Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Panamax Power Conditoner or UPS?
Ken.C #205090 04/22/08 04:08 PM
C
buff
buff
C
I have a Monster Power HTS 3600 Mark II in my 2-channel system. I got it off Craigslist for US$100 bucks. They make all sorts of fance claims, I cannot hear any difference (good or bad), but figure at that price it was about the same cost as a good surge suppressor, and yes, it looks much better in my rack! ;^)

Clay

PS - I DO hear that it helps any device with a low-cost DC wall-wart, and I have two of those, my NAD PP-2 phone-preamp and my Pro-Ject Turntable. I never did any A-B listening on that deal, however, so I have no comment on advantages.

ClayB #205105 04/22/08 05:45 PM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
My advice to anyone buying surge protectors, line conditioners and the like is call up the company and ask for the international standards that their products comply with. And when they give you that info, ask for the test reports.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
sovkiller #206330 04/30/08 10:04 PM
S
hobbyist
hobbyist
S
Speaking from the standpoint of protecting your equipment in my humble opinion.

If you can swing it put in a whole house suppressor off your panel. My panel is full unfortunately and is on my list of things to do ;\)

For my subs I am using the in-wall surge suppressor. Leviton 5280-IG has an isolated ground as well. Making sure you have grounded outlets is always important but, keep in mind given the interconnectivity of AV systems now you may need to also filter your phone/sat/cable as entry points.

I would agree that unless you got a commerical type UPS most residential UPS would not be suitable for an amplifier. Most residential UPS only perform basic power filtering and do not do any type of regeneration of the signal. For those that regenerate the AC signal and run off the battery you would need a larger UPS to handle the load off what an Amp may push.

I have a Panamax 5300 but, I also have some expensive equipment sitting behind it. Also put in perspective how much your gear your protecting is worth vs. how your protect your equipment because, really all your doing is buying insurance that your gear will not take a power hit.

-R

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020