Rate Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: You know that $1 millon speaker wire challenge
pmbuko #180148 10/23/07 12:05 PM
R
buff
buff
R
I didn't take it as a judgement. I am a card carrying athiest with religious friends so I sometimes reflexively bite my tongue when I talk about beliefs. You are right. This is faith of a non-religious kind, but unlike religion, this faith is more based on faulty evidence then dogmatic belief. After all they have the evidence of their "Golden Ears" to support them.

There are two things that magicians like the Amazing Randi know, how to fool people, and more importantly, how people fool themselves, and that's how the "Golden Ear" syndrome works.

RickWhittle #180159 10/23/07 02:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Rick, we have regulars on this board who believe there are differences in many links in the audio chain (receivers, DACs, interconnects, speaker wire, etc.). Let's call them subjectivists. And, there are board regulars who disagree. Let's call them objectivists (made-up word). Each side, of course, thinks the other is incorrect and misguided, which sometimes, regrettably, leads to our discussions deteriorating from arguments into quarrels (see my tired ol' signature below). We can go a long way toward avoiding this if we restrict our discussion to the issues, avoid the personal insults, and treat those who hold an opinion which differs from our own with a little respect (poor misguided fools though they be ;\) ).

In general, we strive to avoid discussing religion and politics because they are such "hot button" issues. Personally (I do not pretend to speak for other members), regarding these two "hot-button" issues specifically, I have no quarrel with someone who, as you did, states what they believe (or don't believe, as the case may be), as long as there is no attempt to argue that position and/or convince others they are wrong to believe otherwise.

There are many here who hold beliefs which differ from mine who I like, respect, and consider good friends (even if they are really silly ). I hope you'll feel the same, eventually \:\) .

DISCLAIMER: Before the "who died and made you moderator" comments begin, I wish to make clear that the above is merely my opinion, nothing more; nothing less, which I feel I have the right, as do all of us here, to express.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #180167 10/23/07 04:09 PM
R
buff
buff
R
 Originally Posted By: Ajax
I have no quarrel with someone who, as you did, states what they believe (or don't believe, as the case may be), as long as there is no attempt to argue that position and/or convince others they are wrong to believe otherwise.

There are many here who hold beliefs which differ from mine who I like, respect, and consider good friends (even if they are really silly ). I hope you'll feel the same, eventually \:\) .

I have no problem being friends with people who disagree with me and I have no agenda to try convince other people that there views are wrong, beyond the following: If someone states something is true based on their evidence and upon due examination I find their evidence lacking, I will say so politely and without rancor and offer and alternative view. If they take offense at that point I couldn't be friends with them anyway. If they choose to ignore what I say that's fine too. My ego is not caught up in proving that I'm right, even if I am.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Ajax.

RickWhittle #180170 10/23/07 04:36 PM
shareholder in the making
Who died and made you moderator, Jack?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #180172 10/23/07 04:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Who died and made you moderator, Jack?

Dirty rakinfrakin #$@&*&*##% #@$# &**) #$!

;\) Laughed aloud. \:D

Jack

RickWhittle #180175 10/23/07 05:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: Rick_Whittle
 Originally Posted By: Ajax
I have no quarrel with someone who, as you did, states what they believe (or don't believe, as the case may be), as long as there is no attempt to argue that position and/or convince others they are wrong to believe otherwise.

I have no problem being friends with people who disagree with me and I have no agenda to try convince other people that there views are wrong, beyond the following: If someone states something is true based on their evidence and upon due examination I find their evidence lacking, I will say so politely and without rancor and offer and alternative view. If they take offense at that point I couldn't be friends with them anyway. If they choose to ignore what I say that's fine too. My ego is not caught up in proving that I'm right, even if I am.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Ajax.

Jack

Ajax #180183 10/23/07 05:20 PM
aficionado
aficionado
You know that that hand gesture has different meanings around the world. :P

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
JaimeG #180188 10/23/07 05:30 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Ha ha, I think Jack is WELL aware.

RickWhittle #180190 10/23/07 05:40 PM
 Quote:
There are many here who hold beliefs which differ from mine who I like, respect, and consider good friends (even if they are really silly ). I hope you'll feel the same, eventually .

Some even believed that the Indians had a shot over the Red Sox!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #180191 10/23/07 05:42 PM
Well, football can be like that.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters