Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
What would your advice be....upgrade or not?
#202173 03/27/08 06:19 PM
D
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
D
Sorry about bringing this up again...but here it goes.

First off I would like to say my wife is the best and I may be slighty crazy!! She puts up with me and these obsessive upgraditis streaks I go on sometimes. When I purchased the Epic 60.500 7.1 package I was really torn between the M60s and the M80s. Now here I am awaiting delivery of my new Axiom’s on Friday and I am already wondering if I should have gone with the 80s.

I have searched these forums and see that this very same decision has be agonized over by several other people as well. It always seems to end up with the consensus that if you can you should upgrade to the M80s. So may answer would seem to be easy…except.

It seems I have a bad receiver combination, the Onkyo 805. As I said above my wife has been more than understanding in the last month and a half. I upgraded to the Sony KDS 60A3000, the Onkyo 805 and the Epic 60.500 7.1. I can squeeze out the $300+ to upgrade to the 80s, but after that my budget is tapped out for sure. So there is really no money left to return and upgrade the Onkyo to something like the Denon. For what it is worth I have had no Lip Sync issues to date and my Onkyo is open on top and the side so my heat temps have not been bad at all.

These are going into a 2200 cubic feet room. So what would your advice be?

1 – Be happy with the great speakers I have and stay with the M60s

2 – Ship the M60s back and upgrade to the M80s even though I would be using the Onkyo 805

85" Class QN90A Samsung Neo QLED 4K
M80s-EP500-VP150-QS8s
Denon AVR-X4700H
Emotiva XPA-2
Emotiva XPA-5
Re: What would your advice be....upgrade or not?
DougTheDog #202175 03/27/08 06:41 PM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
Wait till you hear the system first and then if you feel the M60s to be lacking anything consider the upgrade.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #202176 03/27/08 07:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
What Jake Washed.
You have 30 days to try them out and see if they meet your needs. Try them for a couple of weeks and let us know what you think.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
DougTheDog #202183 03/27/08 07:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I agree with the gang, wait until you hear the M60's first as they are really great speakers. Your room is not very large and I think you will be more than satisfied with your choice.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
DougTheDog #202184 03/27/08 07:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
"To thine own self be true."

You've got to ask yourself, "Even if these M60's are fantastic, am I going to play the 'what-if' game"?

For me, the answer was yes. I knew that I just had to have the M80's because otherwise I'd always wonder what they were like. I knew that if I bought M60's, that in 6 months or a year I'd be right back on Axiom's site trying to convince myself to order M80's, and then stuck wondering what to do with a pair of M60's. A year later, when the $300 is irrelevant, I'm still absolutely thrilled with my M80's. The M60's are fantastic speakers too, but would I be as happy? Knowning myself, I would not.

That said, are you 100% sure that the Onkyo won't work with 4-ohm speakers? Onkyos usually have very robust amplification sections, and I thought that Onkyo (and Denon) were two of the most recommended brands for driving M80's. I could be wrong. Keep in mind that the M80's may set of an inflamation of upgradeitis. It did for me.

But as the other's have said, since your M60's have already shipped, you might as well set them up and listen to them. You've got 30 days to make up your mind. You may decide that they're all you'll ever want.

In my case, I gambled that my c2002 Pioneer Elite AVR would be able to drive them. It could not at 'loud' volumes. Clipping and distortion. Another $500 to Emotiva solved that problem.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #202192 03/27/08 08:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Make sure you hit up the user "playitloud." He should be getting his M80 system any day and is going to be driving it with an Onkyo (not sure which one).

He can probably help you answer the question on the receiver's capabilities once he gets it set up. In the meantime, however, I'd take the advice here, and listen to the M60's. I think you'll be quite happy, though the "what if" game can be painful indeed! No matter how much you like them, if you hear that voice in your head, I'd go ahead and do the upgrade in the first 30 days. \:\)

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
PeterChenoweth #202198 03/27/08 10:40 PM
D
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
D
 Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth
"To thine own self be true."

You've got to ask yourself, "Even if these M60's are fantastic, am I going to play the 'what-if' game"?

For me, the answer was yes. I knew that I just had to have the M80's because otherwise I'd always wonder what they were like. I knew that if I bought M60's, that in 6 months or a year I'd be right back on Axiom's site trying to convince myself to order M80's, and then stuck wondering what to do with a pair of M60's. A year later, when the $300 is irrelevant, I'm still absolutely thrilled with my M80's. The M60's are fantastic speakers too, but would I be as happy? Knowning myself, I would not.

This is pretty much where my wife is coming from. She knows me better than anyone, she just knows that when something is bugging me I have a hard time letting it go. I think she would rather me spend $300 now instead of buying new again in 4 or 5 months from now.

Quote:
That said, are you 100% sure that the Onkyo won't work with 4-ohm speakers? Onkyos usually have very robust amplification sections, and I thought that Onkyo (and Denon) were two of the most recommended brands for driving M80's. I could be wrong. Keep in mind that the M80's may set of an inflamation of upgradeitis. It did for me.

I think it is the opposite, Onkyo is a brand which Axiom does not recommend for use with the M80s. I do not know if that was testing with older models or the new models like my 805. The Onkyo manual does state:

4 ohms:
Select if the impedance of any
speaker is 4 ohms or more but
less than 6.

6 ohms:
Select if the impedances of all
speakers are between 6 and
16 ohms.

So I think it can handle them, just not sure if it would have issues or not. I am not even sure what setting I would use since I would have speakers of each (4ohm,6ohm,8ohm)

Quote:

But as the other's have said, since your M60's have already shipped, you might as well set them up and listen to them. You've got 30 days to make up your mind. You may decide that they're all you'll ever want.

In my case, I gambled that my c2002 Pioneer Elite AVR would be able to drive them. It could not at 'loud' volumes. Clipping and distortion. Another $500 to Emotiva solved that problem.

I am re-wiring and painting my room, so I will not be able to set up or test much for a few weeks. Part of me wants to hook up the M60s and test, while part of me wants to just upgrade to the M80s so I will be all ready to go once I am up and running again in about two weeks.

Now here is where you started me back on a path I was looking at before. I almost thought about getting the M80s in my original order with the plan of getting a amp later this year around Christmas time. I am pretty much a noobie when it comes to amps so this might be a stupid question so bare with me. Could I have an amp run fronts and centers maybe and let the Onkyo handler the rest. Would this get me away from the issue with the Onkyo, if I do have one. Is this even possible or something people do?

85" Class QN90A Samsung Neo QLED 4K
M80s-EP500-VP150-QS8s
Denon AVR-X4700H
Emotiva XPA-2
Emotiva XPA-5
DougTheDog #202202 03/27/08 11:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Omaha, no matter what, leave the receiver on the 8 ohm setting. Any other will limit the amount of power it can put out. Unless you have a cavernous room and consistently listen at rock concert levels, the Onkyo should be fine. I've read it does run hot, so be aware of enough venting space for it.

Also, yes, you can run a separate amp to power your front speakers and let the Onkyo handle the rest. The amp hooks up to the receiver's pre-outs.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
DougTheDog #202203 03/27/08 11:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Quote:
So I think it can handle them, just not sure if it would have issues or not. I am not even sure what setting I would use since I would have speakers of each (4ohm,6ohm,8ohm)

Leave it set at 6ohm or off if possible, that switch is not needed for reasons that someone else can probably explain better than I.
 Quote:
Could I have an amp run fronts and centers maybe and let the Onkyo handler the rest. Would this get me away from the issue with the Onkyo, if I do have one. Is this even possible or something people do?

Yes, if you are worried about the Onkyo or it does't perform how you like, you can have a 2 channel amp run the M80's and the receiver run the rest.

HomeDad #202204 03/27/08 11:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
There is always a faster typer in the group. \:\)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters