Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: mx500 remote vs harmony remotes
#19824 09/17/03 03:58 PM
aficionado
aficionado
It's significantly less than I spent for my DVD player.

#19825 09/17/03 04:00 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

While I've got a JP1 Radio shack remote that I can program from my PC, it's not intuitive for non advanced PC users.

Which is why I like the Pronto. I've defined every inch of the interface to be perfectly usable by all the morons that come into my home.

In reply to:

I much prefer real buttons to touch screens like the pronto. I watch my TV in the dark and don't want to be looking at a remote to do stuff.

Which is why I went with the TSU-3000 over the 2000 or the 6000. It has 20 hard buttons.

#19826 09/26/03 10:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
OK, so I've had the Harmony 768 remote since last Sat. The components I control are:

old 27" Zenith as a monitor only
Pioneer 45TX A/V
Apex AD-600A DVD player
Proscan VCR
Sony SAT-T60 DirecTV

Initial Setup
I've played w/ the online tutorial and it seemed pretty easy to set up. You go to their website to configure your remote according to your components and then your remote is updated w/ the configration. I installed the software from the CD and tried to download to the remote but the firmware and s/w needed to be updated, which I did relatively easily. Now I can go to my online account and add/remove activities and devices and just connect the remote to my PC to update.

Impressions
Different. Not bad, not IMPRESSIVE, different. I'm used to hard buttons, I also use the URC6131 that is GREAT w/ Tivo. 2nd only to the Tivo remote which I think is one of the best ergonomic remotes. The Harmony is different because it's activity based, not button based, so for me it's a "culture change". You don't press buttons/macros, you choose an activity and it runs. To watch Tivo, I select the "Watch Tivo" activity and the system (1) turns on the TV, (2) turns on the A/V, (3) sets up the surround mode on the Pioneer, (4) turns on the Tivo, and (5) set the channel to my favorite channel. I have activities to watch the VCR, listen to the radio, watch DVDs, etc and all the macros are set up to control any required component.

The setup is "relatively" flexible because you and add menus, activites, reassign buttons, create macros, etc. You can also edit existing activities to add more "button presses" to it, which is what I did to set up different surround modes for each activity. For example, when listening to the radio, I set it to 5 channel stereo. I say relatively because it also allows you the ability to use XML to add/modify the actions of the remote. Almost too flexible, because most users may not want to deal w/ the hassle. But when playing w/ the remote, it may be worth the hassle because you can create your own complicated macro once you learn the method.

I haven't let my wife play w/ it yet, I want to get it close to perfect so I can get the best acceptance. But my initial impression is that this is a VERY powerful remote, provided you are willing to do some tweaking. I get the impression that would also be the case w/ the MX500 & MX700 too. The activity based concept may work better, though, w/ the others in your family who don't want to press all the buttons on various remotes.

Regarding Tivo, that's been the toughest to set up. For existing PVR owners, you realize the importance of all the hard buttons. The 768 doesn't have quite enough, but it's possible to configure it to access just the right amount and then also create single button macros to assist w/ the menu searching. The newer 659 may work better for those who really like the hard buttons. One nice thing on the 768 (and not on the 659) is the ability to have the TV Guide on the remote, just like the directv guide. Longer downloads, but pretty slick. You select the show according to the current time and the remote selects the correct channel.

Hope this is helpful and perhaps I'll add more as I play w/ it.

#19827 09/27/03 09:32 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
As the MX-500 is exactly the same as the MX-700 minus the computer software interface, I could say it's the best remote I've ever used. I have the MX-700 and I am absolutely blown away by its ergonomics and configurability. I didn't even have to give my wife a primer on it once it was programmed, she just picked it up and started using it (though my wife is pretty techy and actually likes my M80ti tower speakers - which makes her uniquely COOL)

The review is here if you are interested:

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/htm_mx-700_1.html

Take away everything having to do with the programming and you still have basically the same remote. I can't speak for the other remote, but I give the MX-500 the 2 thumbs up.

----- Clint DeBoer http://www.audioholics.com
#19828 09/27/03 10:27 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Clint,

I know this is off the subject for this thread, but will there be an upcoming review of the new Yamaha (1400/2400) and/or Pioneer Elite receivers?

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#19829 09/30/03 01:18 AM
cup Offline
I agree with Hawke and can recommend the MX-500,it is a very flexible and powerful (powerful ir) remote.

Not to nitpick Hawke thought, the MX-500 and MX-700 are very similiar but do have differences other than computer software interface. The Mx 700 can control up to 20 devices with 4 pages of LCD screens per device (the 500 has 10 with 2 pages per). Virtually all buttons on the MX700 can be programmed with a macro (with 40 steps). The MX500 has 15 buttons, (power, power off, m1, m2, m3 and the ten lcd buttons) with 20 steps. Having said this, the MX500 is powerful enough to control all but the most elaborate HT setups.

For more remote info try www.remotecentral.com

For a computer interface and hardware for MX-500 try www.irclone.com

My setup: VP150 M3's QS4's HK 525 Pany RP56 DIY Sub (Adire Shiva) MX-500 remote
#19830 09/30/03 05:38 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Yes. Soon. :-)

----- Clint DeBoer http://www.audioholics.com
#19831 10/03/03 02:18 AM
old hand
old hand
Clint, do you own the MX-500? I've looked at this and it seems very capabable and the ergonomics are great. The local store wanted $180 but I saw another thread here that said Costco had it for $99. I need some additonal info before my purchase and would like to hear more about your experience with this remote.

Thanks,

Bob

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082