Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sanyo plv z2000 or Epson 1080ub?
#195143 02/06/08 02:16 AM
jhunt17 Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
I know this is an audio forum, but I am SOOOO close to finally buying a projector. I have figured out that this will primarily for movie watching and some gaming. My question are. Has anyone here own either one of these and have seen the other? Or can you just give me your impressions of the one you own. I am big on picture quality. My room is completely light controlled. I would like to be able to watch with some lights on without picture washout. It will be ceiling mounted and around 16 ft back projecting onto a 100in diagonal screen. I am concerned with color accuracy. Skin tones need to be correct and black levels need to be black or at least close that I would not notice it. Is the Sanyo able to do this or is the Epson that much better and worth the extra 1,100 dollars. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

7.1 theater room
60 fronts vp180 center 4 qs8's ep500 sub

3.0 tv room
m3's vp150 center
Re: Sanyo plv z2000 or Epson 1080ub?
jhunt17 #195310 02/07/08 01:26 AM
old hand
old hand
from the folks over at AVS my understanding is the Epson is a step up from the Sanyo. most reviews i have read reflect the same thought. its more on par with the black pearl and jvc units.

only you can say if its worth your extra cash. it is in my book. later.

aham23 #195557 02/09/08 06:14 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: aham23

only you can say if its worth your extra cash. it is in my book. later.

Ditto that from everything I've read. I'm ordering mine from AVS before the end of the month. They've got a great deal on the pro version if you call their sales department directly.

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
myrison #195592 02/09/08 05:01 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I like Panasonic Projectors. You can tweak the heck out of them without having to hack into some hidden service menu. The 2000 will most likely replace my 1000 before the end of this year.

jhunt17 #195596 02/09/08 05:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Jhunt17,

As Mdrew has noted, I also endorse Panasonic projectors as well as some of the Optoma DLP models. Rather than re-write what I've already written, here's a longish excerpt from my last Axiom newsletter (January) with my impressions of projector demos at the Consumer Electronics Show (I've not seen the Epson or Sanyo models you mention):

"Front projectors shown at CES this year continue to improve even as prices decline, an amazing development given that high-definition DLP or LCD projectors of the quality I saw this year cost $10,000 to $20,000 only a few years ago.

I’ve previously spoken of Panasonic’s PT-AX200U LCD 720p front projector, whose outstandingly bright and punchy image is totally free of any “screen-door effects”—visible pixelation that in previous years afflicted all the LCD front projectors that I viewed, including Panasonic’s earlier models. (I haven’t viewed all brands so don’t take umbrage.) Panasonic’s SmoothScreen technology clearly works outstandingly well and there is no loss of clarity or detail and nary a pixel to be seen.

The brightness of a projected image is also a product of projector distance and image size, so you should always try and locate a front projector so you can use it close to the zoom lens’ wide-angle setting, which permits the greatest transmission of light to the screen. The AX200U is unusually versatile and bright in this regard, so it’s possible to project very large images—as big as 150 inches diagonal—and still have the image appear brighter than any 1080p projector I’ve seen. Indeed, the AX200U’s processing of 1080p images from Blu-ray or HD-DVD is so good that at least one critic has called it “the poor man’s 1080 projector.” At a street price of $1,299US, it’s a terrific value and performer.

Even at last year’s Panasonic projector demo, I found the image from the previous 1080p Pansonic model, the AE-1000, while detailed, was somewhat muted, grainy and lacking “punch” by comparison to its less costly 720p sibling, the AX-200U.

This year Panasonic introduced its improved 1080p projector, the PT-AE2000, but the demo was somewhat marred by the insistence of a Panasonic rep explaining the virtues of the projector with the lights on in the room. When the lights were finally turned out, the image was impressive and wonderfully detailed but I still preferred the 720p AX200U’s overall contrast and brightness. I might change my mind if I get a better demo of the AE-2000.

For me, the 1080p projector to beat this year is Optoma’s HD80 DLP unit, which sells for the same amount as the Panasonic AE2000, $2,699US. The Optoma demo was properly conducted in a pitch-dark theater with a huge screen, and the demo sequence from one of the “Pirates. . .” movies (the one where the pirate ship has capsized and the view is from underwater) was enthralling with stunning image quality, detail, vivid color and no visible “rainbow effects.” Try as I might to spot the tell-tale streaks of color when you quickly avert your eyes from the screen then back, I couldn’t. If I had to have a 1080p front projector, the Optoma HD80 is the one I’d choose.-- A.L.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #195629 02/09/08 10:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Two things to help you compare. Make sure you read this very recent review if you have not already (January of 2008). If you haven't read Art's reviews, he's a very well-respected reviewer of HT projectors. Of course, everyone has his own opinion, so read the various reviews and see what you think.

Art's Projector Review - Epson 1080 UB

Excerpt...
 Quote:
HC1080UB vs. Sanyo PLV-Z2000

I know I didn't comment much about the Z2000 in the rest of the review, but it is a projector to be reckoned with. If anything, its image is slightly sharper than the Epson, and it does a very respectable job, overall, although the Epson has much better black level performance. I really liked the Z2000 when I reviewed it, and with it, you get an overall excellent picture, at a price well below the Epson - at this time, probably about $600 or so less, and that works out to about 25% less.

Keep in mind that the Epson is especially bright, and the Sanyo less than average in brightness. In fact in brightest mode, the Epson is almost 3 times as bright. Like the Epson, the Sanyo does not support an anamorphic lens.

If you've got the bucks, you'll get more bang from them with the Epson.

The review also includes comparison of the 1080UB against the Optoma models mentioned in Alan's response.

I've cut out some of the stuff below to keep this shorter, use the link above if you want to read it all.

Quote:
HC1080UB vs. Optoma HD80, HD8000, HD81, HD81-LV

Optoma dominates the 1080p DLP space, at least in terms of projectors widely available. And these Optomas are not all alike, but they share many of the same picture quality attributes.

All the Optoma's have very limited zoom lenses, and no lens shift. That puts you pretty much into two choices - ceiling mounting, or on a table. Since they aren't especially quiet, and we're talking 1080p projectors here, I'll assume you are ceiling mounting. The Epson of course can go just about anywhere, so, no contest, in terms of placement flexibility.

The Optoma's typically need serious tuning out of the box - but then, you've read my reservations about this Epson as well. it's just that a simple adjustment gets the Epson very good in most modes. You'll normally need a calibration disc to do the same for any of the Optomas.

OK, let's get serious here. In my opinion, the Epson equals or beats all of the Optoma projectos in terms of black levels, and shadow detail (remember - I'm not doing side-by-sides). The more expensive Optoma's at least, however, the HD81 and HD81-LV are at least as sharp.

The entry level HD80, however, like the Sanyo, is significantly less expensive. I believe the Epson is the better value, but the HD80 will definitely appeal to those who like the DLP look, and have a limited budget.

Second, if you go with the Epson, check this post on AVS for a $200 rebate that is availabl for the 1080UB. It lessens the price gap a bit further.

AVS Forum - Epson Rebate

myrison #195630 02/09/08 10:57 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
One other thing to keep in mind with these projectors, is noise. If you are stuck with the projector directly above your head, you will want one that's quiet. Some sound like a jet buzzing and it is very distracting if it's close. In my case, the projector is roughly three feet away. Even though the Pany is one of the quiet units sold, I still hear it. It's for that reason I decided against the Epsons and JVC models. They'd drive me nuts.

One thing is for sure though, you can buy one heck of a 1080P unit today for a great price. It's good to see so many under 3K that perform as well as they do.

michael_d #195639 02/10/08 02:30 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: mdrew
One other thing to keep in mind with these projectors, is noise.

Very good point, in most of the professional reviews done on the Epson, it is said to have higher than average fan noise in its non-economy modes, so the Sanyo might be better when it comes to noise.

I've been worried about that too but after asking several 1080UB owners on the AVS Forums and getting favorable responses I'm willing to roll the dice (and realize I'm taking a risk on the noise...) Time will tell.

myrison #195661 02/10/08 04:25 AM
devotee
devotee
 Originally Posted By: myrison
... it is said to have higher than average fan noise in its non-economy modes...

I've been using the Epson HomeLite 10 for over 3yrs now in a poor light controlled area (80x100 window, door window, opening to hallway, opening to kitchen) and unless I was watching an afternoon football game it has always been set at Theatre Black (lowest setting). So, if you are setting it up in even a slightly better location, or not using it for daytime TV, you will most likely be using the econo modes.

doormat #195956 02/12/08 01:53 AM
jhunt17 Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
Wow, thanks guys for all of the advice. I have been thinking about this for months. At first I was going to be totally replacing my tv that I love and I needed it to be able to everything well, but now my wife asked if I could put the screen in front of the tv and use it for movies. GAASSSPPP!!!! DID she just say what I think she said!!!! COOL!!! I getta keep it and I can concentrate on using this for just movies. THAT makes things much easier. I won't feel as bad making a decision. Now back to the question at hand. Epson ub Sanyo, or the Panny 2000. The sanyo is said to be more sharp than the ub and since it is just going to be used primarily for movies and games in a completely light controlled environment this would seem to be the way to go, BUT and there is a big but or (BUTT) Sanyo has a wacky policy of if you get a crappy unit you have to keep that one and send it in for repair. WHAT!!! So do I roll the dice and hope I get a good one??? Then there is the Panny, Brighter, not as sharp, but better blacks and about the same as the ub pricewise. Again, better projector, but seem to be issues with it from other forums and their turnaround for the projector seems to not be that great?? So that leaves the epson, which has better blacks, better return policy, but higher price? Can I afford the stretch for the price? Is the projector worth the difference between the Sanyo in a completely light controlled room? Why do projector vendors have to have such short trial times? A couple hours is NOT enough time to figure out if the picture is acceptable in my opinion. Also it seems so strange that I can look at pictures on other forums that are from lower end 720 models and they look absolutely stunning and then I can see pics from a much more expensive that looks crappy, then go back and see a lowerend model that looks crappy? Then a high end model that looks great!!! So what's up? Making these kinda decisions when your a "doubting Thomas" ( I like to SEE what I am buying) makes this so hard. So after hearing a little more of my situation. What do you all think??
Thanks alot!!!

7.1 theater room
60 fronts vp180 center 4 qs8's ep500 sub

3.0 tv room
m3's vp150 center
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943