Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Yamaha 1400 not working right; taking back
#20460 09/24/03 03:47 AM
E
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
E
About the sub pictures, I don't have a digital camera as of yet. When someone comes over that has one I'll tell 'em to bring it. And also, I have no idea how to get pitures on to these forums. I tried to put the pictures of my Uncle's old (18 years) B & W 802's that he gave me (but wound up having an unrepairable woofer) on and couldn't get it to work. Where do you find out how to do that kinda stuff anyway?

#20461 09/24/03 04:07 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

Sushi how can a 110 watt "receiver amp" at 0 put out 3db more volume than a 200 watt Adcom amp at 0?

Your suspicion is warranted If each power amp is supposed to be designed so that its rated max available power is reached at the same input voltage from the pre-amp. But in reality, this is not the case -- as John indicated, there is no "industry standard" for the voltage gain of a power amp. It is not unusual to see +/- 3dB or so of volume change when you switch the power amp.

But this (non-)issue is totally separate from the possible problem that you described earlier regarding the sub calibration. So, after running YPAO, does the sub put out approximately the same 75dB on the SPL meter when fed with a reference tone? After YPAO, how does the entire system sound with a music source, including the sub? Is the sub overtly too "cold" or too "hot"?

#20462 09/24/03 11:12 AM
E
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
E
When I run YPAO now, I only run the EQ and the level functions with the EQ running first. I set my RS SPL meter to 70, C, slow. When the tones come out of the speakers, they're in the high 60's db. When it gets to the sub, the tone does not register on the meter. Now again, this is with the EQ function part of YPAO. During the level function of YPAO I need to have the sub level, in my opionion, way to high to get the levels to match (as compared to using other receivers.) I do eventually get it to match, but the gain seems high. Really the biggest thing bugging me is the fact that I can't have different level settings for different inputs. CD bass needs to be higher than DVD's and TV bass needs to be higher than CD's. Adjusting the sub accordingly and remebering the levels is a little annoying. I was watching the Pod Scene in Star Wars last night. I shut the bass off and checked my SPL levels. I had the volume at -5db and was getting peaks in the low 90's. The meter is an average of 9' from the speakers. Does this volume setting sound high for the level of sound I'm getting? The volume does go to +18 and when you look at the volume setting bar graph on the OSD it's at only about a half at 0db. It's just that after reading what volume level people listen at, they usually state in the minus teens or twenties, but again I don't what level their volume goes up to. I really like what YPAO did to the Axioms, so I think I'll have to try exchanging it first. As far as not having different settings for different inputs, I might just have to deal.

#20463 09/24/03 12:01 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Eirk,

Sorry to hear that you are not getting along with your new receiver. I'm really lovin' my 2400. I've never heard DVDs sound so good.

Some things to try:

Make sure that you select "Max" for the "Dynamic range" control by going to Manual setup > sound menu > Dynamic range.

Have you tried both GEQ and PEQ and then switching between the two to see if there is any difference.

Make sure the LFE level is set to 0db.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#20464 09/27/03 02:45 AM
E
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
E
Well the dynamic range compresion is for the night mode only, so that really won't effect anything, but yeah it comes factory at max. The LFE is also up. And I did try an A/B between the two eq's to see the difference the YPAO made, and that really didn't make a difference in levels. But now my newest beef is the heat this thing's giving off. I've got about 5" between the top of the receiver and the shelf above and the underside of the shelf get's real hot. The receiver itself is super hot; you can almost not keep your hand there. I'm going to the store tomorrow to explore my options. I don't know what I'm gonna do. I watched "The Core" tonight and I had the volume on -5 and the s's and t's just didn't sound right out of the center (which is hooked up to the internal amp, not like the front.) I hooked the center up to the Adcom and the problem wasn't there. Sure I may be comparing apples and oranges, but if that's where my standards are going I'm gonna just have to deal (by maybe dropping another $700 -$800.) We'll see.

#20465 09/28/03 12:52 AM
E
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
E
I took it back today, but now I'm without a receiver because I couldn't make up my mind. They offered my the B & K 505 for one year no interest...very tempting but I doubt I'll have the b*lls to do it (think the woman would kill me.) I'd like to get from the same store and so my best two receiver options there are the Marantz 8300 and Elite 55TX. I'm almost definately gonna get an Elite DVD player, so having the whole i-link setup going is pretty cool. I didn't like the warmth of the Marantz, but it would probably sound better given the sharpness of the Axioms. I should have listened to it with the Def Techs. I'm going back Tuesday and I'd really like to have my mind made up by then.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters