Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram!
tomtuttle #206624 05/02/08 05:07 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Looks like Bren got North Dakota covered for us. Whew!
And after the Pembina border crossing that the van I was in got searched those 16 years ago, I haven't been back since. I thought I would finally have a reason now that I'm shooting a lot more, making trips to East Grand Forks to Cabela's but with the new export laws for ammunition (which read "verboten") - I don't have much reason to shop across the 49th.

The one place I do really want to visit is Turkey... have a friend there that keeps sending pics... "here's a picture from my apartment window" "Is that the Great Wall of Constantinople?" "Yes" "Huh... here's a picture from my back yard... those are, uh... geese... in a field. Their history is slightly less detailed... plus they poop a lot"

Bren R.

BrenR #206705 05/02/08 09:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Bren, if you do make the trip to East Grand Forks you can then add Minnesota to your list of visited places. ;\)

A few years ago I spent some time in Grand Forks, and in a little town just to the north and west of there is where my one and only sure enough pilot error induced airplane wreck occurred ... leaving me a little bruised and battered and the airplane a total loss. I haven't been back to that place since.

Make that trip to Turkey, you'll like it. I visited Istanbul whenever I was stationed in the next door country of Greece, I really do like that part of the world and plan on making a trip back one day hopefully prior to my departure from this earth.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #206709 05/02/08 10:06 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
 Originally Posted By: RickF
Bren, if you do make the trip to East Grand Forks you can then add Minnesota to your list of visited places. ;\)
Funny you should mention - I was just informed within the past year that E.G.F. is in MN. To quote Johnny Carson - I did not know that.

Quote:
Make that trip to Turkey, you'll like it. I visited Istanbul whenever I was stationed in the next door country of Greece, I really do like that part of the world and plan on making a trip back one day hopefully prior to my departure from this earth.
Like I say, I'll have a guide (cute one, too!)... and for the most part, I'm kind of blase on touristy crap. Some people just go places to go there and to see them, I just don't enjoy travelling by any means enough to want to see most places unless there's a real hook for me.... all the architecture, history and being able to hop back and forth between Asia and Europe is enough I think.

Just have to quit smoking now, so I can make the flight. 90 minutes in a plane, 120 minutes in a car is about my limit before I start getting extremely antsy.

Bren R.

snakeyes #206738 05/03/08 02:22 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: snakeyes
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Hunh. I had you pegged as a Boston resident.
Well I don't no how you came up with that as my avatar has been either Mets or Giants every since you have known me. Oh and the other thing is MY LOCATION SAYS NEWBURGH, NY. lol J/K

Hey, Ive been there! I stayed with a friend who lived in Clintondale at the time for about a month. Nice area! Was hotter than hell though! Of course... 90 is about enough to cause heat strokes around here \:\)

medic8r #206754 05/03/08 06:03 AM
shareholder in the making
Well, I'm far too lazy to consider constructing a map, but the lack of affection shown for Mark Johnson's beloved state inspires me to point out that of the roughly 30 states, 9 provinces and 40 countries that I've visited, southern New Hampshire with a stay in Portsmouth was certainly a highlight. This was as part of a New England tour years ago and long before I became aware of the room that sucks, so that was a highlight that was passed up.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #206766 05/03/08 12:35 PM
Thanks, John. I'm feelin' the love...... I think.....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #206770 05/03/08 01:09 PM
I
local
local
I
Bren R., I was born in Turkey and came to the States at age 14. I go back there every summer to visit my father and enjoy the Mediterranean. The southwest coast is especially breathtaking for its torquise blue costline full of ruins (amphitheaters, castles, aquaducts, temples, churches), great food, and friendliest people you'd find anywhere. The flight from NY to Istanbul is 9 hours going and 11 hours return, so you'd better apply some nicotine patches before getting onboard. Best time to go is either in June or in September, when tourists are less and weather is not too hot. I would bet that if you go there once, you will surely want to come back again.

Now, I live in CT, close to Mark, and if anyone wants to drop by, you'd be most welcome.

John

Last edited by ihifi; 05/03/08 01:12 PM.

John
Our HT

ihifi #206772 05/03/08 01:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
and friendliest people you'd find anywhere.

Something I have heard from many sources. Istanbul is on my top 5 list of places to visit before I die. Sooo much human history has taken place in this area.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #206802 05/03/08 07:06 PM
medic8r Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Cool, more maps. Now I, too, have the urge to travel more.

Although I don't think I could make it through a trip to Istanbul without singing that They Might Be Giants song, and then I'd have to slap myself for being too obvious.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #206807 05/03/08 09:08 PM
JP, you really have to learn to delegate.

If you asked nicely, I'm sure a line of people willing to slap you would form down the street and around the block.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020