Print Thread
Rate Thread
Calibrating speakers with Emotiva LMC-1
#177377 09/28/07 10:08 AM
cgolf Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Question for those of you who have the Emotiva LMC-1. Seems like I read on the Emotiva board somewhere that calibrating speakers with the LMC set to different modes--ie, bypass, AC-3, etc. would result in different speaker level settings. I have calibrated my speakers a number of times and get different settings each time-sometimes significant. Anyone else have this issue or have any thoughts?? Wouldn't any processing, etc. be nullified during the calibration cycle?? on any equipment??

Re: Calibrating speakers with Emotiva LMC-1
cgolf #177378 09/29/07 11:08 PM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
When I calibrate, I use the noise generator built into my Denon. I cannot select the processing mode during calibration. And I don't know why a manufacturer would permit you to do so. If you think about it, processing modes operate by comparing data from multiple channels, extracting ambience (time difference) information and then steering that information to the correct speaker. During calibration, only one channel is of interest at any one time so the notion of processing becomes moot.

Now let's get to your second point. I and numerous others that I know of on these boards have difficulty calibrating using their pre/pro's calibration system but no problem calibrating using an SPL meter. My Denon for example auto-calibrates every speaker (except the sub) to +12dB (maximum level) which is dead wrong. It's also a fact that the Denon auto-calibrated just fine many many times during my first three months of Axiom ownership. And I never had this problem with my previous system as evidenced by dozens of auto-cals.

I've been meaning to try resetting my Denon to see if this takes care of the problem. At least one other reported that resetting didn't help.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044