Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
Re: Metal
cameron #190503 01/04/08 10:01 AM
J
shareholder in the making
J
 Originally Posted By: cameron

Last night for example - I'm flipping through channels and come across Heart Live in Seattle on HD Net. Wow. These girls (and guys) sound amazing.

I have seen them in concert and they are amazing.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #190607 01/05/08 02:09 AM
veteran
veteran
I also highly recommend Faith no More's Angel Dust. It's a bit weird, but at the same time very catchy. I like their album The Real Thing too, but it doesn't have the replay-ability like Angel Dust.

I think Faith no More were ahead of their time and very underrated.

cameron #190967 01/07/08 07:43 PM
devotee
devotee
For what it's worth (I know not much ;)) I like all of Metallica too Ken!

I used to listen to Slayer and Sepultura when younger but I grew out of it.

cameron #191002 01/07/08 11:06 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I also highly recommend Faith no More's Angel Dust. It's a bit weird, but at the same time very catchy. I like their album The Real Thing too, but it doesn't have the replay-ability like Angel Dust.

I think Faith no More were ahead of their time and very underrated.
I always thought Angel Dust was "too clever by half"... Introduce Yourself was a lot more raw I thought.

As for other metal, Ken - start buying up good old albums/songs you don't have... I've been thinking I have to fill in my Ozzy and Alice Cooper collections... on the arena/psychadelic rock side, I have a few more Pink Floyd albums to slot in.

I'm not so sure there is any new "good" metal (was any of it ever " good "?) anymore - it's kind of like finding a good do-wop band these days, it's kind of gone out of vogue... well, except in Europe (metal, not do-wop).

Bren R.

BrenR #191088 01/08/08 04:34 PM
veteran
veteran

"I'm not so sure there is any new "good" metal (was any of it ever " good "?) anymore - it's kind of like finding a good do-wop band these days, it's kind of gone out of vogue... well, except in Europe (metal, not do-wop)."

I couldn't disagree more. Sure, most current metal is not very good but if you dig a little there is some amazing stuff out there (check suggestions in my first post in this thread).

As far as metal never being good, if that's a person's opinion clearly metal is NOT for them and they should stick to other genres - which is fine, to each his own.

cameron #191089 01/08/08 04:35 PM
veteran
veteran
BTW Bren, I'll have to check Introduce Yourself. I only have The Real Thing, Album of the Year and Angel Dust. Does Patton sing on Introduce Yourself?

cameron #191146 01/09/08 12:40 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
As far as metal never being good, if that's a person's opinion clearly metal is NOT for them and they should stick to other genres - which is fine, to each his own.
I think you have to be able to laugh at yourself as a "metal fan"... the whole genre is pretty schlocky... I went from 60s rock and roll to metal to punk (where I've stayed most of my life)... metal's always going to have that "what were they thinking?" component to it... for proof... the the first 30 seconds of Amon Amarth's Runes To My Memory... (first link on YouTube on a search)... there is headbanger hair choreography going on there... seriously...

Quote:
BTW Bren, I'll have to check Introduce Yourself. I only have The Real Thing, Album of the Year and Angel Dust. Does Patton sing on Introduce Yourself?
No, it was Chuck Mosely - who also did a short stint in Bad Brains.

Bren R.

BrenR #191224 01/09/08 03:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I have to laugh at myself for most of my hobbies.

In no particular order and with no disdain meant for anyone with the same hobbies.....

- Offroad Jeeping (I'm billed a redneck)
- Computers (I'm a Geek)
- A inexplicable love for gadgets (Geek again)
- A love for Rock music (Immature)
- I also always liked classical and everything in between (too mature)
- Down hill Skiing (not cool anymore, I should be snowboarding)
- Cross country Skiing (never was cool, should be downhill skiing)

- The one exception is, luckily, my biggest one. It has actually become cool to Sea Kayak! However, for many years I suffered many "Eskimo..." and "tree hugging, rubber booter..." jokes before it became popular.

Last edited by Murph; 01/09/08 04:01 PM. Reason: HIt post too quickly

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #191229 01/09/08 03:55 PM
veteran
veteran
Ha Ha!! Yeah Bren, I have actually seen that video and that is pretty funny. What's even better is that all of their albums and songs are about vikings. "Viking metal" - I sh*t you not. \:\) That said though, I really like their music and they are great at writing heavy songs with tons of hooks/melody.

I have never been a "true" metal head. I never had the long hair, never bought the posters, never wore the clothes (not sure what those clothes are though...). I never understood why you have the rebellious towards society attitude to be into metal.

Nope, for me growing up it was all about the music itself and nothing more. Maybe it's because almost all of my friends and pretty much every one I knew back then liked pop 80's music if they even liked music at all.

I remember that when I was in Jr. High (around 86-88) you were labeled a complete loser and or psycho if you liked Metallica. Kansas City is very conservative, so I didn't realize that some metal bands were "big" and actually had a lot of fans. The heaviest songs played on our radio stations were by Def Leppard.

cameron #191250 01/09/08 04:51 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
The way I see it, there's metal and then there's hair bands. Not the same thing. For example, Poison is not metal, no matter how much they show up on VH1 and claim they are. Ozzy is metal, even though he's so screwed up from all the drug everything abuse.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters