Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
My last question and I'm set - Ceiling mount
#199044 03/04/08 08:46 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Well all my materials are on hand (except the screen), prewiring has begun, and pretty much all decisions are made. Well except room colors but lets face it, that might never be my decision except to provide advice that it be dark and flat.

My projector has even arrived. I went for the Epson Powerlite 1080 and will hopefully be putting the money saved from the sweet deal aside for an new couch. I did ask if I could send it back if I was not pleased with black levels and wanted to py the extra to upgrade to the 1080UB. They seemed pleased that I might spend more so that wont be an issue if I do it in 30 days.

Since I don't know if my room will be done in that time, I took it to a friends house and table mounted it to view on his 92" white screen in a completely light controlled room, as mine will be. Even without calibration we were very impressed with the brightness and colors. His lamp was burnt out so we couldn't compare but he believes the Epson to be a bit brighter than his Mitsubishi HC4900 and he says the colors are more full but it might even be overkill since we didn't make any stab at color correction.

Best of all, I was satisfied with the black levels. This is my first projector experience so maybe I don't know what i was missing but I didn't find myself yearning for deeper blacks, although I do wish his had been working to compare. I suppose by the time I figure out calibration enough to muddle a bit myself, he will have his bulb replaced and we can try again.

That being said, I think it's a keeper and leads into my question.

I can easily purchase a bracket style mount but I first had visions of building drop down cabinet of sorts to help shield any residual light (of which I think there will be none to little) and help with fan noise.

My question is, has anybody gone this route and does it encourage heat issues. This unit vents at an angle away from the bulb up front, so at least the vented air would not be trapped in the cabinet.

Ideas, opinions please.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: My last question and I'm set - Ceiling mount
Murph #199050 03/04/08 09:19 PM
devotee
devotee
I assume what you mean is that you'd essentially be mounting the projector on a "shelf" mounted to the ceiling? The only caveat I'd have to that would be access to buttons and the focus switch. I have the Homelite 10 on a high shelf on the back wall, and the way I had to position it made focusing a bit awkward (removing and replacing the lens cap can offset the focus) and the buttons inaccessible (yeah, I'm that cheap "you're draining the batteries!" guy). Remember, when mounted high, the projector (and image) needs to be inverted, so everything will be on the "bottom". Also the adjustable legs will no longer be of use, so make sure you are able to adjust the height of either the shelf or the front of the projector (I use a rubber floor protector disc to raise the front slightly). All this is what an adjustable mount avoids.

M80s/VP160/QS8s/EP350; M22s; M3s.
Murph #199052 03/04/08 09:25 PM
B
local
local
B
I'd go for a drop-down cabinet, but make it a little bit bigger then you currently need so when you upgrade your projector--and you will--you won't have to do any modifications. If you buy the ceiling bracket, then when you buy your next projector, you'll have to get another one.

Within the next few years we'll be seeing projectors with much better light sources such as LEDs and lasers. Who knows how these advaces will affect the size and shape of tomorrows projectors?

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen
Bayne #199059 03/04/08 10:27 PM
N
veteran
veteran
N
I have a tile ceiling so I went with a universal ceiling mount for my projector instead of trying to figure out how to hang a cabinet/shelf from the ceiling. The universal brackets fit most projectors made I assume. I wouldn't be able to get to the lens controls if the projector was in a cabinet. Plus I don't have to worry about ventilation. Fan noise is minimal.

Don't die with a clean shop!
NDinUSA #199062 03/04/08 10:47 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
monoprice has a fairly decent universal ceiling mount for a projector and a cheap price.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=projector+mount

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #199138 03/05/08 12:56 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks folks, I love the variety of advice here. It always ensures you cover all your bases.

I guess I referred to this as a "cabinet" as I envisioned it as having 3 sides around the drop down shelf, as opposed to an open sided shelf. I should have found a better word.

I am wondering how often you all finding yourselves having to re-aim or re-focus your projector once you get it where you want it. I would think that would be a very rare inconvenience but I certainly am only guessing.

Doormat, might I suggest the
Rayocak - 15 Minute rechargable batteries kit.
The batteries that can recharge in 15 minutes are a bit expensive but when coupled with a good universal remote to cut down on the number you need, I consider both the remote and the charger, paid off in full from all the batteries I have saved on.

Murph #199158 03/05/08 02:38 PM
B
local
local
B
My first projector, a Panasonic AE900, had manual focus and zoom similar to your Epson. I found that I'd have to tweak it at least once a week because removing and replacing the lens cap always seemed to move the lens ever so slightly. That's one reason I chose the AE2000 with it's powered zoom and focus. I hated having to fiddle with the projector that often.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen
Bayne #199163 03/05/08 03:27 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Good to know!

Murph #199232 03/05/08 11:16 PM
devotee
devotee
 Originally Posted By: Murph

I am wondering how often you all finding yourselves having to re-aim or re-focus your projector once you get it where you want it. I would think that would be a very rare inconvenience but I certainly am only guessing.

Doormat, might I suggest the
Rayocak - 15 Minute rechargable batteries kit.
The batteries that can recharge in 15 minutes are a bit expensive but when coupled with a good universal remote to cut down on the number you need, I consider both the remote and the charger, paid off in full from all the batteries I have saved on.

Yeah, you're definitely going to be adjusting the focus often, but likely not the aiming. I adjust the focus at least once a week, as Bayne said. It's not a big deal for me, but then I'm one of those guys who find it annoying that I can't un-pause a CD on my Oppo from the faceplate.

I'm actually a multiple remote guy, and I can't remember the last time I changed the batteries in any of them. I think the batteries from my original TV lasted about 7 yrs. My comments on battery draining are certainly not based on any rational thought process.

M80s/VP160/QS8s/EP350; M22s; M3s.
doormat #199242 03/05/08 11:44 PM
B
local
local
B
With my AE900 I had to re-aim it about once a month. But that projector had a weird joystick on the front for the lens-shift, it looks like your Epson has a better wheel system that should hold it's place better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters