Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Question for the avid readers here
St_PatGuy #183068 11/12/07 12:20 AM
shareholder in the making
A lot of them. If it's a long series, I've probably read the earlier books at least 3 times.

RIP, Robert Jordan.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
St_PatGuy #183070 11/12/07 12:24 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Speaking of interactive fiction, I have 10 of the Super Endless Quest Adventure Gamebooks, but I've never read them. Some guy did some work on one of my websites a long time ago, and he said that if I wanted to pay him, I should send him some of those. Well, I found them at a second-hand store, I believe, but lost contact with him, so they've been sitting on my shelf ever since. I still feel bad I never got to send him his books.

Ken.C #183072 11/12/07 12:29 AM
C
CV Offline
C
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
RIP, Robert Jordan.

Hear, hear. People badmouth him a lot, but I still admire what he was able to do. The staggering level of detail and the sheer size of his world, owing to almost every mythology there is. I thought he brought it all together very well. That being said, he did get off track after book 6, and I haven't even read the last two published books. However, I will reread the series when the final book is finally published, as I have to find out how it ends. I've read the first 6 books probably three times, but it's been a long time, and it's easy to forget so much of what's gone on.

CV #183073 11/12/07 12:38 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: CV
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
RIP, Robert Jordan.

Hear, hear. People badmouth him a lot, but I still admire what he was able to do. The staggering level of detail and the sheer size of his world, owing to almost every mythology there is. I thought he brought it all together very well. That being said, he did get off track after book 6, and I haven't even read the last two published books. However, I will reread the series when the final book is finally published, as I have to find out how it ends. I've read the first 6 books probably three times, but it's been a long time, and it's easy to forget so much of what's gone on.

Wow, I did not know he passed. His series is what I had foremost in my mind when I started this thread, as I've read it twice, up to book six, like Charles. I definitely see myself going over it again and finishing up the rest of the books.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #183111 11/12/07 04:36 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: HomeDad
Every once in awhile I'll go back and read some of the books I really enjoyed, usually classics or a series like Lord of the Rings. I've been reading a couple hours every night until I fall asleep for around 45 years now, so there are times I'll get into a novel then realize I've already read it. Now I try to stick with current bestsellers or books with a recent copyright so I know I haven't read it before, or try books from a genre I don't usually read.

Me too. Still read in bed every night. Sometimes I can only get through a few pages before turning out the light. Sometimes, if I find the book riveting, I'll do one of my favorite things in life.......read until sunrise.

Reading is one of the great joys in my life. I spend more time than I'd like waiting in doctor's offices, airports, and elsewhere. As long as I have my book, I'm never bored.

Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
When I was younger, I'd read every night before going to sleep. Now, I only get a couple of pages and I'm out. It's amazing what one can do in the afternoon when you don't turn the TV on.

Michael, like you, I've been reading for years and years, and just recently I've come to realize there are books I don't remember reading. It can sometimes be confusing at the bookstore.

I hate it when I pick up a book, and after the first chapter or so, realize I've already read it. At my age that, unfortunately, happens all too often.

I do, sometimes, reread books I've read and enjoyed years ago. Though I've not read them in years and years, I've read the entire Sherlock Holmes series at least 3 times. Hmmm? Might have to do that again soon.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #183112 11/12/07 04:41 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Quote:
Sometimes, if I find the book riveting, I'll do one of my favorite things in life.......read until sunrise.

There are those rare books that are so totally captivating they make you forgo things like sleeping, eating, working, etc. I love those kind of books. "I'll just read one more chapter, then I'll go to sleep." Yup, before you know it, here comes the sun.

Ajax #183113 11/12/07 04:42 AM
C
CV Offline
C
I have The Annotated Sherlock Holmes, which is pretty cool, but I only made it a third of the way through. I should try again, as there was some really good stuff in there.

Ajax #183121 11/12/07 05:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Quote:
Sometimes, if I find the book riveting, I'll do one of my favorite things in life.......read until sunrise.

Jack, I'll do the same thing, with certain novels it's like an adrenaline rush and I can't stop until I'm done, then I can't fall asleep once I'm finished. Then I get the ones that are enjoyable but will put me out like a light after 30 minutes \:\)

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
St_PatGuy #183122 11/12/07 05:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Now you're typing faster than me \:D

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #183132 11/12/07 07:26 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup