Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Ever met someone who's changed your life?
CV #197846 02/25/08 01:53 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I thought her first name was "Mulva"

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #197848 02/25/08 02:06 AM
shareholder in the making
I though it was Rhee, and that's why CV does.

pmbuko #197850 02/25/08 02:21 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Hey, now.

CV #198816 03/03/08 02:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Funny stuff but I thought I'd answer his original question. it's a long post but I ask a favor of everyone that you take the time to read it.

Two years ago I got to hear Lt. General Romeo Dallairre speak at a National United Way conference. He spoke on the challenges and effects leadership can have on a person. He was available for book signings and I spoke to him briefly as was the last to arrive with a book in hand due to some other duties. Despite his long day, he was still eager to chat. I had days of questions but I tried to keep it short out of respect for his work that day.

If you don't know the name, Dallairre led the UN peace keeping mission during the genocide, that the world pretended didn't happen, in Rwanda. His refusal to abandon the people of Rwanda saved tens of thousands of lives but cost him dearly in health both emotional and physical.

His book, "Shake Hands with the Devil", is long and can be difficult to read. Difficult not only in length and understanding due to all the different political 'factions with in factions' that existed, but also very difficult emotionally as he pulls no punches in displaying the reality of the genocide.

I believe his book should be required reading in high school classrooms and for anyone who wants an insight how the occupation by 1st world countries can turn an other wise united nation against itself. Also, it is a real eye opener as to why so many United Nations missions fail, despite what you might see on the news. The international politics and refusals to act from his point of view almost brings you to tears.

The movie of the same title I don't recommend so much. There is just to much to explain for a feature length film. The movie is scattered, hard to follow and you don't get an understanding of why the events you do see are happening. If you don't read the book, you will be very confused trying to understand the different factions and regimes and you won't realize how much totally frustrating time he spent trying to negotiate with them all and maintain neutrality. It also only hints as to the full nature of some of the things he saw and experienced.

Dallairre has triumphed, for the most part, over his resulting mental illnesses that began in the mission and haunted his years afterwards. Make no mistake, no one on earth could go through what he did unscathed. However, he now continues to lead and inspire the Canadian Military and is a world spokesman for peace and against such things as the use of children as soldiers.

I can personally attest that he still is an inspiration to our troops. In a recent return trip from Ottawa, I shared the plane with a small troop of soldiers on their way to South Africa. They were traveling there to help coach the local authorities how to better police while respecting human rights and such. Due to a faulty seat belt, I ended up sitting beside the mission commander. As we discussed their mission, he VERY proudly told me that they were just visited by Romeo Dallaire in the airport, who gave them a very inspiring send off speech. It was extremely obvious from this and other chat I heard that it had had a very positive effect on the group. He also pointed out a young man a few rows up who was Mr. Dallairre's son. For him to be serving our country overseas after seeing the trauma and effect of the Rwandan mission on his father, also deserves that some praise be passed his way.

To me, Lt. General Dallaire is not only one of our countries most inspiring leaders but he is also a hero. Plain and Simple.

An inspiration for me when faced with my own little problems, to be sure.

LGen Romeo Dallaire's web sight

Last edited by Murph; 03/03/08 03:18 PM. Reason: Added link

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters