Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
Re: Vinyl hangout…..
Murph #195187 02/06/08 01:40 PM
ZG Offline
veteran
veteran
Brandon, I just drooled all over my keyboard looking at your site! Lovely stuff! You've got great woodworking talent. Ever think about doing custom pieces for other people who lack your talents? (Meaning, making some money?)

Zoë

The more you love music, the more you love music.
Murph #195267 02/06/08 10:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Murph
I'd never be that meticulous with my vinyl (if I had any left). I am however always intrigued by building gadgets. Can you elaborate on the tube used as the arm to vacuum the record and the rotating elbow?

The arm peice is one of those long skinny vaccume attachments. Here is a link to the exact one I used. The pic isint great but you can see the way it curves on the side there which mates perfectly with how it goes over the record. I cut the end off just a little bit and made it square, Then filled it in with some clear silicone on the end part. Then cut a notch down the middle the length of the grooves on a record for the air to go through and then once that was done I got some fine synthetic paint pad type thing that I cut up and glued to the bottom of the arm so it is soft where in touches the record as you vaccume. The suction holds the record to the bottom of the arm so you have to turn it by hand.

http://www.vacuflostore.com/catalog/product_detail.aspx?suom=PC&sfitm=1141-G

Now, the part that I am using to attach the arm to the base is a part of a removable handle you have on a power drill. Heres a pic of one, What I did was unscrewed the handle part of it then bolted it to the base with the same threads the handle scrwed into. I had to wrap some tape around the arm to get it to be the right diameter to cinch down on with the handle. And I just grab it and move it, It needs to be pretty firm or else you will have to hold the arm and try to spin the record at the same time. And thats about it \:\)

Last edited by Haoleb; 02/06/08 10:17 PM.
ZG #195270 02/06/08 10:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: ZG
Brandon, I just drooled all over my keyboard looking at your site! Lovely stuff! You've got great woodworking talent. Ever think about doing custom pieces for other people who lack your talents? (Meaning, making some money?)

Zoë

Thanks, I have thought about a time or two but I really am not all that great at woodworking. I just dont take pictures of the imperfections ;\) And even the times I have made something I can be truly happy with I probably couldnt replicate it again. For example the last headphone amp I made for a friend out of a solid peice of African mahogany I ruined three different chassis while drilling out the inside and making the holes for the battery drawers and such before I did one that came out decent.

Haoleb #195283 02/06/08 10:48 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
Nice, Brandon..... very creative and nice-looking solution!

Bought my first two albums in many years...

This Rick Wakeman performance with The London Symphony based on A Journey to the Center of the Earth was an album I enjoyed quite a bit many years ago.

The April Wine was just an album I had in high school. Wasn't exactly up there with my Hendrix and Aerosmith and Zeppelin albums, but I still liked it. For .88¢ it was worth bringing home. The Rick Wakeman was $4.00.

Got my cartridge in yesterday. Shure does a nice job with a custom aluminum case for it. The TT has shipped, but I don't have a tracking number yet. Hopefully, I can get it set up this weekend....that would be fun!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #195309 02/07/08 01:23 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

Got my cartridge in yesterday. Shure does a nice job with a custom aluminum case for it. The TT has shipped, but I don't have a tracking number yet. Hopefully, I can get it set up this weekend....that would be fun!

Hope you got a Tracking force gauge too! The Shure SFG-2 is a nice option for I think 25 bucks. \:\)

Haoleb #195324 02/07/08 03:27 AM
ZG Offline
veteran
veteran
Hey all, I posted my first impressions of the Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions Revisited on the other music listening thread. It's only available on CD.

I'm now listening to Van Morrison Live At The Grand Opera House Belfast on vinyl. Really excellent recording. I read about it in Stereophile, but thought it would likely sound best on vinyl. Funny how expensive it's become though. I paid more for the used lp than two copies of the used CD combined. But it's a good copy and likely sounds much better than the CD.

Zoë

ZG #195325 02/07/08 03:28 AM
ZG Offline
veteran
veteran
April Wine? Mark, are you sure you're not in Canada? I didn't even own that and I'm a Canuck who grew up in that era. Maybe it's just that your hoping Canadian music sound better on Canadian speakers. ;\)

ZG #195326 02/07/08 03:31 AM
ZG Offline
veteran
veteran
Brandon, You're woodworking skills look great on camera! I'm sure that if you started to sell stuff you wouldn't love doing it as much.

FYI
ZG #195413 02/07/08 08:47 PM
M
buff
buff
M

Hello all,
Here's a couple of places you guys might want to check out for new & used http://www.lpnow.com/ these are mostly cut-outs, but some new.
Also http://www.musicstack.com/ I got a half-speed master of The Doobies "Captain & Me" from here for 12 bucks. Near mint.

Ciao

ZG #195486 02/08/08 11:16 AM
OP Offline
 Originally Posted By: ZG
April Wine? Mark, are you sure you're not in Canada? I didn't even own that and I'm a Canuck who grew up in that era.

I seem to have some very foggy memory of the song "Just Between You and Me" getting some airplay around the time some girl and I broke up. The album had to be purchased so I could listen to the song numorous times.....and then "numorouser" times! \:\)

I remember liking some other tracks on there as well, so figured "what the hell"!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020