Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Closing your eyes while listening?
#18500 08/27/03 09:01 PM
sushi Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
ravi_singh's recent post triggered me to make this thread (in my futile effort to keep these boards as an AUDIO forum... LOL)

I ask this because, to me, closing eyes actually makes it more difficult to "visualize" the orchestra/band/musicians in front of me. With my eyes closed, the sound image tends to be more blurry. It is in fact easier for me to visually image the instruments when I keep my eyes open, regardless of whether the room is fairly dark or brightly lit.

Is it just me? Am I idiosyncratic on this one? Or there are some people who feels the same way with me?

Do you close your eyes when you seriously listen to music?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 05/24/06 10:11 PM
Re: Closing your eyes while listening?
#18501 08/27/03 09:48 PM
shareholder in the making
I voted that it didn't matter to me because I do both.

I often close my eyes when I'm the only one home and there's nobody to laugh at me... Anyhow, the longer I have my eyes closed, the more effective it becomes in removing me from experiencing a pair of speakers and moving me toward experiencing music. If I only have them closed for a short time, the mental image of the speakers' locations is still sharp in my mind.

I sometimes go back and forth between open and closed to make sure the sounds coming from way off to the left or right are really being generated by the speakers.

#18502 08/27/03 11:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Last time I closed my eyes listening to music something like Norah Jones ... I woke up 30 minutes later wiping the drol from the corner of my mouth.
I think its time to change that comfy loveseat. Its counter productive to my listening sessions.

#18503 08/27/03 11:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I like to just close my eyes and relax. lay back. sometimes i go to sleep but with my eyes closed i can just enjoy the music more and just become more involved. But listening critically (seriuossly) and just for enjoyment should be kept seperate. critical listening for demo equipment etc to focus on the gear. listen for enjoyement just because you like music. Most of the time when i listen to music its at night when its dark and theres nothing to look at anyway. Ive heard that the brain processes visually before it does audio so when you close your eyes your able to focus on the music more.

But when ive got my eyes closed i cant tell where the speakers are. i dont visualize the speakers because thats just how good the axioms are! seruously, if i put a sheet in front of the stereo and brough someone in that didnt know about stereo setups and told them to listen they would tell me i had speakers all over. they would NEVER be able to pinpoint where the two were.

sometimes with some music i go into this trance type mode where its like im weightless and just enveloped in the music. its a very VERY intersting and cool sensation. im not making this up. i cant explain.

And alot of times when its getting late and im listening to something like clapton or just about anything i will just doze off 3/4 the way through the cd with the music playin loud and all.

end of ramble.

Last edited by Haoleb; 08/27/03 11:25 PM.
#18504 08/27/03 11:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I love to sit in the dark and just listen. I'll quite often close my eyes. Basically just to relax though.

#18505 08/27/03 11:57 PM
The BEST album to listen to with the lights off AND eyes closed is the SACD remaster of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" -- no contest.

#18506 08/28/03 12:19 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I don't have a SACD player.

-yet

#18507 08/28/03 12:49 AM
old hand
old hand
For serious enjoyment, I prefer to close my eyes. It is basically to shut off all impressions on the mind and just enjoy the music / vocals. When you have such great clarity in the mid-range from the Axiom speakers, it can be very immersing.

Overall after a session of serious listening, I feel extremely relaxed and refreshed.

Going off-topic a bit...
There is a study that has shown that 87% of all impressions that form in one's mind are through the eyes. The remaining 13% are formed through the remaining four senses - Hearing, Feeling, Tasting and Smelling.

Consciously shutting off the 'Seeing' portion (even for a short period of time) rejuvenates the mind more than several hours of sleep. The experience of 'trance' and 'weightless' are a direct result of a concentrated & focused mind. I think I know what Haoleb is talking about.

Enough of this. Just the thought of that experience makes me want to log off this board and turn on the music !!!

Cheers.

#18508 08/28/03 02:20 AM
sushi Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Just to brag a little bit about my Hales System Two's, they are REALLY good at disappearing sonically. Even with my eyes open, looking at the speakers or wherever, it never sounds like they are generating the sound -- either in 2.1 or 5.1 mode. The Hales seems just sitting there, doing nothing. While I am seriously listening, I tend to stare at different points on the front wall, where one of the instruments or orchestral parts is imaged -- where I can start to "see" the instrument(s) playing.

If I were ever to replace these speakers, this level of transparency is the minimum requirement. I am considering the Maggie 3.6s, though...

#18509 08/28/03 02:40 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
yep. so true. its almost like the m80s are just a peice of art standing there in space doing nothing. its kina funny..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters