Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Data recovery services
#194064 01/28/08 02:57 AM
Ken.C Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
Anyone had to have a service recover data from a failed hard drive? My wife's has gone kaputnik, and it seems to be beyond my skills to recovery anything off of it. I'm curious how much money it costs to use one of these services and if someone has one they would recommend.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Re: Data recovery services
Ken.C #194070 01/28/08 03:44 AM
What have you tried so far? You can download a trial version of Data Rescue II that will tell you whether or not the paid version can recover files for you.

I've only ever dealt with Drive Savers, and you already know they're good, but pricy.

pmbuko #194072 01/28/08 03:49 AM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Diskwarrior. The thing is going clack clack clack, so I figure I'm completely out of luck.

Ken.C #194074 01/28/08 04:08 AM
J
J
I don't imagine you have another drive of the same make and size around? I have heard of people swapping the discs and getting the info.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #194079 01/28/08 04:42 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Did you try Spinrite? I've done it on some downed Tivo drives and I was able to get it to the point that it was usable for another 6 months.

I had an external Mac HDD that failed recently. I used Spinrite to recover it to the point that I could get at least half of the data off before it tanked again.

You'll need a PC tower because it's a PC command line program that boots off a floppy. Or you could burn to a CD. It's worth a shot.

Caveat, it can take several days depending on what level of recovery you use. I've used the lowest level on the worst drives with some level of success.

Even as a converted Mac guy, I highly recommend this to anyone. In fact, Spinrite is probably the only reason I keep a spare PC tower around.

http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

oldskoolboarder #194081 01/28/08 05:03 AM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Have not tried spinrite, although I've heard of it. I've used Data Rescue before, and that's worked ok. I just need to get her ~/Library folder; it would be nice to grab photos, too, but at least I have those elsewhere (otherwise I'd be freaking out a whole lot more.)

Does Spinrite work with disks that are making that clack clack clack noise? I couldn't even get the system to recongize there was a disk, although MacOS seems to have a higher bar for that than Linux, for example. I really only tried once, and the stuck it back in the freezer. I suspect I'll be trying a bunch of stuff tomorrow at work, with the available towers and time.

Ken.C #194106 01/28/08 12:33 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Gillware.com they are very good and fast. It's free for them to look at the drive and then they will call you with details of whats recoverable. The service for recovery is usually a flat fee of $397.00 (plus shipping and media to put data on)which is very good. If you use my affiliate code (9516 i think i will let you know when i get in the office) when filling out the form you will get free return shipping and up to 7 dvd's(thats what they put the data on unless you have other requests) for free. I'v used them probably 10-15 times over the last year since switching from the other company i dealt with and all have been good experinces.
Jake

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
snakeyes #194111 01/28/08 01:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I've had amazing results with Active Undelete in the past. I don't have their current product, but I was able to use their software to recover about 95% of what I wanted to from a disk drive with "platter splatter" (klack, klack, klack as you put it).

My wife freaked out when all of our pictures (we went fully digital in 2001) were on the drive and not backed up anywhere. I got all of the pictures back, and most of the other data on the computer.

I will say this, with Active Undelete at least, it tries over and over to get the data that in my case it took DAYS of it working before it had a record of what was on the failed drive and another day or so recovering the data. Well worth it though.

Now, after 2 failed hard drives in the past 6 years, I have a 320GB main drive and a 160GB backup drive and I do weekly full backups and nightly incremental backups (to get just the changed files). I also have things like our pictures on 2 sets of DVDs for each year. One stays at our house, and the other is at my parent's house 200 miles away. I've heard it said that in case of a disaster, like a house fire or something, the most wanted thing that is lost (assuming nobody was hurt) is memories and photos. I'm not planning for a doomsday, but I just don't want to ever deal with not having a set somewhere when it costs so little to make my own "off-site copy".

So if you haven't already, go buy a new hard drive (unless you have an extra laying around or already bought one), get the base computer up and going, run one of these tools, get your data back, and then get another drive and do backups to prevent this nightmare in the future. Drives are so inexpensive anymore that your time is worth more than the cost of a drive.

Good luck, and let us know which product you end up using and how it goes.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #194122 01/28/08 03:10 PM
local
local
After that, another last ditch try , and this sounds awful,

Pull the drive out, put it in an air tight freezer bag and put it in the fridge. Get it cold without any condisation.

Slap that sucker back in and quickly get your data.

As these things fail, it is due heat and wear. Cooling them down helps contract some of those excessive tolerances and can buy you a few more minutes.

Then when replacing the disc, go ahead and spring the extra bucks for a RAID system, or a backup system that you will use regularly.

Last edited by mapatton; 01/28/08 03:11 PM.

Mark
Pio 94,SB3,BD30,A35,Pio 48AV.Pronto 7000 controlling all. Getting ready for 22s, 150 & QS8s.
mapatton #194127 01/28/08 04:46 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Yup, tried the freezer thing, no love. Gonna do it again today, this time with various recovery tools.

Sadly, a raid array won't fit in a Macbook. ;\)

But getting a backup system of some variety up and running is now a major priority.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters