THX ULTRA 2 rear surround question!!!!!
#2043 03/15/02 01:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just wondering if when I purchase my new rear surrounds if I would be better off adding 2more QS-8's or two more m22's to match my front Land R!!
Thx's recommendation about using direct radiating speakers in the rears has me a little confused , Ian or Alan what do you recommend !!!???

Re: THX ULTRA 2 rear surround question!!!!!
#2044 03/15/02 01:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi,
My preference is to use multipole radiators in the primary surround (side) channels, as well as for rear 6.1 or 7.1 applications. These "rules" from THX and Dolby Labs are flexible, because individual rooms, furnishings, and mounting locations vary so greatly from one installation to another. So do subjective preferences.

In the latest blind A/B comparisons we conducted at Axiom, in which we switched between direct radiators and quadpolar surrounds (we used the elevator scene from "The Matrix" as test material), there were slight preferences exhibited towards one or the other by the listeners, but the results were no better than chance (flipping a coin) would produce. I was surprised how similar they sounded.

However, those tests were conducted with an ideal listening-room layout. Many living rooms are far from ideal in terms of surround speaker locations. In my experience, the quadpolar QS surrounds are much easier to place and still achieve excellent soundfield envelopment. You can locate them at different heights and distances, yet they still deliver a satisfying sense of immersion as well as specific directional cues mixed to the left or right surround--or to back channels.

If your room layout allows easy placement of surround channels to the sides and rear channel(s) back of the listening area, I'm certain that direct radiators will produce a fine sense of envelopment. But if you have to compromise on the "ideal" speaker placement, then go with the QS8s.
Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#2045 03/16/02 12:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for such a quick and detailed response Alan!!
I guess the beauty of it all is that if Im not happy with my initail setup I can return the speakers within 30 days and try the other,that makes it pretty difficult to be left with an option your not happy with when you purchase Axioms!!

Thanks!!

#2046 04/12/02 11:32 PM
old hand
old hand
Question, do you have the new Pioneer Ultra 2 receiver? If so, how do you like it and would you recommend it?

M60s, VP150, QS8 x4 ACI Titan II sub Anthem AVM20 pre/pro Anthem PVA7 amp Panasonic DVD-RP91

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044