Print Thread
Rate Thread
? for Denon owners
#175522 08/27/07 05:22 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
An earlier posting made me bring up the pdf for my Denon 3806. My eyeballs happened to catch this item even though it's unrelated to what I was looking for.
----------------------------
LFE (Low Frequency Effect):
This sets the level of the LFE (Low Frequency Effect) sounds
included in the source when playing program sources recorded
in Dolby Digital, DTS, DVD-audio or Super Audio CD.
Program source and adjustment range:
–10 dB to 0 dB
When DTS encoded movie software is played, it is
recommended that the LFE LEVEL be set to 0 dB for
correct DTS playback.
When DTS encoded music software is played, it is
recommended that the LFE LEVEL be set to –10 dB for
correct DTS playback.
---------------------------

This appears to be separate from the sub channel setting when you set the db levels for all your speakers. I never spotted it before, so I'm not sure.

Will this automatically adjust when Dolby changes to DTS or does it have to be manually changed.

If manual, is anybody doing this? I can't imagine it being manual but it is not clear.

Am I misunderstanding this? 10db is a lot of SPL in the difference.....

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: ? for Denon owners
Murph #175523 08/27/07 05:45 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
Hi,

Yes, I spotted this on my 2105 and if you push "menu/guide" on your remote while in DD or DTS, it will bring up a menu where you can adjust it. I never do because I am somewhat of a basshead .

Mojo #175524 08/28/07 11:40 AM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks Mojo,

After I found it I considered adding it as part of a macro in my remote but I think I'll just remain the way I am. I was perfectly happy in my ignorance induced bliss before, so why meddle.

Murph #175525 08/28/07 01:42 PM
M
M
Quote:

I was perfectly happy in my ignorance induced bliss before, so why meddle.

For most people, the less they know about audio, the better. We have a saying in my home country: the more you pick at it, the more it stinks .

Mojo #175526 08/29/07 11:39 AM
buff
buff
Maybe this is obvious to everyone, but I was a little confused by the the LFE setting you are referring to. As I now understand it, only the volume of the LFE track is affected, NOT the SW volume as a whole. Sound that is sent to the SW by crossover settings should be unaffected. This explains why changing the setting did not seem to make much difference in the over all bass level. In my experience, some DTS music recordings have an extremely exagerated LFE channel when played at normal settings.

maphiker
maphiker #175527 08/29/07 12:11 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Ack, just when I was happy with my ignorance, you peaked my curiosity again.

Just so I understand, you are saying that....
-- The entire LFE channel will flow to the sub at neg-10, or whatever this extra setting is placed at.
-- Any lows in the other channels will play at normal settings (except what's being cut off from crossover settings.)

--End Result is that if it is left at zero, one could be getting above normal bass volume when playing 'some' DTS music.

Perhaps this is why I find I prefer DTS over Dolby. Maybe I'm a bass head and didn't even realize.............. heh heh

I'm betting now that the "some" dts music part is also why one of my favorite things to do to people who want to hear my speakers is first play the Eagles-Hell Freezes Over to impress them with the amazing accuracy and how every instrument sounds like it's right in the room. Then when they are all relaxed I put in Nine Inch Nails - Live Beside you in Time, go right to the song "Closer" and watch their faces as the walls start to shake even though I didn't change the volume levels.

Of course, it's a louder DVD all round and I'm convinced that they, NIN, sometimes mix their bass through electronics to lower the frequencies below the natural levels anyways.

I digress, but thanks for answering my question.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044