Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M22's second report & questions for spiff &friends
#20532 09/22/03 03:45 AM
buff
OP Offline
buff
At Alan's suggestion I bought the Ramirez Misa Criolla and it is a wonderful recording to demo speakers. The piece highlights all the attributes of my 25 year old Kefs that I love along with their short comings.(Wish new Kef's were as good) It did the same for the M22's. All the same things I heard from the first session at Peter's house. I'm looking for the speaker that combines the best of both, but not sure i can find it for $800 (ie 22's+sub or 60's and add sub later). These are issues that adding a sub to the 22's does not effect from what i heard at Peter's

Here's where i need Spiff, Masa and John K's help and others who have listened to 22's and 60's a lot.

1. I've moved the speakers to all the reasonable and unreasonable locations in the room to get a good sense of room effects.

2.While the Kef's don't have stunning mid-range or overall super clean sound of the 22's, they give me a more 3-D, and larger sound stage. With the Misa Criolla, it feels like i'm in a cathedral with the Kef's and in a shallower stage lower ceilinged church with the M22's. The Kef's are also more forgiving of listener position.

3. The higher quality fidelity of the M22's beg for volume so you can hear all the nuances.

4. I will only rarely be able to listen in the 85db range due to downstairs neighbors.

5. At present my "A" location has the speakers 7' apart, me seated 9' away, although their is a "b" location that allows me sit further away with the speakers 8' apart.

6. Because Spiff has written so often about the much larger sound stage of the 60's, and because I'd like not to spend $125+ to send them back, here's what I'd like to know...
Given the info i've provided about room and sound level, do you think the 60's will give me all the great 22 qualities and add the 3D/depth and expansiveness I'm trying to describe. I know I'll have to try them for myself, i'm just trying to narrow down the unknowns, thanks

Re: M22's second report & questions for spiff &friends
#20533 09/22/03 04:05 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Dharm, I've had the M22s over a year now and have compared them favorably with some other speakers up to $2,000, but I've never heard the M60s. I've not found that a bigger speaker necessarily gives a bigger soundstage. That depends primarily on the dispersal characteristics of the drivers involved, not on the overall physical dimensions of the speaker enclosure, and if anything, smaller speakers might have an advantage in that area. I have no idea how your KEFs might compare, but I consider the M22s to have outstanding dispersion, resulting in a very large soundstage. Are you possibly reacting to a subtle difference in volume levels from the more sensitive KEFs?

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#20534 09/22/03 05:56 AM
buff
OP Offline
buff
John, I don't think it's a volume issue, because i turned the volume up on the 22's. I think the volume makes the stage bigger, but I didn't notice that it made it more 3D. It's the same thing noticed at Peter's and wasn't comparing them to any other speakers. I may even be using the wrong words for what i'm hearing. FYI the big driver on my Kef's is wider than the entire M22. Also, Alan said that speakers with more defused mid range can give a sense of greater depth. There is a draw back to this virtual community, I can't have you and sushi over to dinner so you can listen with me.

#20535 09/22/03 06:08 AM
axiomite
axiomite
One of the main reasons I ended up buying the M60's was their much more three dimensional soundstage.

The best way to describe the M60 is to say does everything the M22 does, but bigger and better.

I really don't think you have to worry about sending the M60's back if you get them. If you truly do like the M22's but just want a larger/fuller soundstage, the M60's are your speaker.

#20536 09/22/03 10:26 AM
old hand
old hand
Hi Dharm,

I have both M22's and M60's. I have been listening to the M22's at my place for over 4-5 months and love these. I have only listened to M60's for a short while (2 hours max.) and haven't really played with the positioning that much.

If you are going to sit 9 feet away, my recommendation is M22. From the little experience that I had playing with M60's (seating 12' to 13' away), I found that at short distances the difference between the two models is not that much.

M60's do play louder and still have that clarity. Also definitely more bass. I am not a loudness fan so M22's fill my room pretty well. Soundstage seems similar in both these models but again I haven't had so much time with the M60's as much as with the M22's.

I'll keep experimenting with the M60's and post more later this week or next week.

Cheers / Mahesh

#20537 09/22/03 03:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Once again it seems like the ugly "room accoustics" monster rears it's head. In my room the difference between the two was quite noticable.

#20538 09/22/03 07:43 PM
old hand
old hand
Hi Spiff,

I am inclined towards that conclusion too. My tweeter was definitely placed 8" above ear level (M22's tweeters are in-line with my ears) but I didn't want to put too much time into it because of workload.

I'll experiment some more with my M60's and I am sure I will get them to work. I just got back from Europe and I have too much work backlog for the next 7-8 days.

I have 2 pairs of the M60's (the second one is for a friend) and his room is actually more ideal for the M60's than mine. I am going to play with positioning and acoustics in his room (which is bigger than mine) and post later.

Cheers

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters