Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Lost Odyssey on xbox 360
CV #196748 02/17/08 07:13 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I was going to dig up this thread soon. I got it for valentines day and just started playing it. I never pay too much attention to reviewers. If everyone gives something a 1/10 or a 10/10 you can be pretty sure that the game sucks or is great. anything in between is kind of just their personal preference.

I am about 2 hours in and was going to wait a little longer to post my initial impressions. I will give it a quick rundown though.

So far the game seems really cool. Bottom line if you like turn based RPGS you will like this game. If you don't, you won't.

I wasn't sure if I still liked turn based games anymore or not. Back in the day I loved games like Final fantasy I, dungeon magic, dragon warrior ect. (all of these were on the NES.)

I am finding that I still do enjoy a nice turn based game. So far the game has been a little slow. (I read some stuff from other people that are 10+ hours into the game and said the first couple of hours are slow.)

There are a lot of cut scenes and a lot of reading. Things happen along the way that jog Kaim's memory and he has a 'dream' of his memory. These are basically cool little stories that you have the option to read or not. Even without reading these stories you do a lot of reading in the game though. If you elect to skip them you can always access them from the menu and read them later. The stories have some background effects that go along with the reading so It's kind of neat. For example you have a memory about something that happened in a tavern. YOu hear the door shut as you read about walking in to the tavern, and you can hear all the patrons drinking/talking in the background. Again, you can skip these if you want and I don't think you really miss out on the story because most of it is told through cut scenes.

The ring system is pretty cool so far from what I can tell. You can collect components from all over the place and build rings that have different attributes. I just learned level 2 black magic and the spells are pretty neat.

You have to use some strategy in how you set up your character for battle. The guys in the front row will shield the guys in the back row so you have to pick who will be taking the most damage.

So far there is a good selection of enemies (however,I have not had that many battles yet since I am just getting out of the main town.) I am sure the enemies will be repeated a lot as I progress through the game... but for now it seems like there is a good variety.

Some of your characters are immortals and some are mortals. The mortals can learn new skills but the immortals cannot. You have to link the skill from the mortal to the immortal... so basically you will have to balance out the number of immmortals and mortalas that you have set up for a battle. Right now I only have three people so it is not an issue (you get up to five for a battle.)

I think if you can handle a good amount of reading and cutscenes, and like turnbased games with a really well developed story you will love this game. If not, steer clear.

Anyway, I will post some more later (I am about to go play it right now, and have been dying to do so since I was playing it last night and started falling asleep on the couch because it was getting late.)

-David
terzaghi #196750 02/17/08 07:20 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
\:\) It sounds like a game I would enjoy. I also loved turn-based RPGs from the NES era, and I think it's time to play another. Thanks for the impressions!

CV #196751 02/17/08 07:26 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Some more discussion on it can be found at the xbox forums.

This thread has some more impressions of people a little further into the game:

http://forums.xbox.com/17261429/ShowPost.aspx

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the sound is really good in this game so far. Sound effects/music are top notch, and the american voice acting is really good.

-David
CV #196757 02/17/08 09:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've stayed away for now, I read the loading times were way slow.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #196759 02/17/08 09:32 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I have found the loading times to be fine so far. There is a little bit of a lag/stutter when you enter battles but it's not too bad- nothing to turn me off of the game.

The load times in oblivion are WAY longer then on this game.

I think that a more valid complaint is that loading occurs fairly frequently. However, the load times are not that long.

I think the devs wanted to put stuff on the hard drive to reduce the ammount of loading required but microsoft wanted everyone with a 360 (even the ones with a crappy memory card instead of a hard drive) to be able to play the game the same way... go figure.

anyway- I would suggest that you rent the game or something and see for yourself... because I don't think the load times are too bad at all.

-David
Xbox 360 sucks donkey feet
terzaghi #196803 02/18/08 03:19 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Xbox 360 sucks donkey feet...

replace "feet" with whatever you deem appropriate.

I just got the three rings of death for the 3rd time. This means that microshaft is going to send me my 4th xbox 360, and I will be without a console for another 4 weeks.

I am on hold with someone in india who speaks very poor english. I am waiting to speak with their supervisor who probably speaks even worse english... They could learn something rom axiom customer support!
Anyway- no more updates on lost odyssey for a while now..

-David
Re: Xbox 360 sucks donkey feet
terzaghi #196809 02/18/08 03:55 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Ouch, that's rough. Hopefully it happens faster, somehow. Bad timing.

CV #196812 02/18/08 04:14 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I did get about 5 hours in before it crapped out on me. I took a break for about 4 hours and then MY girlfriend played 2 guitar hero songs and when I tried to fire up the ol 360 it was blinking 3 red lights at me.

customer support offered me a choice of project gotham racing 3, kameo, viva pinata, or xbox live arcade collection 1 for my trouble.

I told them those games sucked and they sent me PGR3 the first time my xbox died and that they send me kameo the second. I told them I wanted a different game and he said in his kwik-E mart voice "That is all we have"

I said "ok then I will take all four." He said no... I opted for the arcade games. it comes with 6 games... 2 of which I already have (geometry wars and texas holdem.) Bejewled will be ok I guess... I figure my girlfriend will like that game better than viva pinata

Anyway... Heres to hoping he understood me when I requested expedited shipping due to the fact that they are going to be sending me my FOURTH repair console.

I guess now is a good time to go watch fear and loathing on HD DVD... THANKS CV!!!

oh yeah.. I am REALLY liking lost odyssey now.

-David
terzaghi #196814 02/18/08 04:19 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Speaking of dead 360s, mine's been boxed up in my car for the last three weeks. It's been freezing like crazy and I keep waiting for any of the Best Buys in the area to stock the Elite so I can trade it in. Waiting. . .

In the meantime, I bought a PS3.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
terzaghi #196815 02/18/08 04:22 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Bejeweled 2 Deluxe is eeeeevil. It's the only 360 game I played more than Oblivion. But I think I'm still #1 on the leaderboard for one mode, and still fairly high up on a couple other modes. I went back and forth with one guy on both Action and Hyper for a while, but I was getting too stressed out by the game and had to retire. Ha ha.

That's too bad they couldn't give you something better.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters