Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Dialogue is just too quiet
#18812 08/31/03 01:08 PM
T
local
OP Offline
local
T
Let me start out by saying: God I love home theater!

Actually getting an SPL meter and calibrating to 75dB made a HUGE different in the overall sound. I was VERY impressed....except the dialogue. It just seemed like it was lacking in the quiet scenes. I found myself turning the volume up and down during the movie. During a quiet, dialog only scene, I would have to turn it up a notch or two. But if an action scene followed, I would have to turn it down or get blown out of the water.

#18813 08/31/03 04:50 PM
buff
buff
Hey twopecker, why don't you try playing these movies with the center channel a couple decibles "hot" and see if you prefer things that way.

#18814 08/31/03 08:57 PM
C
Cam Offline
C
Or, you could try using the "normal" setting instead of "max" for the dynamic range...

#18815 08/31/03 09:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
twopecker,

At what volume level do you watch? I mean, once you calibrate the channels exactly as instructed by the receiver's manual, the "dB" numbers on the main volume knob (if the numbers are in dB scale) should correspond to +/- dB from the Dolby/THX "reference" level. Do you watch at -20dB, -10dB, or what?

Also, just in case, put your ears to each of the drivers on your VP150 to make sure all drivers are working. One disconnected tweeter would fully explain your symptom.

#18816 08/31/03 10:32 PM
T
local
OP Offline
local
T
Cam: Huh? care to elaborate anymore?

Sushi: I believe you are very familiar with the Pioneer Elite line (I see you pushing them all the time =)), but just in case you're not, or mine is different, here is a little info so maybe you can help me out a bit.

The volume goes from I believe 0 at maximum volume (never turned it all the way up that loud) to in the 90's as the quietest (I am at work right now, so I cant just go turn the knob and see)

When watching movies, the level is somewhere between 45-55 (depending on the movie and what kind of mood im in), but usualy right at 50. I dont see anywhere it listed as -20dB -10dB, etc.

hopefully tomorrow morning I can play around with the setup a little, switch the center channel over to the left channel amp output, see what I get for sound and also do some up close listening to the center.

Thanks for you help, any other ideas or suggestions will definitely be appreciated!

#18817 08/31/03 11:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
twopecker,

LOL Somehow did my brain manage to completely forget that you are using the Elite 43TX receiver!!!

Yes, the volume knob on the Elite receivers is in fact based on the dB scale. When you get the receiver into the NORMAL calibration mode, the volume knob automatically resets itself to 0dB, and the receiver sequentially sends a reference pink noise to each channel. You set the channel levels (as you said you did) so that the reference tone reads at 75dB (C-curve) at the listening position. The test tone should feel fairly loud but well tolerable, did it?

Once you do this, the numbers on the volume display represent a literal dB deviation from the Dolby reference level. If the 43TX is just like my 45TX, it should go from -90dB all the way up to +12dB.

Now, did you say you usually watch movies with volume knob set at around -50dB??? My friend, that's an awfully low listening volume indeed! Movie dialogs are usually recorded at around 74dBA when you watch at the reference level (0dB). So, the volume knob set at -50dB, you are listening to dialogs at a flee loudness of 24dBA -- much softer than the most intimate whispers! No wonder you cannot hear it very clearly.

For your reference (pun intended), when we seriously watch a movie, we set the volume between -10dB and -5dB depending on the program. Now, this is VERY loud, but we like it loud anyway. Even when we watch in the middle of night, we set it at -20 to -25 dB or so, -30dB minimum.

#18818 08/31/03 11:58 PM
T
local
OP Offline
local
T
Sushi: NOW i am officially confused =)

I am not sure at what dB it is set at while watching movies. The volume knob...however that translates to dB...is set at 50 on a scale of 90 being loudest, 0 being softest.

Now this MORE than loud enough for action scenes. Scarily loud at times. On dialog only scenes, it just seems suppressed. Now of course I know it is something I am doing....just havent narrowed down what.

I tuned via the Video Essentials DVD. The pink noise did seem adequately loud going through the 5.1 setup, but as you said, was very tolerable.

I went home, put the pink noise on, both tweeters definitely were working, so I would say that rules out that. Of course I forgot to check the volume levels on the receiver (d'oh!), but I am assuming it is on a scale of +12 to -90 like yours.

Now I know if I have my receiver turned up to -25dB, it will be ungodly loud during most of the movie. I guess I am just stuck straining to listen during those "quiet scenes". I am in an apt, so I can not turn it up to I guess what you say is adequate levels.

So is life I guess =/

#18819 09/01/03 01:18 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Now, *I* am the one who is officially confused!

Whenever you have a chance, could you confirm that your receiver display looks exactly like the diagram on page 27 of the user manual (yes, I downloaded the 43TX manual to solve this mystery!), and that the volume-level display actually go from -80 (not -90 sorry) to +12? -- you can check this with the source turned off.

Also, with the volume set at your "usual" comfortable level, could you tell me the actual average SPL levels of tyical movie dialogs (use C curve)? Select a scene where nothing much else is going on except for the dialogs. Just measure it uning your RS meter at the listening position. Incidentally, you should always use the RS meter with its mic pointing straight up toward the ceiling.

#18820 09/01/03 01:41 AM
T
local
OP Offline
local
T
I will check the volume range tonight when I get home, just forgot over lunch.

Wont be able to check the dB reading during a movie until Tuesday now. After hearing how much better my setup sound, a coworker had to borrow it to try to adjust his a little.

As for the positioning of the SPL meter, the instructions in the video I had said to point the mic end slighly forward towards the viewing area. I will try with the meter pointed straight up hopefully on Wed.

Thanks again!

#18821 09/01/03 01:45 AM
T
local
OP Offline
local
T
...and now I feel bad Sushi. I just looked at page 27 of the tsx43 manual...didnt have to though, right when I saw it I knew that wasnt the receiver I have.

I have a tsx-41 (yes, I looked up the manual for that as not to lead you on another goose chase). I was at work when I typed the original message (I think I work too much), and got my numbers mixed up. Sorry for leading you down the wrong path, and thanks for all your help.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters