Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mirage better than Axiom????!
#175246 08/23/07 12:25 AM
ditcin Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hi everyone. I have a friend who I’m trying to get to buy Axiom but he’s hell bent on Mirage. Personally, I haven’t heard them, but he says he likes them better than what I have. He says they are more “open” and are more directional. I don’t know exactly which series or model he’s referring to but I do know they are towers, in cherry and he says the surrounds are small, not bi/di-poles.
I couldn’t believe felt the Axioms weren’t clean enough for him. Has anyone here actually heard these Mirage’s in action? Being so thrilled with my M80, V150, 4 QS8’s plus a front side pair of M2’s and a EP600 I just don’t get it. (Though he did admit the EP600 was incredible)

Re: Mirage better than Axiom????!
ditcin #175247 08/23/07 03:29 AM
C
devotee
devotee
C
Just let your friend get what he wants. Speakers are so much of a personal preference and in the end they will be grinding on you if they dont like what you suggested.

Here are the Mirage that I listened to in a local dealer and as a 5.1 system it was great, but really didnt impress me much for 2ch for the price.

Mirage Omnisat

I have a friend that was hell bent on a Sharp LCD because it was the most expensive panel they could find and "plasmas burn in". I later found out that the video processor in it doesnt fully resolve a 1080P test pattern and it processes standard def much worse than my JVC HDILA.

I'm happy and he still tells himself he is despite the pic quality difference. Some people dont want to hear advice.

ditcin #175248 08/23/07 03:45 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
You can view my post on this.

ditcin #175249 08/23/07 04:04 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
I owned some older Mirage towers briefly, but passed them on to someone else when I decided my Polk bookshelves were more to my liking. I bought the Mirages used just to try out the omnidirectional dispersion. I wasn't impressed with the clarity and low end. I would hope newer models would be better, but anyway, that's my experience with Mirage.

CV #175250 08/23/07 04:48 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I own Mirage Omnisats and inwalls.

I originally had the Omnisats in the kitchen before realizing how horrifically ugly they really are. Upon this revelation, I moved them to my office. I was not impressed with them in the relatively large space of the kitchen, but for nearfield listening at my desk, I think they are superb.

The inwalls that replaced them in the kitchen are - I think - a very good value. They are better in that application than either the Rocket OD100's or the Omnisats were.

I think it's dangerous to compare a single example from a given manufacturer and extrapolate the impressions to other models.

I'd buy Mirage products again if the application and value proposition was right.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #175251 08/23/07 05:01 AM
C
CV Offline
C
I do own the Spherex Xbox 5.1 Surround Sound System, which I use with my computer, and it uses the same type of omnidirectional dispersion, only it's a paper cone. It's not Mirage, but it is. Spherex is a subdivision of API, which Mirage is also a part of. They used Mirage's technology and licensed several other technologies to make it. I do like this system a bit better than those towers. I would try Mirage's products again, but not at the moment. I don't see enough value with their current offerings, but maybe down the line.

ditcin #175252 08/23/07 06:19 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
What type of environment did he listen to the Mirages in. Unless he was to set up both the Mirages and the Axioms in the same room, there is really no way to give them a good comparison. He may get them home and realize that they sound different than what he expected.
If he does get them and he is willing to bring them to your place to do a side by side I would love to hear the results.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #175253 08/23/07 12:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I also go with the 'whatever makes you happy' approach to giving advice on purchases. I will explain my opinion and why I think that way but won't press the matter unless I know of a serious flaw that will mean the product is bound to failure and disappointment in a short time. This comes from years of my wife asking what I think then going with her first choice anyways.

What I can share is that I heard the Omnisat FS system up against the Paradigm Studio system in a sound and video shop. It wasn't a double blind listening test or anything but the differences were not subtle in the low end so I think it's fair to say that I heard more clarity in the low end in the Paradigms. I think the Mirage's actually did go lower in bass but it just didn't sound right. Distracting almost.

However, that could have been because the Paradigms were so clear on what they could do that any extra bass would have been distracting and thus unfairly interpreted.

In any case, I throw it out there as a totally subjective opinion since you asked. It doesn't compare it to Axioms but may be helpful.

In the end, if he likes it after listening to both, let him buy it. Another option might be to see if the store would let him take the speakers to your place so he could listen to both in the same room. Again, not scientific enough for some but better than comparing from two separate rooms.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
ditcin #175254 08/23/07 11:04 PM
Did he do a SIDE by SIDE comparison of both speaker brands in the same room, after calibrating and using proper placement?

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

ctown #175255 08/23/07 11:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Just let your friend get what he wants. Speakers are so much of a personal preference and in the end they will be grinding on you if they dont like what you suggested.

Yep.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082