Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Difference between semi gloss and high gloss?
Amie #192963 01/18/08 09:41 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Semi gloss is one step above satin, which is a step above flat. Satin is a good finish when the base is less than perfect and you want to hide flaws, but do not want the characteristic of a “dull” lifeless finish of flat. Satin is less reflective than semi gloss and you won’t get that mirror/reflective effect. Semi gloss is a difficult finish to get and requires a lot of patience. It’s a great compromise though. High gloss is sometimes referred to as a Piano finish. The base must be perfect with zero flaws because as you add layers of clear finish, flaws get amplified. It’s done by incremental sanding up to 1000 grit paper (and sometimes higher). Then you start applying coats of a gloss finish of your choosing. After applying a light coat, you let it dry then polish. Repeat this over and over again till you get around a dozen coats. It’s VERY time consuming, which is why you pay a premium for it. I do not have the patience to do it, and most likely never will. I have a set of speakers in black with a piano finish. As Amie said, the depth is beautiful. When they are clean, I can see things on the other side of the room in them. The downside is, well, they’re hard to keep clean. You also need to be VERY careful and use CLEAN, lint free polishing cloths and handle them with very fine gloves. The lightest touch can create minute scratches in the finish. For that reason I’m afraid to touch mine. I would be hesitant to use them in a light controlled HT environment as they will reflect light. But if you have them in a living room or other area where they are displayed with pride, you can’t beat the finish. Folks who visit my home are instantly drawn to them, but hesitant to touch them (which is a good thing). Mine have 24 carrot gold carpet spikes which really look sharp with the piano black finish.

Re: Difference between semi gloss and high gloss?
michael_d #193106 01/19/08 07:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The rule of thumb I have always used is that high gloss lets you see a reflected image, while semi-gloss doesn't quite do it.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617