Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
How many Dish people does it take.....
#202755 04/01/08 02:29 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
to upgrade a 322 to a 722 and get me my HD programming?

Apparently a lot....

I will try to keep this to bullet points, but you all know how I like to tell a story...

Flash back to the middle of January, called Dish, said "Upgrade me!" under the special deal that they had going on.

Jump to early Feb, install date bumped UP from end of Feb to middle of Feb.

Install date comes 1 day after ice/snow storm. Installer can't even get up on roof, says that he will be back in 2 weeks to try again. (Note: I took a half day of vacation waiting for the install.)

New install date comes (another 1/2 day of vacation), and no installer. I call the installation company, and they said that the install was canceled because the installer (from 2 weeks prior) reported "No line of site." After an hour on the phone with them, they direct me to call Dish.

The next day, I call Dish, get dropped 3 times while being transfered to supervisors and people that can actually solve my problem. 2.5 hours later, I get the installation set back up, and talked them into honoring the original "deal" from January which is a manual credit on my account for 6 months...

Later that same day, I get a call from the installation company, and they canceled the order again quoting the original (wrong) notes about no line of site. I get them to wise up and they agree to send one of their "managers" to verify line of site via a "site survey".

Site survey happens 10 days ago, and the "manager" says "No problem. I can tell from here (the ground) that you are good to go." (Another 1/2 day of vacation shot for someone to tell me what I already knew.)

Today, installers (yes, 2 of them, one of which was in training, but I could smell light booze on his breath!) come at 11:30am (be there between 8 and noon they said), and they get to work. At 2:30PM they are "done" with the install, and my new 722 is installed and downloading the programming. They tested the signal strength to non-HD sat. 119 and get good signal strength, but don't test the other sats. I rush to work after using up 6 hours of vacation today.

I get home tonight, and the HD channels show up, but when I select them I get a "satellite signal lost" message. I check the signal strength to sat. 129 (HD sat) and it flickers between ZERO and NINE! Terrible signal! Another 45 minutes on the phone and they are coming back out on Friday between noon and 5!

Holy crap! I've lost 2.25 days of vacation already, plus hours and hours on the phone, plus it still isn't working yet, and I will kill another 4 hours this Friday waiting for them.

To top it off, I know darn well that I will have to call Dish each and every month for them to give me the correct credit to my account for the next 6 months (which I made sure they didn't start until AFTER I have working HD).

All because the original guy couldn't get on the roof to do the original install, and it was incorrectly documented as no line of site, and the guys today were in a hurry! Morons!

So how many did it take?
1 - First CS Rep at Dish to upgrade
2 - Dispatcher from Blue Sky Satellite
3 - Original installer from BSS
4 - Call to second dispatcher from BSS
5 - CS Rep (in India) for Dish who must have worked there for 1 day and disconnected me
6 - 2nd CS Rep (Southern gal) who I was making progress with and transferred me to someone who could override the cancellation.
7 - Person transferred to by #6, but when he was trying to get me to someone else to get me my discount, disconnected me
8 - 3rd CS Rep (India again), who must have started the same day as #5, transferred me to Dish tech support level 1. UGH - Hang up
9 - 4th CS Red (Southern guy) who passed me on to get the canceled install overridden.
10 - Gal that could override canceled install who transfered me to someone about the discount
11 - Guy that authorized my discount pricing like the deal that expired in January
12 - Dispatcher from BSS who called to let me know that they canceled my install again!
13 - 2nd Dispatcher from BSS who got me to a local manager
14 - Local manager who came out to do the site assessment
15 - Dish CS Rep who transferred me to get the cancellation overridden again.
16 - Dish person that overrode the cancellation, no need to get pricing deal as it was already documented in my account.
17 - Dispatcher at BSS that I called this morning at 7:30 AM to verify that they were coming
18 - 2nd BSS Dispatcher I called this morning at 11:25 AM asking where the installer is.
19 & 20 - The two installers that came today and hooked things up (wrong)
21 - BSS Dispatcher I talked to tonight to complain that they didn't test the HD and it isn't working
22 - Dish CS Rep that the BSS Dispatcher patched me though. I could hear him, but he couldn't hear me. Click
23 - Dish CS Rep that actually took my call and scheduled at tech support call for Friday so that they can correct the problems and get me my HD programming.

So as it stands, that is 23 people (plus who ever I talk to on Friday and the installer(s) that come), and I have the came available programming now that I did yesterday, but with DVR (which I already had elsewhere, and this DVR is more for HD recording).

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Re: How many Dish people does it take.....
nickbuol #202757 04/01/08 02:41 AM
J
shareholder in the making
J
And I bet they are the only ones avaiable for you as well, so you can't even tell them to ...well you know. I think you must be upto at least 8-9 months of free HD programming for all the hassles due to their ineptness(is that even a word, lol)

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #202766 04/01/08 03:58 AM
devotee
devotee

Originally Posted By: jakewash
... I think you must be upto at least 8-9 months of free HD programming for all the hassles due to their ineptness(is that even a word, lol)

Ineptitude.

M80s/VP160/QS8s/EP350; M22s; M3s.
doormat #202792 04/01/08 03:06 PM
aficionado
aficionado
The quality of the Dish installers is very uneven dwpending on location.

Dave
DaveG #202798 04/01/08 03:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm a Dish subscriber too, but still just with SD. My installation was pretty simple, and the installer was prompt, courteous, and did a pretty good job. Another installer that did the work on my previous home was even better. He really took a lot of time to get the dish dialed in perfectly and did a beautiful job on the cable runs. OTOH, the install job on my in-laws home looks like what a couple of guys would do on a Sunday afternoon with a 6 (or 12) pack between them. Lots of messy bundles of wires held together with twist-ties, cables draped loose over the roof, etc.

Since Dish & DirectTV contract out their install work, it entirely depends on the installers. Some are great, some are horrible.

A good friend has DirectTV HD and went through a similar process that you are going through. Just had a lot of issues getting the installers to show up when promised and to get everything working. It worked out in the end, but he went through a couple of months of missed appointments, mis-alignments, non-functioning HD channels, etc. He eventually had to talk directly with the company that did the install, instead of DirectTV.

I would threaten to cancel your service as that's about the only thing that seems to motivate service companies these days (TV, phone, etc). Not in a spiteful way, but be couteous about it. Tell them that you don't want to drop Dish, but you will be forced to switch back to Cable if they can't figure out your HD ASAP. See if that motivates them.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #202802 04/01/08 04:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I like my cable!

-David
terzaghi #202806 04/01/08 06:04 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Yeah, cable is convenient, however, to get 4 digital connections, all 4 with DVR, and one of those in HD, the cost for our local cable company is almost $100 more a month for the same package.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #202807 04/01/08 06:04 PM
MediaComm sucks. \:\)

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #202808 04/01/08 06:12 PM
veteran
veteran
I have had dish for 6 years now and have upgraded the equipment about 3 times..have the 722 running now.

I would agree on some of the issues. It all depends on the installer guy showing up. some refused to install saying the cable in the house was old. Then there is always the issue of programming and packages :). Do check your account every quarter or so, they tend to change your address and god knows what they use it for.

I still love dish, now that all my HD works and no missing NBA and CSI for wifey.

---
Samsung 65" 8500, xbox 360
Sunfire AV7702
Marantz AV7704
Sony UBP-X1000ES
M80s, VP180, QS8s, EP350
SirQuack #202824 04/01/08 07:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
MediaComm sucks. \:\)

Yeah, they're the cable company where I live too. I don't miss the snowy channels or the ever-increasing bill. Dish + Verizon DSL for me.

The only thing I really miss about cable was how well Tivo worked with it.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457