Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18
Re: Denon 3808CI – one week later
terzaghi #190251 01/01/08 10:35 PM
buff
buff
Thanks to all three of you for the help. I will try these things and appreciate your taking the time. And, yes the M80s are beyond my greatest expectations. I had been making tweaks to the rega (counterweight for the common (wo)man, big ole acrylic platter and new cart and nice setup of everything), but never heard how great this table could sound. I still have the klipsch la scalas and heresy's hooked in to my simultaneous quad system, but can't imagine listening to stereo through anything but M80s. Wow! In the event I ever win the lottery or in the next 5 years (whichever comes first) I plan to try the A1400 type setup suggested here and available through axiom. I've finally found the center of my system and it is AXIOM! The Denon is a wonderful complement - just been a beast to make sense of since I've had yami's for the past two decades and bought from a crappy vendor who made me wait too long and lied each step - so put a small taint on the purchase, but the longer it sits in my house, the more I'm loving it. This site has been a godsend for finding out what matches what and I'm glad I chose to stay with axioms and go from there (perilously close to starting from scratch and trying other brands!). So, thanks a bunch for the help.
Laura

chapin99 #190300 01/02/08 01:53 AM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Holy Smokes, we actually help people!!!!! I thought we just confused them even more\:D

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #190309 01/02/08 02:37 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
I am about to reveal my lack of techno-testosterone.

I am getting a 3808 and the network connection has my interest piqued. I had considered the 4308 but the price difference for wireless, 10 more WPC and another HDMI output wasn't working for me.

Anyhow, I WAS able to set up a wireless network in my house (router on 2nd floor, home theater in basement)recently with some very specialized help. (I'm sure my children won't mind that I sold their souls when they realize that it meant better connectivity for me).

In researching the 3808, I saw that it can be networked, but like terzaghi, there was no way a network cable is going to snake all the way to the basement; not that that would make me a bad person. Then I saw T's discussion about a "wireless bridge". A possible solution??

Could some kind soul please give me the 5 simple steps in non-techno babble for making my non-wireless 3808 become wireless using this bridge thing? Unfortunately, I have no children left to give you, but I DID just start a thread on some software available to use to do your 3808 settings on your PC.

Ray

Ray3 #190311 01/02/08 02:51 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I purchased a linksys WGA54g wireless gaming adapter.

I plugged the linksys WGA54G into my computer (actually I plugged it into my router directly with an ethernet cable) and ran the installation cd on my computer.

It configures the router for you. You have to insert your WEP key from your wireless network if you have one. THe WGA54G supports WEP security only (not WPA).

After running the setup to configure my router I took it into my livingroom and put it next to my denon. I ran a short etherenet cable (which was provided with the WGA54g) to my denon.

Now in theory everything should have worked at this point but for some reason I had trouble. I hooked the WGA54g up to my xbox 360 and selected my wifi network and entered the WEP key from my 360. Then I hooked it back up to my denon and it worked fine. I think I did not get it configured properly with the setup disk for some reason.

I think the linksys 'access point' WAP54g would work as well, but I found the WGA54g to do the job just fine and it was cheaper. (I paid $69 at best buy... prolly could get it cheaper online but I had a gift card)

It was a little tricky getting everything set up but I have not lost my connection once since it I got it up and running. I have access to my computer media and internet radio.

Linksys has pretty good customer support too.

-David
terzaghi #190456 01/03/08 08:06 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Thanks T,

Looks like a bit of a problem since I am using WPA.

Ray3 #190459 01/03/08 08:38 PM
S
frequent flier
frequent flier
S
First of all, Happy New Year. I would like to thank everyone in this forum. It really helped made my decision to go for the Denon. I always been ONKYO person. But, with all the read, I decided to buy my 1st Denon 3808 from JR, by taking you guys advice from here. I bought it by calling JR directly and was able to save $300 from MSRP no tax to Cali. Man it sounds so good in music and movies. It brings out the best out of my Axiom speakers (7.2 M80, QS8, VP150, and M22). 3808 drives my M80 easily with the dynamic sound that I've been missing. The base on my subs. sound so real and very tight. After all, it was the right AV for Axiom speakers. DENON is very good match with AXIOM. I returned my Onkyo 805.

Supermann #190461 01/03/08 08:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ray, the WAP54G supports both WPA and WEP security, but it was about $90 at best buy. You could likely get it cheaper form amazon or somewhere online. You should be able to configure it the same way as the gaming adapter though.

Another option would be to change your router to WEP security mode instead. That is assuming that all of your wireless devices and of course your router support WEP... I Think most do but I am no network expert.

I only looked at linksys products when deciding what to buy because I have a linksys router. I wanted to keep them the same to help with compatibility, but mainly so that I could call one customer support center if I needed to trouble shoot things during the install.

I am sure there are several other devices that will work as a wireless access point or bridge.

I think the slight hassle of getting the wireless set up through an access point far outweighs paying the $1k difference for the 4308. Unless of course you want 1 more hdmi port and 10 more lousy watts.

-David
terzaghi #190504 01/04/08 10:09 AM
J
J
I wonder if the USB port could be used for a USB wireless adapter? I think I read somewhere it won't work for this but I thought I might bring it up in case someone else knows for sure.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #190529 01/04/08 03:33 PM
S
frequent flier
frequent flier
S
Shock. If interested to upgrade to new firmware (Ver 01.57.Just found out there is a firmware upgrade for 3808. Link below to denon homepage.

http://usa.denon.com/AVR-3808CIFirmwareUpdate-Web1128.pdf

Supermann #190591 01/05/08 12:02 AM
buff
buff
Hi, all.
I'm back again with continued questions on the one issue I'm currently trying to understand (on the denon 3808). I wanted to listen to a "zone 2" on patio speakers (just 2) outside. I have the 7.1 hookup with rear backs (now my m22s). I understand now that analog is what has to be passed - meaning hooking up rca cables (which I was hoping to get rid of). Anyway, I'll do that if necessary, but here is the answer I got from Denon which makes me think it will be impossible even with rca cables. I'd like to listen outside (never at the same time as the 7.1 setup so could just use whatever source is selected for the main listening area) so I'd be glad to change the main area to 5.1 in the options in order to do two channel outside but there is not such offering as to powering the speakers. Here is his reply: Go into the menu go to manual setup than go to option setup go to poweramp assignment change it to zone 2. Rewire the speaker wires to surround back amp assign. The surround b is not like a speaker a & b they are for biamping purposes. For the zone 2 control make sure that anything going in digital you will need to run rca cables the receiver does not down convert digital signals.

Can anyone help? So the speaker surround b's are only for bi-wiring and are otherwise not useable? I have my rear backs wired into rear backs on the denon, not surround b (that is where I hooked up speakers from outside). Am I understanding right? My yamaha had the speaker b ability, so when I saw all the jacks, didn't think twice about ordering the denon assuming I could use them like I needed to.

Now, while I have you here, may I throw in one more observation? I have noticed that my directv 10-250 is for some reason now when the system is being turned on, deciding to set itself to 480 when my current channel is clearly hd and in 1080. I've literally watched the light move to that reading on the 10-250. I then have to manually move it up to 1080 (just involved hitting a button on the remote). Is this the denon doing something perhaps? I have it on auto on the scaling and resolution settings. My tv is 1080p samsung led dlp. Didn't notice this in the past, but its what you get when you change up a bunch of stuff at one time I guess. Anyway, curious if anyone has had this or is it a direct snafu just corresponding to my new purchases? Thanks in advance for helping if you can on these things.
Laura (quadgirl)

Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020