Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Worst Concert Ever!
#199891 03/11/08 01:11 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
This began in another thread but I though it deserved it's own.
Really I think we almost need two categories. Least enjoyed for personal taste reasons or whatever and worst performance.

Least enjoyed for me was wayyy back I got talked into going to see "Hewey Lewis and the News". They played OK and the crowd didn't rebel or anything but the band didn't change a single nuance from their album versions for the live show. It was like listening to the radio for an hour and a half and since they were already overplayed on the radio, I simply didn't get the concert high feeling at all.

Worst performance.
I saw Ted Nugent open for another band in Montreal when I fulfilled a childhood dream to see the visual circus that is KISS when they perform in their full makeup. The sound was simply awful for all three of the opening bands. Worst I ever heard. Ted's voice managed to crack and go off key almost every song. He only got boos until he went on a Rant and lectured all the French Canadians in the audience to speak English when they visit the United States. Then it got nasty. He finished his set but I don't know if he made it out of the building alive.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: Worst Concert Ever!
Murph #199893 03/11/08 02:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I've been racking my brain to think of a bad concert I've seen. Either I do a good job of picking them, or my brain is so good at repressing bad memories that no obvious candidates are coming to mind.

I did see Tori Amos and Alanis Morrissette on a double bill where I was pretty indifferent to Tori, much preferring Alanis.

On a much smaller scale, there was a band I saw at the 40 Watt Club back in Athens called Hillbilly Frankenstein. They weirded me out when they rubbed pieces of fried chicken over some lingerie-clad ladies. Then they tried to play their instruments with the chicken, using drumsticks as bows and, well, drum sticks ...

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #199909 03/11/08 04:57 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I saw Hewey Lewis & the News live for the first time last year and I enjoy it a lot, actually I wasn’t expecting much but who knew, he have a great band w/ very good musicians. And I agree with Murph, they played almost everything by the book.

Now, the worst performance & least enjoyed concert I’ve been to belong to the same band: KISS, back in ‘87 or ’88, it was just awful. To be fair, I‘ve never been into glamour/hair/pop/whatelse rock.

Doc, I had Tori Amos ‘92 album, cant recalled the name. It was one of my fav albums for a while. But I would never go to a live concert of hers, it’s just not the kind of music I like to hear in a live concert... Although the venue would by filled w/ chicks...:P

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
Murph #199914 03/11/08 06:12 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I saw Rod Stewart about 8 years ago in Houston at the Cynthia Woods Pavilion (outdoors). His singing was awful and the music was so soft that you could talk in a normal tone to the person sitting next to you and hear the conversation perfectly. I guess they were REALLY worried about violating a noise ordinance.

davidsch #199916 03/11/08 06:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Wow, wimpy concert noise.

I do now recall a really annoying sound system problem at a Yes concert back around 1991. It was in an amphitheater in NC, and for those of us way back in the lawn, the sound system was not synced up properly. What I mean is that the sound would be played simultaneously through all the speakers, so that my friend and I would hear the lawn speakers first, as they were only 50 feet or so away. Then we would hear the same noise from the stage speakers a couple of hundred feet away.

They opened with "Yours Is No Disgrace", which accentuated the echo:

bompBomp, baBabaBa bompBomp
bompBomp, baBabaBa bompBomp

instead of

Bomp, BaBa Bomp
Bomp, BaBa Bomp

etc.

It took about 5-10 really annoying minutes for someone to realize this and delay the lawn speakers appropriately. After that, great sound, great musicianship, great concert.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
davidsch #199917 03/11/08 06:31 PM
shareholder in the making
I used to be a big Head East fan back in the 70's. However, after their hay day, I once saw them at a local bar here in Des Moines and was saddened by what I heard. Granted, the original band was not in tact, and they were older and out of practice.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #199923 03/11/08 07:01 PM
aficionado
aficionado
yeah, I don’t like wimpy sounding concerts...
I saw Phil Collins '97 or '98. to this day , it's the best concert sound I've ever heard. Loud but clear...i felt my brain rattling inside my skull...

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
JaimeG #200029 03/12/08 02:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I can’t think of a bad performance but the worst concert experience was seeing Peter Paul and Mary at the Greek Theater in Hollywood. PPM were great but this jerk sitting just in front of my friend and I took offence that a couple of Marines would come see them. Ran his mouth for a while before his girlfriend got him to shut up. On the way out he made a point to catch up to us and start mouthing off again. We ignored him until he grabbed my shoulder to spin me around. Somehow he broke his arm and probably some ribs.

Hell of a downer after such nice peaceful music.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
Murph #200039 03/12/08 03:18 AM
I saw about 15 minutes of the Frisky Frolics in a small bar in San Francisco about 5 years ago. I guess it doesn't really count as a concert since there were perhaps 20 people in attendance.

Think Tin Pan Alley done by a bunch of hipsters in period clothing. Only worse than that.

pmbuko #200045 03/12/08 04:20 AM
devotee
devotee
I saw Joan Jett and the blackhearts in topeka back in the late 80s (when the mtv video was a concert clip). The sound system was obscenely loud and clipped almost continuously. The opening act cursed more than they sang and JJ's performance just kind of laid there. It was another instance of being just like the album. There's a point in the video where she takes off her jacket and heaves it into the audience- so I was watching and waiting, and was neither surprised nor dissapointed when she heaved her jacked up in the air and directly...behind her. What a bunch of cheap bastards, I thought.

A couple years ago I saw Rebecca st. James in Wichita and was all excited as I'd seen her in the 90's when she was coming up and she killed. Not this time- again with the clipping of house sound. It was so bad I couldn't tell what song she was doing- and I know all her songs. There were a LOT of pre teen girls there and I cringed at what was being done to their hearing. Looking back I should have bitched to someone.

An now for the one that got away. Had tickets to see Rush in KC. in the early 90's, on a weeknight, in winter. You guessed it- worst ice storm in years, people died. I declined the gamble.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters