terzaghi #196826 02/18/08 04:39 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
It's nice to hear they're improving the hardware and making it more efficient, but is it just me, or does it seem like Sony is already outpacing them in this? Even with a year's head start, it's going to be hard for Microsoft to compete with Sony in hardware cost reduction. Not that it matters. They're both trying for second place. When they both said they were going for a different market than Nintendo, they probably didn't think it was going to be a smaller market.

Re: lost odyssey
CV #196828 02/18/08 04:41 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I think the Wii will be collecting dust at a lot of people's homes. I know several people that are bored of it already. The controller sucks for most games, and the mini games/ sports games get old after a while IMO.

well I'm outta here. off to go stare at my lost oddysey case.

-David
terzaghi #196829 02/18/08 04:44 AM
C
CV Offline
C
I'm in agreement on the Wii. I love Nintendo and their first-party franchises, but the Wii leaves a lot to be desired for most hardcore gamers, and most of the people who are buying it get it because of the buzz, then after a few times they're done with it.

Have fun with your meaningful gazing.

CV #196877 02/18/08 08:40 PM
J
J
But at least the Wii stays working for most people.

I look at the Wii as the stepping stone to the 360 or PS3 as a fair number of people buying the Wii are first time purchasers of a gaming console.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #196878 02/18/08 08:45 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Yah, microsoft currently has the most unreliable gaming console I have ever seen. If it wasn't for the great selection of games and friends I have accumulated on xbox live over the years I would jump ship and buy a PS3. Oh well.. now I wait.

back on topic: I think lost odyssey is a really good game, and not being able to play it now is driving me nuts! The game is a really good classic style RPG.

Maybe I will fire up my modded xbox 1 and play some final fantasy 3 or something on my X-NES emulator to kill some time \:\)

-David
terzaghi #196932 02/19/08 04:36 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Yeah, the Xbox 360 set records in unreliability. I thought the PS2 was bad, but Microsoft wasn't content being second-best at being the worst. Nintendo's systems have been pretty much at the top for reliability, but it seems like more people are having issues with the Wii than with the Gamecube. At least, I've seen mentions of issues a couple of times, where I don't really remember reading anything about the Gamecube in that regard. The PS3 also seems very solid, which surprises me. Here's hoping Microsoft has learned their lesson and won't try to rush the design next time.

That being said, I've found a lot more games I like playing on the 360. The two bad things are the reliability and the pricing of content on Xbox Live Marketplace. Some stuff is reasonable, but promotional items like themes and gamerpics should not be charged for. I know they're in the hole with the Xbox brand, but it's not our fault. It feels like we're paying for their bad decisions. Anyway, I still get a lot of enjoyment out of my 360, and I'm crossing my fingers for the next generation.

CV #196939 02/19/08 04:49 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I spoke with customer support today and Got an address that I can mail to and complain. I am going to send a letter to both the address provided and the repair center and explain my situation.

I feel like I should be entitled to a new xbox360- the ones with the revised motherboards that have the 65nm cpu instead of the 90nm cpu, and all the other changes that have reduced overheating and improved reliability. I am going to explain to them that they are sending me my 4th xbox, and I feel like these refurbed xenon mobo's are just ticking time bombs. I am stuck in and endless loop of console repair- and I will be as long as they keep giving me the original refurbed xenon mobo. The new motherboards that have been designed to be more reliable will not fit into my existing case, so I feel like they should provide me an entire new xbox. If this was the first RROD I have had I would not expect them to do this, but maybe they will cut me some slack since This has been a repeated issue.

I guess they have millions of v1.0 xenon cases laying around that they have to use up though right?

I guess one of the new mobo's they are making is designed to fit in a 1.0 case and has a 65nm cpu and a 65gpu that will hopefully end the endless refurb loop... but that won't be out until late 08 or early 09.

At the very least I am receiving expedited shipping(which really must mean they just walk faster to mail it off b/c it will still be the standard 3-5 days for my empty shipping box to arrive), a free game, and 2 months of xbox live.

I will prolly get a free wireless controller too, but the guy said he can't mail it out until after they receive my console.

I am 99% sure my letter won't make any difference but I still am going to write it. If I didn't like the selection of games on the 360 so much and have friends on xboxlive that I have played with for a couple of years I would buy a PS3 and tell them to shove it.

-David
terzaghi #196942 02/19/08 04:54 AM
axiomite
axiomite
The first time I had to return my Xbox to Best Buy (the loading tray wouldn't come out) I started talking to the girl at the return counter and she said she sees some of the same customers every month bringing 360s back. I'd like to know how many each store ships back to Microsoft on a monthly basis.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #197036 02/19/08 06:21 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
well for some reason the empty repair box is being sent to my old address in stillwater, OK.

I specifically told them I needed to change my address, and just to be sure I asked what address the box would be shipped to and the they repeated the CORRECT address to me. I have no idea how these morons managed to send it to the old address.

I am on hold with customer support again (Surprise) to get this issue straightened out. I told them I want 2 day or overnight shipping on the empty box to me, the x-box to the repair center, and the repaired box back to me rather than the 3-5 day shipping for all three trips. The guy said they do expedited shipping on your 4th repair. (are you F'ing kidding me?!?!?) We will see if they will be nice and expedite my order since it is merely only the 3rd time my xbox has broke.

(as you can see I HATE dealing with crappy customer support reps GRRRRRR)

[/rant]

Last edited by terzaghi; 02/19/08 06:23 PM.
terzaghi #197038 02/19/08 06:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
If I didn't have so many games for the 360, I'dve given up on the darn thing already.

Hang in there, terzaghi.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082