Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Projector shortlisted but Canadian dealer issues
#196476 02/15/08 08:23 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Currently, my shortlist for an LCD projector under $3000 is the following. All are similarly priced around the $2600 to 2700 mark.

Panasonic PT-AE2000U
Sanyo PLV-Z2000
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema

The AE2000 wins on paper and also wins in any comparative review I have read. It's also the brightest which is nice as my wife likes a tiny bit of light on and did I mention my food stealing dog who thinks he is Batman when the lights go out?

My mind was pretty made up but finding a place to order it and also retain a simple Warranty for Canada is proving difficult. Many places will ship to Canada but warranty discussions get iffy.

Projector Point, which seems to be a well respected online dealer, will ship to Canada but prefer I use their Canadian affiliate. Paul @ ReelingAround. His web page seems rather Mom & Popish and he hasn't responded to my email inquiry (only 24hrs now) but I can find forum discussions where people were happy with their purchase experiences.

1st question. Anyone dealt with him?

2nd Question. Anyone know a Canadian reseller for the Panny model.

Going to the next two choices, it's a tough call. However, currently Epson.ca (Canadian YAY!)is offering a $300 mail in rebate PLUS a free lamp for their model and I will get the warranty for sure.

I find great comments and reviews on this model as well. It falls a little short number wise on paper compared to the Panny but certainly nobody is complaining about anything about the picture out there.

The $300 dollar rebate plus a free lamp almost has me abandoning the search for the AE2000.

Question 3. Anyone care to comment on the Epson deal verses the slightly better projector but major headache to buy, dilemma?

Both actual experience and just general opinions are both very welcome at this point.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: Projector shortlisted but Canadian dealer issues
Murph #196477 02/15/08 08:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Murph
I mention my food stealing dog who thinks he is Batman when the lights go out?

Are you THAT certain he is not?

On a serious note, I do not know any of these answers? \:\( But I hope to learn from the other posts!

I will go into projectors at some point.

See Mojo's signature
Re: Projector shortlisted but Canadian dealer issu
EFalardeau #196478 02/15/08 09:16 PM
devotee
devotee
Ah, the numbers game.

My 3 year old Epson HomeLite 10 max brightness is 1000 lumens and even watching football on a summer afternoon with a 100x80 normal curtained window I'd still only be on the second brightest setting (700 lumens?).

Contrast ratio is almost a meaningless stat as they simply change the testing criteria whenever they want to get a higher number. Mine is 700:1; the new 1080 is 12000:1 (50,000:1 "dynamic" for the UB) and the Panny is 16000:1. I have seen a projector at 2000:1 (not side by side) and didn't notice any added goodness for almost triple the contrast. So, when talking the more modest percentage difference at the much "higher" level are you gonna see a difference? Maybe; I haven't seen either one. I do know that I am currently quite satisfied with my projector and won't be upgrading until my second bulb goes (still on the first bulb @3400 hrs).

The free lamp also shaves $429 off the six year price of the projector.

I'm also a big fan of anything easy. A couple of clicks and you're done direct from Epson. No one else to deal with.

Speaking of fans, apparently the Epson is a bit louder in the brighter settings. If you are gonna be in a brightly lit room using max settings this could be really irritating. As mine is almost always in Theatre Black it isn't much of an issue. I didn't see a dB rating on the Epson page but my fan vol is 29dB on a shelf 4' over my head. It isn't audible when watching anything unless the scene is really quiet.

Last edited by doormat; 02/15/08 09:24 PM.

M80s/VP160/QS8s/EP350; M22s; M3s.
Re: Projector shortlisted but Canadian dealer issues
EFalardeau #196480 02/15/08 09:24 PM
N
veteran
veteran
N
I have the PT-AE1000U that I got from projectorpeople.com. I hadn't even had it installed yet when the PT-AE2000U came out. I'm currently very happy with the 1000U. The picture seems pretty darn good to me. I'm not sure what changes were made to the 2000U, but if Panasonic made improvements over the 1000U then the 2000U must be pretty good too. I have not seen the other projectors mentioned but with the experience I've had so far with the 1000U, I'd buy another Panasonic if I had to do it all over again.

Don't die with a clean shop!
NDinUSA #196485 02/15/08 10:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have extensively researched the differences between the Panny and the Epson and I think in general you'll find that both are very good and well reviewed. I've read as many reviews that rate the Epson higher than the Panny as the other way around, so for me it came down to a couple of things, from which I had to choose the lesser of two evils.

1) The Panasonic has a LOT of reports on AVS forums about people getting nasty irreversible dust blobs in their projector. This makes me nervous.

2) The Epson is reported as having higher fan noise (albeit only slightly higher). This to me is annoying, but after asking directly on a number of forums, the consensus seems to be that unless your in high altitude, the noise is there, but almost inaudible in most situations other than very quiet movie scenes (if the projector is near your viewing position).

3) This really wasn't a huge factor for me, but the Epson is a little more flexible with greater zoom range and offset capabilities for tough mount positions.

For me, I chose dealing with #2 over #1 as #1 scared me more... I didn't obsess about the picture quality reviews because they were all SO similar. I figured I'd be blown away with picture quality either way. (Mine arrives in the next week or two)

If you end up wanting to get this projector, let me know, I got a great deal from AVS Forum and would be happy to give you the info to get the same deal.

A great review, I think the best I found, is the one here:
Art's Epson 1080 UB Review

Note this is for the Home version, which is the same PJ in a different housing (black vs. white).

This section is by far the most applicable:

Quote:

HC1080UB projector vs. Panasonic PT-AE2000U

The Panasonic is a very good projector, and one that I like to describe as very film like. It also has some great controls (including their waveform generator) for those who like to play around with their hardware, almost as much (or more) as watching content. The Panasonic does produce a most enjoyable "film-like" image to watch. The Epson HC1080UB, though, in my opinion, has the advantage in almost every area. it's sharper, has better blacks, at least as good in terms of shadow details, and its zoom has a little more range. (And don't forget the better warranty.) The typical Epson HC1080UB image has richer colors in dark areas, which generally leads to descriptions such as "eye-popping color", or wow factor. By comparison, the Panasonic image might be described as natural and laid-back, and the Epson - rich and dynamic.

One particular advantage of the Panasonic, though, is its support for an anamorphic lens for those wanting a Cinemascope 2.35:1 aspect ratio. That's one thing the Epson doesn't do! The Panasonic also has a bit more vertical lens shift range, but that will only appeal to those ceiling mounting, with high ceilings.

As I said elsewhere, the Epson is rather noisy for an LCD projector. The Panasonic on the other hand, is one of the very quietest. If noise aversion is your thing, that's a big plus for the Panasonic.

From a standpoint of personal preference, my vote is definitely for the Epson Home Cinema 1080UB. I really enjoyed watching the Panasonic, but I loved the Epson.

Have fun shopping. I think you'll be very happy either way.

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
myrison #196490 02/15/08 10:50 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Spare bulb is a must! I had a PANNY 700 and the bulb lasted 200 hours! Currently have 3000 hours on new one (knock on wood)!

Im going DLP for my next projector! I was a big LCD supporter but can now always find VB on all units!

M60 M3 VP100 VP150 EP175 Q4
PanyPTAE1000U LCD HD projector 120"
Yamaha RX-V3800 PS3 20g, 360 ELITE

arcticair #196837 02/18/08 02:00 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks for the advice folks. The Epson is starting to sound like too good a deal to pass up. Also, 3 business days have passed and no response from the Canadian Affiliate for the Panny. I order lots of stuff across the border but for expensive electronics, but since he is now out, I don't want to get into any funny questions around warranty. Warranty situations can be tough enough in the best of conditions.

My room will be totally light controlled so the reviews on the lumen counts are good on all the models I looked at. I am aware contrast numbers between two different manufacturers can mean nothing, so I went looking for direct comparison reviews over the weekend and found enough that I could be happy with both.

The tiny bit of noise is a factor for me but I think calling it the lesser of two evils is appropriate.

Looks like I have been talked into a decision.

Also, I went to local retailers to see if they could bring in the Panny and a place I respect for their honesty looked it up via their supplier even though it wasn't a normal model for them. The price was outlandish. It would be unprofessional to tell you the list price since they were kind enough to show me on the screen but needless to say, it was close to double American pricing. No surprise as I had read similar comments on the forums.

The only one coming close to American pricing on this unit is the Projector Point affiliate but he is either on vacation or is as casual as his web page suggests. Perhaps he is busy cleaning dust balls.

Thanks again and let their be light!!!!

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #196840 02/18/08 02:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Good news! I just ordered mine last week and with luck it should arrive by the end of this week or early next. This + the anticipation of waiting for my new Axiom system is slowly killing me. \:\)

Let us know what you think once you get it in.

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
myrison #196869 02/18/08 07:06 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
I also am not far from purchasing a projector and was also looking at the panny but the epson also looks good so I'm in the same delema. let us know how the new PJ looks when you get it.

mastaplaya #196875 02/18/08 08:35 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Ever consider buying used?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics