C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
So Sunday I flew down to meet a girl I've been talking to online for 3 years, in Loma Linda, and wouldn't you know it, Sean (St_PatGuy) lives not far away at all. We arranged to meet on Monday, which occurred at Outback Steakhouse (thanks for picking up the check, by the way), and afterward he allowed us to go over to his place and check out his system. It was a lot of fun. I could have spent a lot more time there, but Cari had to be somewhere (as in, I was clutching the seat and praying away the cops as she did up to 95 mph when leaving Sean's place), and we had to cut it short.

Sean, thanks for the hospitality. If I'm in the area again, I'll have to schedule more time to intrude. You're just as cool in person as you are on the board. Thanks for doing most of the talking. \:\)

Anyway, I'm finally caught up with the message board activity. I'm used to checking multiple times per day, not having to catch up on 4 days of posts at once. You guys talk a lot.

Oh, and Sean, remind me what that opera disc was. I didn't commit it to memory like I thought I would. It seemed like a fun disc to show off a system with.

Oh, yeah, and Cari wanted me to clarify on what you suspected was her boredom. She swears that she was actually very interested in the audio stuff, and in fact commented later in the visit, "I want to go listen to The Con on his system." \:\) However, she realizes she may have looked bored because a little earlier she was in pain and stopped at the gas station to pick up some pain reliever. Unfortunately, all they had was Tylenol PM, so she thinks she was tired from that. Always nice to know I was being driven around at 95 mph by someone who was inclined to zonk out. Ha ha.

Re: Rancho Cucamonga - Thanks, Sean
CV #200182 03/13/08 01:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Charles, I'm glad both of you had fun. Sorry to hear Cari wasn't feeling too good.

Ha ha, I probably talked alot because my close friends aren't into audio stuff at all and it was a nice change of pace to show my system off to someone who is.

Although we were only able to visit for a few hours it was fun. This was the first time I've met someone from the forum in person and I hope future meetings, either with Charles or other members, can be as equally pleasurable-- *cough*tuttlefest*cough* ;\)

Oh yeah, the cd was Carmina Burana by Orff (sorry, no link--I'm at work and can't get to certain sites). I'm not quite sure it is exactly opera, but maybe JohnK can clarify--he is the one who suggested the disc to me in the first place.

Charles, thank you for the kind words, and, again, I'm glad you guys had fun.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #200190 03/13/08 03:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yeah, the Tuttlefest Planning Committee had better get busy! Let me know where to show up! And get your Rx orders in earlier than last time, OK?!

Sounds like a good get-together that you guys had. I certainly count you two among the Axiomites that I am looking forward to meeting one day.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
CV #200214 03/13/08 06:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: CV
So Sunday I flew down to meet a girl I've been talking to online for 3 years, in Loma Linda, and wouldn't you know it, Sean (St_PatGuy) lives not far away at all. We arranged to meet on Monday, which occurred at Outback Steakhouse (thanks for picking up the check, by the way), and afterward he allowed us to go over to his place and check out his system. It was a lot of fun. I could have spent a lot more time there, but Cari had to be somewhere (as in, I was clutching the seat and praying away the cops as she did up to 95 mph when leaving Sean's place), and we had to cut it short.

You know Charles, Regina is really going to be P.O.'ed at you whenever she reads this.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #200215 03/13/08 06:10 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
 Originally Posted By: RickF
You know Charles, Regina is really going to be P.O.'ed at you whenever she reads this.

\:D Yeah, that's why I did it. I have to stir up the passion in her somehow.

Okay, now Cari's going to rip my head off. I just can't win.

St_PatGuy #200264 03/14/08 03:07 AM
Yeah Sean, it was good to read of the nice visit Charles had with you. Yes, Carmina Burana isn't classified as an opera, but usually is referred to as a cantata(that explains everything, right?). The usual differentiation is that an opera features individual singers to a greater extent, while a cantata features a chorus with orchestral accompaniment, although there can be some vocal solos. Carmina Burana has become very popular in the classical realm and web sites such as this one discuss it and Orff in some detail. Probably you played the Muti disc, which I've often recommended from the several that I own, because it combines fine performance and sound at a bargain price around $5-6.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #200268 03/14/08 03:12 AM
There's the opera and the cantata. Then there's the oft-overlooked cantopera, in which a chorus fails miserably to reproduce famous arias.

JohnK #200272 03/14/08 03:54 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks, John and Sean. I ordered the Carmina Burana. At $5.97, I don't think I can go wrong.

CV #200276 03/14/08 04:38 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks JohnK! And, yes, Charles, it's quite a bargain. Hope you enjoy it.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #200373 03/14/08 10:28 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Cool! Thanks for the update, gentlemen.

I'll start a thread. Or maybe I'll recruit a committee to study when and if a thread should be started.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020