increase their HD lineup

Last edited by terzaghi; 08/22/07 09:31 PM.

-David
HomeDad #175177 08/22/07 09:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Nick, these are the offers going on now DIRECTV I believe they will also install up to 4 regular systems for free. HDDVR and HD boxes are a bit more.

It is $298 in startups getting HDDVR (that I can't watch anywhere else) and a seperate SDDVR (for 1 TV) and 2 non-HD, non-DVR boxes. If I simply add a 3rd SDDVR, it jumps to $397 in startup costs and the monthly bill jumps from $69 to $79 (after the first 4 months of "$5 off").

I'm just not sure that it is worth the cost. Those already loyal to DirecTV and can get free hardware upgrades and such are the lucky ones.

The following is the list (dated May 7, 2007 from www.dbstalk.com) of the proposed new HD channels for DirecTV. Of them, my family and I would watch (many of these on somewhat rare basis):
TNT
Discovery HD Theater
Animal Planet
Discovery Channel
Food Network
HGTV
Sci-Fi
Disney Channel
ABC Family
Hallmark Channel

----THE LIST----

Available Now:

70 HBO East
71 SHO East
72 ESPN2
73 ESPN
74 UHD
75 TNT
76 Discovery HD Theater
78 HD Net Movies
79 HD Net

98 National Geographic Channel Sneak Peek (Times vary)
332 MHD Sneek Peek (Times vary)

99 HD Pay-Per-View

Depending on service area and equipment:

ABC
CBS
NBC
FOX
CW
MY Network TV

Local Regional Sports Network

Coming in September:

A&E
Animal Planet
Big Ten Network
Chiller
CineMax East
CineMax West
CNN
Discovery Channel (simulcast)
Food Network
HBO West
HGTV
History Channel
MHD (MTV)
NFL Network (Full-Time)
Science Channel
Showtime West
Starz! East
Starz! West
Starz! Edge
Starz! Comedy
Starz! Kids & Family
The Movie Channel
The National Geographic Channel
TBS
TLC
The Weather Channel
Versus/Golf

November:

RFD TV

Fall 2007:

Bravo
Cartoon
CNBC
FX
HBO2 East
HBO2 West
HBO Family East
HBO Family West
HBO Latino East
HBO Signature East
MoreMax East
Sci-Fi
Sleuth
Speed
USA

21 Regional Sports Networks:

Blackout Rules still apply!

Altitude
Comcast SportsNet Chicago
Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic
FSN Arizona
FSN Bay Area
FSN Detroit
FSN Florida
FSN New England
FSN North
FSN Northwest
FSN Ohio
FSN Prime Ticket
FSN Rocky Mountain
FSN South
FSN Southwest
FSN West
New England Sports Network
SportsNet New York
SportsSouth
Sun Sports
YES

December 2007:

The Tennis Channel

Spring 2008

Disney Channel
Toon Disney
ABC Family
ESPN News
Hallmark Channel
MGM

Announced HD for Fall 2007 but not announced for DirecTV yet:

Trinity Broadcasting Network

Announced HD channel rollouts by Spring 2008 but no carriage announcements for DirecTV yet:

MAV TV, HBO Comedy East/West, HBO Latino West, HBO Signature West, HBO Zone East/West, @Max East, 5 Star Max East, ActionMax East/West, MoreMax West, OuterMax East, ThrillerMax East/West, WMax East

Existing HD that I have no carriage info for:

Lifetime HD, MOJO, Outdoor 2, Playboy, Wealth

Farewell - June 4, 2020
terzaghi #175178 08/22/07 09:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

I just moved to my new house and shelled out some cash to have cable jacks installed in every room ($80 bucks or so.) So I will not be switching anytime soon.

Yeah, my house has a minimum of 3 cable, 3 network, and 3 phone lines in each room (except the bathrooms). My home theater has a couple more cable and network jacks, and my living room basically has 6 of each. I still don't have cable TV... I've looked into is MANY, MANY times, but they just can't compete (in the Des Moines, Iowa area anyway) with Dish or DirecTV. I even looked at their bundled TV, phone, internet package (since I am already getting killed paying them $60.95 a month for internet), and if I kept their internet, dropped Dish and went with cable tv, and then dropped my Vonage, and went with their VOIP phone, it would cost me around $185 a month, vs. $133 that I pay now for all of that. And I still wouldn't have HD channels. Darn cable companies.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020