Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Axiom owner-pls help w/receiver decision
#19110 09/05/03 01:35 PM
F
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
F
I am at about the level with intrepid4's post requesting help, but am not going to be using a sound card etc. Oddly enough, we have almost come to the same conclusion with receivers..I am considering the H/K AVR 225 OR Denon 1803 or Yamaha RX-V1300 in my price range. I am starting with the M3's(on order), the reviews I read lead me to the conclusion that the M22's are nice, but the M3's are fine for my type of listening, and am going to build from there..I want to purchase a receiver, CD/MP3 and DVD player initially and then add more speakers as time and money permits...Admittedly, my hearing is not that great to appreciate all the nuances of the various musical formats, I just want to listen to the FM receiver some(easy listening, jazz and some country and western...hey, I'm from Texas!!!)...will appreciate any help/comments on the receiver decision and thanks to all in advance.

FishIsland

Re: New Axiom owner-pls help w/receiver decision
#19111 09/05/03 02:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Consider the brand new Yamaha RX-V1400. Its YPAO automatic calibrator is a strong attraction.

#19112 09/05/03 02:21 PM
F
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
F
Thanks for the reply Sushi and please let me add I've enjoyed your insight into many topics on this forum, i.e. classical music, have learned a great deal...I appreciate the undo credit you give me by assuming I know what YPAO automatic calibrator is...can I draw an assumption that the Yamaha you recommended is one you would recommend over the referenced Denon and HK receivers...the other aspect I thought of after the post was that I would like to add to the base system, i.e. receiver/speakers with CD/DVD player from the same company...would Yamaha be a good choice...I understand that the owner of Axiom has a Yamaha receiver, although probably a higher end one than what I am looking at...again I just want a good, easy to use base system I can build on..I did read the Yamaha specs and like the non audiophile aspects like self learning remote, etc...thanks again...FishIsland

#19113 09/05/03 04:05 PM
veteran
veteran
Truthfully if you ask 10 people here you'll probably get 10 different recommendations on what receiver to buy. I love my HK525 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the HK225 but I'm sure the various offerings in your price range will be very similar. At that price range the wattage is probably close and the only difference being cosmetic along with a few features (like auto-calibration). I still think everyone should own a radio shack SPL meter and good test disk to setup their speakers though.

Any of your recievers will sound great paired with quality speakers like the Axioms. Pick one base on aesthetics and whether or not you like the remote. I do find the H/K remotes a bit cheap feeling but I use a Radio Shack super remote to control all my audio/video anyway. You might want to pick one with the best universal remote if everything else is equal.

Frank

#19114 09/05/03 04:10 PM
aficionado
aficionado
i have the rxv1300, and the fm reception it receives is not as strong as an older tecnics (sp) receiver it replaced. may be an issue for you, i know it is for me. i hooked a tv rabbit ear antenna to improve the signal, but still not as strong as the older stereo receiver.
dan

#19115 09/05/03 07:34 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Masa,
(gasp!)Do you recommend the Yamaha over the Pioneers.

I agree that the YPAO is a strong selling point but what about bass management and connectivity with SACD and DVD-Audio?

Do you think the extra power and fancier remote of the RX-V2400 is worth the money?

Any take on the new Sony STR-DA5000ES?

Should I wait for a receiver that does it all for a reasonable price (dreaming with a blank stare)?

I know its a lot of questions but hey, you are the man!

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#19116 09/05/03 08:13 PM
F
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
F
Thanks twodan...the FM reception is and will be important to me and all other things being relatively equal, that would certainly sway my decision..Yamaha now has the RX-V1400, but one wouldn't think the FM receiver would be much better. I enjoy the ease of use of some of the "consumer" brands i.e. Sony, Yamaha, Pioneer, but in my price range the decent reviews say stick with HK, Denon, etc.

#19117 09/05/03 10:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

(gasp!)Do you recommend the Yamaha over the Pioneers.

(gasp!) I certainly do not for the $1000-ish street price -- after all, I love my Elite. Just that FishIsland seems to be looking at $500-ish street, and there is no Elite receiver that I can strongly recommend at that price range.

If you have an eye on the i.Link, then by all means go for the 55TXi -- unless you can afford the soon-to-be-announced 59TXi.

#19118 09/05/03 10:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

I appreciate the undo credit you give me by assuming I know what YPAO automatic calibrator is...

FishIsland, the new YPAO-savvy Yamaha receivers come with a little microphone, which you put at the primary listening position in your room. You then click a few buttons on the remote, and the receiver will send various test tones to each speaker, and the mic will pick up the sound that each speaker actually generates. The receiver will then analyze the sound data from the mic in a few sophisticated ways, and automatically adjust and optimize the level, delay (distance), and even frequency response of each speaker, within the acoustical environment of your own room. This seems pretty nifty, doesn't it?

#19119 09/06/03 01:20 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Fish, ditto sushi on the 1400.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics