Bi-amping
#1817 02/25/02 05:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have an Onkyo 777 receiver (105 wpc), and have just acquired a Sunfire Cinema Grand amplifier (200 wpc).

I have read that bi-wiring provides little or no effect, but that bi-amping can provide sonic improvement.

Would it be reasonable to wire two channels of the Sunfire to each front (M80) speaker, one to each set of posts...and the fifth channel to the center (VP150)...and continue to drive the QS8s off of the receiver?

Why? Well,,,,if it works, it just seemed like a good idea to maximize the use of the Sunfire for the fronts since the surrounds would not normally require the same level of amplification for their primary role of sound reinforcement.

I realize I may be displaying my ignorance here, but hey, if I don't ask I will never know.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Bi-amping
#1818 02/28/02 11:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello,
Yes, you can try that. I'm not convinced you'll hear any improvement but who knows. ..? Bi-amping can be especially useful for owners of tiny, low-powered tube amps. The latter can be used to power the tweeter/midranges, where power demands of music are modest, and the two channels of a powerful amp can drive the woofers, where serious power is required, especially on large musical works with bass drum and big dynamic peaks...

Alan Lofft
Axiom Resident Expert

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616