Re: Reommendatios for a compact pistol
BrenR #210913 06/07/08 03:51 AM
W
Wid Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
W

I have no plans on stripping it to the frame but field stripping isn't bad at all.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #210916 06/07/08 08:52 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
No, not at all...

Drop hammer, open mainspring housing latch, lift out and pull down, reach in with a dental pick and pull the hammer spur away from the frame, remove bolt, hold grip, pull barrel forward and off.

To reassemble - do the reverse, remembering to put the hammer all the way back before putting in the bolt, and then raising the hammer up (with the trigger pulled) before putting in the mainspring housing and making sure to tip the barrel facing up while you lock in the latch again.

I usually disassemble the bolt (easy to do - spring fit) and firing pin (drift out the one roll pin) every second time I have it apart, and do the full down-to-the-frame strip and clean maybe once a month (especially since the trigger return spring and nub get coked up pretty quick giving you a gritty trigger)

I also don't use cleaning rods and jags, I clean everything but my inline with boresnakes.

Bren R.

BrenR #210921 06/07/08 02:38 PM
W
Wid Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
W
 Quote:
Drop hammer, open mainspring housing latch, lift out and pull down, reach in with a dental pick and pull the hammer spur away from the frame, remove bolt, hold grip, pull barrel forward and off.

To reassemble - do the reverse, remembering to put the hammer all the way back before putting in the bolt, and then raising the hammer up (with the trigger pulled) before putting in the mainspring housing and making sure to tip the barrel facing up while you lock in the latch again.

This part is easy, I get that. I was saying I don't plan a total off frame cleaning anytime soon. Maybe in time.

I did get a boresnake, pretty nice piece of equipment. I just normally go by the usual cleaning methods I use on my other firearms (bristle brush and cleaning patches) I have read not to over use the brush on a .22 as it can damage the barrel but if the manufacture says it's ok I don't see how it can harm it.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #210953 06/08/08 08:04 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Well, there are three main types of brushes...

"Brass" (actually phosphor bronze) brushes are the norm - they're soft enough to not damage the bore, yet stiff enough to work out powder and copper fouling.

Stainless steel brushes work incredibly well in removing even the most caked in fouling, but since they're made of a harder material than the bore, they leave microscratches in it. (except Hoppes' Tornado brushes which use the edges of a helix shaped brush to clean instead - these work very well and are non- or not very damaging).

Nylon brushes I've never really had any luck with... they're good to use with copper solvents (since phosphor bronze brushes get eaten by the solvent) but I find they're either too stiff to easily work the bore with, or too soft to do a good scrubbing job.

The main problem with traditional rod & patch/brush cleaning is the rod... if you clean from the muzzle end... it is very easy to damage the crown, and no matter what end you clean from, letting the rod run along the lands of the barrel is damaging as well. You should really use a bore guide that keeps the rod as centered as possible in the bore to minimize scraping it.

Also, those cheap 3-piece aluminum rods are good for carrying in your field/range box, but they flex too easily for day to day use... I use boresnakes for most cleaning... if I have to do anything that requires a rod, I have Tipton carbon fibre rods for the rifles - thin one for .17 and .22, thicker one for fullbore and a straight steel one for .50 and shotguns.

As for how often to clean - there are as many timelines as there are shooters. I must be doing something right, half the people say I do it too often, the other not often enough.

Bren R.

BrenR #211542 06/14/08 03:31 AM
W
Wid Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
W
I'm picking up the High Standard tomorrow. I'll try to get some pics once I get it all cleaned up. If my research is correct, I think it is, the pistol was made between 1955 and 1959.

Rick

Wid #211573 06/14/08 06:06 PM
W
Wid Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
W

Well here it is, after a good cleaning. It took a good couple of hours to get it really cleaned up.

I'm pretty pleased with how good a shape it turned out to be. I inspected the frame and it looks like all is well. The only thing that was a bit difficult was getting the barrel lug to turn. A spay of WD40 did the trick.

John, thanks for the link to the instructions, they worked great.

Rick

Wid #211592 06/15/08 01:38 AM
shareholder in the making
Looks pretty good now, Rick; nice buy if you got it for $150 or less. By the way, it looks to me like it's the one that left the factory on the afternoon of 1/28/69. Okay, that's not entirely a wild guess; using the serial no., 2041056, and checking John Stimson's site for the tables of Dura-Matic models and serial numbers appears to point toward January of 1969.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #211593 06/15/08 01:47 AM
Remind me to call on my cell before I just drop in Rick. \:\)

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

JohnK #211597 06/15/08 02:00 AM
W
Wid Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
W

John,

Nice find on the serial number. I knew it was out there but I'll be darned if I could find it again. You are right on the money with what I gave for the pistol. I thought it was a good buy, I'm happy with it.

Rick

BrenR #212359 06/20/08 03:58 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
 Originally Posted By: BrenR
[quote=Hutzal]

On the revolver side, there's the S&W Model 500 - people gather around it at the range, but no one ever wants to shoot more than a round or two out of it. After the first shot I took with one... even with a light load and holding it Chapman hold... I kept thumbing it for the second shot, so I just unloaded it and handed it back. No sense wasting a shot.

Again, my opinion...

Bren R.

Interesting. I shoot multiple cylinders at a time, and I'm by no means a huge guy (6' and currently 190lbs). I've shot the full range of loads for it (handloading), and I've had people shoot it for the first time, several rounds and even a full cylinder their first time. Perhaps it's intimidating for people who don't shoot large calibers. Back on topic though, I think Taurus has "the judge" which does .45 and .410... I'd love to have that as a home defense piece.

Sony KDS60A2000 Yamaha RX-V659 Oppo 881HD Axiom M60(2),VP150,QS8(2),EP500(2) Harmony 880
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters