Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Understanding what I want
#191933 01/13/08 03:53 PM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
It has taken a while, but I finally had time to listen to more speakers, this time Paradigms. I listened to Monitor 7s, studio 20s, 40s, and 60s.

I can hear definate differences across all speakers.

The monitor 7 just dosn't sound as clear as anything in the studio line. It was the most obvious in the percussion: it was muffled.

The studio 20s had a nice clear sound, very detailed. I was quite impressed with the midrange on a blues piece with male vocals. Aside from the missing base, what I noticed when comparing these to the 40s is that they sounded small/focused. I presume this is what people refer to as the soundstage??

The 40s were very nice. I don't know quite how to describe it, but they sounded very very good to me. No part of the music jumped out or faded away. Compared to the monitor 7, the percussion was more detailed. It also seemed like there was more sterio separation on the 40s than the 20s and the overall sound was more full.

Having listened to the monitor 7 and studio 40 next to each other, I know I want something with the sound of the studio 40.

Next I listened to the studio 60. Unfortunately it was in another room, so it was hard to compare to the 40s, but I did notice a difference in the base. Its not that there was more base, it is that it was more... textured. Its almost like I could feel the basist plucking the strings (transparent?).

All this was with music I was not familiar with, so to me, the differences moving up are clear and distinct.

My experience with the studio line is similar to what I felt with the totems I lisened to. The smallest were too small, and I could hear improvements in sound as I moved up the line.

Now, what does this mean in terms of Axiom's offerings? I spend several hours going through all the threads I could find comparing axiom and paradigm speakers. The recurring theme is that the Axiom line is more comparable to the Paradigm studio line, with the exception that the Monitor 11 being similar to the M80. Thats good news for me since I seem to like the clarity of the studios.

The question is, how do the M60s or M22/sub combo compare to the studios I lisened to? These are the two options I was looking at in the Axiom line for my space and budget, but I couldn't find any direct comparison.

Fred

Re: Understanding what I want
fredk #191935 01/13/08 04:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Fred, unfortunately I have little useful info to offer you, but I did want to give you kudos for doing all the leg work. Half the battle of finding good speakers is narrowing down what type of sound you're looking for. The only way to do that is go out and listen! Good job.

I'll let the others who've done direct comparisons between Axiom and Paradigm offer advice.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #191940 01/13/08 04:39 PM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks. I'm actually having a lot of fun with this. Having been stuck in the boombox world of music for a long time, I am looking forward to listening to music in my home the way it was meant to be heard.

Auditioning good speakers is like treating yourself to really really good chocolate every once in a while. Its a real treat!!

There should always be as much pleasure in the journey as in arriving at the destination.

Fred

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #191942 01/13/08 04:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
There should always be as much pleasure in the journey as in arriving at the destination.

Exactly! That way you'll know you've ended up with the right speaker.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #191964 01/13/08 07:26 PM
shareholder in the making
The 60's are similar to 80's in many respects. To me the 60s' are also comparible if not better than the Studio lineup from Paradigm. jmo from my auditions.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #191997 01/13/08 08:29 PM
J
J
I think you will find the Axiom line up to be clear across the board. It is all a matter of the presentation of the vocals and bass. The M22's are extremely accurate little speakers and will reveal all that is in the midrange and up. The bass is not accentuated at all leaving them sounding thin.

The M60/M80 line up has the detail the M22s have with the extra bass that is missing from them. The M60's are not as forward sounding as the M80's. The vocals/upper mid etc, sound as if they are sitting a little behind the lower mid/bass lines. The M80 have a more forward presentation like the M22's just with the better base from the larger cabinet and drivers.

The M22/M60 combo known as the M82 around here, seemed to blend the revealing nature of the M22's very well with the more laid back sound of the M60's, but placement could be an issue and some others that have tried this combo didn't like the sound at all.

All of the above is just according to my ears, in my room, your mileage maybe different.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
fredk #192014 01/13/08 10:41 PM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
To me the 60s' are also comparible if not better than the Studio lineup from Paradigm. jmo from my auditions.

Indeed, but which studios? I found quite a bit of difference between the studio 20 and 40.

I understand that the M60 and 80 are similar but that the 80 gives a little more midrange/upper detail and more base. Of the two, which would you say is closer to the studio 60?

Originally Posted By: jakewash
I think you will find the Axiom line up to be clear across the board

And thats the impression I got from reading the paradigm vs axiom threads here. Good news for me.

Originally Posted By: jakewash
It is all a matter of the presentation of the vocals and bass.

Thinking on it, I wouldn't want the vocals any more up front than delivered by the studio 40/60. From what I have heard in the way of base, I do not think I would be satisfied with the M22 by itself, or from any other smaller bookshelf. I suspect that the only way to tell if I would be happy with the m22 + base is to audition that combo (in the plan, but will have to wait for spring).

I want to go back to the dealer with some material I am familiar with and listen again to the studio 40 and 60 to get a better sense of the differences.

Fred

Fred

-------
fredk #192017 01/13/08 11:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have never heard M60 or Studio 60, but I have heard quite a bit of M80 and Studio 100 and they are pretty close to each other. My friend who has the 100 thinks they are better. I am far from convinced. Another friend, who has the Signature S8 (quite a nice beast), felt that the M80 sounded better... Those two friends are no longer on speaking terms! \:\)

All those hearings were done in isolated environments so it is never trivial to be certain of the differences.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #192021 01/13/08 11:41 PM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
... but I have heard quite a bit of M80 and Studio 100 and they are pretty close to each other.

Excellent news indeed! The thought that I can get a similar sound to the Studio 60 at half the price makes me happy.

Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
... it is never trivial to be certain of the differences.

Indeed. It seems that what sounds good/better is a very personal thing. I just finished reading a thread over on audioholics where the poster found both the M80 and the Paradigm Studio line to be harsh and not very detailed.

That friends would part company over a difference of opinion on something as trivial as the sound or speakers is a sad thing.

I need to start saving those pennies...

Fred

Fred

-------
fredk #192025 01/14/08 12:01 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: fredk
That friends would part company over a difference of opinion on something as trivial as the sound or speakers is a sad thing.

Sorry, I should have made it clearer that it is not that bad (the parting). But it is true that the Studio 100 owner feels that the Signature S8 owner is a bit of a "Paradigm traitor" to have dared prefered the M80!

See Mojo's signature
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020