#2068 03/16/02 08:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello
I thought I had a good system, Harman Kardon AVR65, Infinity Composition Overture 3 towers ($2,800 msrp), Infinity CC3 center, Velodyne CT100 sub, Infinity RS3 rears) I then bought a Merak (lesser Axiom brand) center channel with a horn tweeter for my second system, and it clearly was much better than the Infinity center channel. I then got a pair of M3s for my modest living room system - Technics SADX940, old JVC CD player, Velodyne CT80 sub. This system with a $120 receiver and $220 speakers just blew away my expensive Harman Kardon/Infinity system.

Not able to leave well enough alone, I'm giving away the sweet Technics, and ordered a pair of nOrh Le Amp 100 watt monoblocks, a Cambridge D500SE CD player and Parasound PHP 850 preamp. Has anyone matched the Le Amp monoblocks to M3 or M22 speakers?

Re: nOrh Le Amps with Axiom speakers?
#2069 03/18/02 06:20 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Figured I'd respond to my own post.

Well, I hooked up the Technics to the new Cambridge D500SE CD player via a pair of Maple Audio Ambience interconnects. Installed a silver Acme silver cryo electrical outlet and found out that the builders never bothered to connect the ground wire to my old outlet. Played my favorites all weekend to "burn" in the CD player, outlet and cables. That's what the manufacturers say you've got to do, sounds like voodoo to me. Have about another 10 hours of running the little people through the wires.

First thing I noticed is that the sound staging is now very noticeable. Stan Getz is playing his trumpet off to my right, and Antonio Carlos Jobim is singing from out of my fireplace. Wow!

Love these M3s! They sound so lifelike.

On Friday, I went to a wood ensemble concert - trumpets, picolos, flutes, clarinets, oboes, tubas, French horns, bells, and various odd percussion instruments. Someday, speakers will be able to recreate the sound of live music - but those instruments move a lot of air.

I realize that I've moved a bit of it myself. nOrh has not yet confirmed production of the new run of Le Amp monoblock 100 watt ss amplifiers. They are supposed to be to amps what M3s are to speakers, ridiculous overachievers for the price ($495 for the pair).

I've never heard them, just read good reviews. While waiting for the nOrhs, I began to read about tube amplifiers. First the Antique Sound Labs Wave AV8 for $200 for a pair of tube monoblocks. Then I read about various tubies which folks rave about. Now I'm all confused.

Anyone have any recommendations for a better amplifier solution than the nOrhs for the price?

Thanks again in advance.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
ASL 1003DT works well
#2070 03/19/02 01:41 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
I've tried the Antique Sound Labs 1003DT with the M3's and they work very well together. I think the M3's have smooth, slightly recessed highs (unusual for a metal tweeter) and the 1003DT helps offset that. I suspect the Wave 8's would have the same kind of sound only with less bass.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup