M22 stand mount ??
#198959 03/04/08 05:07 AM
B
regular
OP Offline
regular
B
Hi Everyone,

I just received my Sanus steel foundation stands today and tried to put my newly M22 on it, but was frustrated to find out that there is no pre-drill hole to screw into. Is there any M22 owner currently using stands that are different from Axiom FMS stands? If so, how are you doing it without having to drill or puncture it with your screws from the bottom?

I can't understand why Axiom do not pre-drill the M22 at the bottom to accomodate different stands in the market. They obviously can drill the back of the M22 for wall mount, which I have no use for at the moment. It seems to me that the M22 design is restricted to Axiom accessories only!! Man if I have to puncture my speakers on the bottom; I'm just gonna return it.

Re: M22 stand mount ??
BongChoka #198962 03/04/08 05:14 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
My Polk bookshelves didn't have a mounting hole on the bottom, either. The stands I had just let the speakers rest on them. Sorry to hear of your frustration.

CV #198964 03/04/08 05:24 AM
axiomite
axiomite
BongChoka, I haven't run across any speakers that have pre-drilled holes in the bottom. I think that there are so many different types and sizes of stands that keep manufacturers from doing so.

Many here use Blu Tak to couple speakers to stands. It seems to be a good solution to offer some solidity without damaging the speaker.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #198968 03/04/08 07:19 AM
devotee
devotee
I personally use velcro strips with a tape backing (or get some velcro and 2 sided tape, available at hardware or even dollar stores). Strong enough that even knocking the stands into a wobble the speakers stay put, but still able to be peeled off for whatever reason. On my stands the thin velcro is about the same height as the foam isolation pads in the corners of the platform, leaving the speakers level. I personally don't worry about the effect on the finish on the bottom of the speaker as I figure it is unlikely that I'll be wall mounting them at any point.

For what it's worth, I detected no sonic difference with and without the tape, if you're worried about isolation or whatever.

I also have not seen any speakers with bottom holes, only back mount points (Paradigm, Polk, Energy).

Last edited by doormat; 03/04/08 07:23 AM.

M80s/VP160/QS8s/EP350; M22s; M3s.
BongChoka #198969 03/04/08 07:31 AM
BC, I've also not seen any stand mount speakers with holes drilled in the bottom. It may be that some manufacturer which sells a specific stand to go along with its speaker has done this, but it wouldn't be a generally acceptable practice, since stands vary. Relax and enjoy the excellent sound from your M22s.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #198970 03/04/08 07:55 AM
B
regular
OP Offline
regular
B
PatGuy--Thanks for the advice on Blu-Tak, but have you tried to remove your speakers from the stands and determined that there are no damages after bonding with Blu-Tak. The reason I asked is that recently I encountered someone on Audiogon who had Blu-Tak his Paradigm S2 to a stand and when it’s time to take it off the nice wood veneer chipped from the bottom of the speakers because of the Blu-Tak. His speakers had to be sold at a lesser price. I do not want to go with that route after hearing about what the Blu-Tak could do. I would rather drill the hole myself and put screw thread hole in so that I can lock it to the plate.
Normally, I would do this instead of wasting my time on a forum asking this question, but I am immobile right now because I’ve lost my toe nail due to home improvement accident. Yeah, I just got my nail done by my podiatry last Friday. Let me tell ya, the podiatry office is not a place anyone looks forward in getting their nail done. This is probably why I’m actually frustrated with the mounting ordeal.

JohnK-- I understand that there are many sizes, types, and brands of stands, but what I don’t understand is that why most of these stand mount plates have many pre-drilled holes on them to accommodate many mounting scenarios? Are these stands manufacturer delusional that they are making holes on the speaker mount plates when so many speakers’ manufacturers do not pre-drill hole(s) on the bottom of their bookshelf speakers to accommodate it?
BTW- I don’t run into many speakers, but 8 years ago I have owned a set of Sony’s satellite speakers HT in a box and those pieces of junk speakers had nice gold threaded hole on the bottom to mount into stands. Go figure!

BongChoka #198971 03/04/08 08:27 AM
C
CV Offline
C
I'm thinking satellite speakers are where you're going to run into the threaded holes on the bottom for the most part.

doormat #198972 03/04/08 08:31 AM
B
regular
OP Offline
regular
B
Doormat, thanks for the velcro suggestion, but I have to secure my M22 solidly to the stands because of my 2yr and 1yr old kids. I wish I could accomodate these speakers into the shelf, but my furniture arrangement can't have an entertainment center cabinet.

BongChoka #198973 03/04/08 08:32 AM
B
regular
OP Offline
regular
B
Ok.....
Don't any of you guys think that it is odd for bookshelf speakers to have more pre-drilled holes on the back, then the bottom? I think there are more people with bookshelf speakers who have their speakers on stands more than on wall or the bookshelves cabinet, but still speaker manufacturers are drilling more holes in the back of the speakers then the bottom. It seems like I'm the only guy complaining about this subject and everyone else is happy to do whatever they can to kludge the speakers and stands together. It's mind boggling to me that speaker manufacturer knows the size of holes to drill on the back when there are also many different sizes, types, and brands of wall mount options.

BongChoka #198974 03/04/08 08:38 AM
C
CV Offline
C
There's some really strong velcro out there, some which a lot bigger kids would have trouble separating.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters