Rate Thread
Page 7 of 39 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 38 39
Re: Fitness Thread
Amie #203977 04/11/08 10:46 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Giving up cheese is completely out of the question. "cold and cruel" indeed! I wouldn't need the bread without the cheese. \:\)

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
snakeyes #203978 04/11/08 10:52 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Good advice so far. Here’s some more ideas for you that have worked for me in the past when I want to cut up….

If your primary goal is to loose fat, your workouts will be slightly different than maintenance or muscle mass increase workouts (you need to keep intensity up and do higher reps, more sets with lighter weight). If you can, I’d split your workouts to where you do cardio first thing in the morning before you eat or drink anything and do your weight training in the evenings. Shorter times in the gym are better for me as I can’t concentrate on my work outs if I’m thinking about all the other stuff I need to accomplish that day. Also, cardio or weight training in the AM after fasting will almost double the amount of fat burning than if you were to do it later in the day. I would continue in this manor for as long as it takes to get your body fat where you want it so that you have a base line. After you reach that goal, re-structure your workouts to build muscle mass. At this point, you will want to do less cardio and lift with heavier weight. If you do too much cardio, you will not be able to pack on the muscle because you will be burning too many protein calories for fuel. But for now, you need to dump fat and build muscle mass later.

Some rules of thumb for burning fat are: cardio for at least 30 minutes without pause (preferably running), four times a week and increase intensity each work out to maintain a heart rate between 140 – 160 (for your age). As you get more wind you will have to increase intensity to keep your heart rate up. Because you will be working out fairly intensely, do cardio every other day to give your legs a day to recover. I have found that for weight training, a schedule where I lift Monday and Tuesday, off Wed, and work out again on Thursday and Friday, with the weekend off works best for me. I work each body part once per week when just maintaining or putting on mass, and I keep a log when I am trying to gain mass. If I don’t keep a log, I have no goals to shoot for, so I tend to get lazy. The log keeps me motivated. I’d suggest you do the same.

When cutting up (with the goal to loose fat), it’s best to stick with basic, whole body exercises because you will burn more calories doing so. Squats and dead lifts are excellent for this. Stay away from isolation exercises like flys or dumbbell curls. Straight barbell curls, flat bench press, V-grip or barbell bent over rows, standing military press are all good exercises. I’d recommend that you do upper body on Monday and again on Thursday and lower body on Tuesday and Friday. Again, stick to the big exercises. Keep the reps between 12 and 15 and do a combination of sets to where you are doing about 20 sets per work out. Do a push / pull superset work out with little rest between sets to keep your heart rate up. You should be able to do your work outs in less than 45 minutes. Vary the exercises to keep things interesting. An example work out would be:

Monday-
AM – Jog
PM - weights
Flat Bench / V-grip pull superset – five sets of 12-15 reps.
Bar bell curl / tri push down superset – five sets of 12 -15 reps.
Tuesday-
AM - weights
Squats – five sets / 12 – 15 reps
Straight leg dead lift – five sets / 12 – 15 reps
Seated calf raises / crunches supersets – five sets 20 reps each. (calf and abs require higher reps)
Wednesday-
AM - Jog
No lifting
Thursday –
AM - weights
Incline press / Bent over rows superset - four sets of 12-15 reps.
Military press / dumbbell shrugs superset - four sets of 12-15 reps.
Easy bar curls / close grip bench press superset - four sets of 12-15 reps.
Friday-
AM – Jog
PM - Weights
Leg Press / hamstring curls superset – six sets of 15 reps.
Calf extensions (on the press) / abdominal leg raise supersets – six sets 20 reps.
Saturday
OFF
Sunday
AM – Jog
No lifting

The following week, change things a bit. Make sure to take plenty of Creatine and if your legs hurt too much to run after leg days, ride a bike or hop on the elliptical.

And always remember that the last rep you do for every set, should be at 100% maximum effort. Add / subtract weight as needed to reach the target rep.

Record your weight and measurements to track results. Avoid idle overeating when sitting in front of the boob tube……. TV is the #1 reason for obesity. Slam a non-fat protein shake (mixed with water) before you go to bed.

michael_d #203982 04/12/08 01:03 AM
J
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
J
My trick back in the day was 1cup low fat cottage cheese before bed, it takes longer to digest so you get the benefit of protein in the system for longer periods while sleeping.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #203984 04/12/08 01:19 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Soy and Casein protein shakes are good for that also.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #203987 04/12/08 01:31 AM
J
OP Offline
J
That is what cottage cheese is Casein protein, only I get to eat it and not drink it. When I am in that fit lifestyle mode, I really savor eating as many of my foods as possible and not drinking them.\:\) That is my one deadly sin, I love to eat.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #203989 04/12/08 01:38 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I love to eat also, that's the worst thing about drinking protein shakes, I still get big cravings for solid foods.

HomeDad #203990 04/12/08 01:43 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I only do shakes right after my work outs, the rest of the time I eat solid foods, well as solid as salad, fish and egg whites get. Chicken breast becomes heavenly at some point in the lifestyle change process, such nice firm texture and flavor,MMMMmmmm.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #204004 04/12/08 05:19 PM
M
M
I took Jason's advice and I've replaced bread with oatmeal for breakfast. No raisins, no milk, no brown sugar, no dates. Just oatmeal, water and cinnamon. I feel a heck of a lot better now. With the bread, I'd puff up like I just consumed a case of beer.

I also took Mike's advice this morning and worked out early before I had anything to eat or drink. I was able to increase my 5.5 mph pace to 7 mph with some headroom to spare \:\) . While this doesn't sound tremendous, I started out with a pace of 3.4 mph two-and-a-half months ago. After finishing my treadmill and step machine routine, I was able to go back to the treadmill and do an 8 minute mile (my heart rate was at my maximum though for the last 3 minutes). Nothing was sloshing around while I was working out and it felt great.

Has anyone researched shake powders? What should I be looking for keeping in mind that my interest right now is to cut down rather than bulk up?

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Mojo #204006 04/12/08 06:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Any good Whey Isolate protein with branched chain amino acids would work well, the whey protein is not just for bulking up but for fueling your muscles and aiding in recovery with amino acids during and after workouts.

Another supplement that I think is a must as Mike also mentioned is a good creatine. It provides more energy to the muscles while working out and is said to have some recovery benefits after workouts.

That's pretty impressive what you have gained on the treadmill, if you you really want to burn some additional calories, try varying the incline while running, that really will melt the calories away.

HomeDad #204012 04/12/08 06:44 PM
M
M
I went through a month-and-a-half of hell with multiple injuries. Nothing ripped but painful nonetheless. My therapy consisted of heat, cold, massage, acupuncture, TENS and special exercises. Nevertheless, I kept going every day for my cardio work-out which I'm not sure is a good thing. I've been told that muscles can recover from daily cardio but that certainly hasn't been the case for me even though I stretch before and after. Maybe the stuff you suggested above will help me out.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Page 7 of 39 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 38 39

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616