Rate Thread
Anyone spent much time in Kauai?
#205588 04/26/08 04:47 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
We’ll be there next week for 12 days/nights. Last time I was there was three months after the hurricane hit the Island (must have been about ten years ago or thereabouts). We were like the first tourists to visit the island and all the tours and outfitters were still looking for their boats and helo’s…..

So anyway, I’ve been doing some research and am overwhelmed by all the different choices for boat rides, sailing trips, kayak tours, ziplineing and raft trips. I’d like to book some activities before we get there, but before I do, I figured I’d ask the kind Axiom forum members for tips first.

Last time I visited the islands I stayed in Maui and went to a luau. I enjoyed the heck out it and plan to go to one or two this trip as well. It looks as if there are five different ones being offered in Kauai. Not real sure which one’s to go to…..

We’re staying in Kapaa with a group of other folks that are using a wedding as an excuse for a vacation in Kauai (nope, not us).

Re: Anyone spent much time in Kauai?
michael_d #205593 04/26/08 06:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Quote:
We’ll be there next week for 12 days/nights

Nice! I haven't been there for about 15 years, but I did do the rafts on the Napali coastline last time I was there. That had to be one of my favorite excursions, they explore the sea caves as well as let you do some snorkeling along the coast, truly a breathtaking experience. I think the the tour name was Captain something.
The helicopters are also fun if you want to see some forest and waterfalls that aren't accessible by land, but I prefer being on the water.
If you get back to Maui, biking down the volcano was my favorite excursion there.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #205631 04/27/08 04:54 AM
axiomite
axiomite
If you want to see the rainforest up close, you can hike in. Just don't pitch a tent in the general vicinity. Trust me on that one. \:o

I spent almost two weeks on Kauai 25 years ago. Its a beautiful island.

Fred

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
HomeDad #205634 04/27/08 05:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: HomeDad
 Quote:
We’ll be there next week for 12 days/nights

Nice! I haven't been there for about 15 years, but I did do the rafts on the Napali coastline last time I was there. That had to be one of my favorite excursions, they explore the sea caves as well as let you do some snorkeling along the coast, truly a breathtaking experience. I think the the tour name was Captain something.
The helicopters are also fun if you want to see some forest and waterfalls that aren't accessible by land, but I prefer being on the water.
If you get back to Maui, biking down the volcano was my favorite excursion there.

Probably Captain Zodiac is what your talking about. Ive never been to Kauai yet but do want to go. Its a really nice island from what I have seen on our new HD channel that I believe is state sponsored and had some footage from there.

Haoleb #205678 04/27/08 05:25 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Captain Andie's?? I booked a Na Pali Coast raft tour with them. They say they take you in closer with the raft than the larger vessels. I also went ahaed and booked a dinner cruise, zip line jungle tour and a kyaking tour up the river. I reckon that's enough for now. I'd like to do some divinb, but I don't have a dive buddy to go with. I hate walk up dive tours too... You never know what kind of idiot you'll get to dive with.

michael_d #205819 04/28/08 06:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Love to hear more...I'm trying to plan a big 10th anniversary trip to Kauai for Roger and I next year!

spiffnme #205835 04/28/08 08:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
12 days? I love Hawaii and that's a long time on Kauai. Been goign there for years, last time was about 3 or 4 years ago. Not much has changed. If you've been, you know how slow it can get there, but that's the appeal.

A good local guide is this book: http://www.explorekauai.com/. Lots of off the beaten path things. Had some good recs for secluded beaches up near Princeville.

If you're a golfer, Princeville is a must. I try to for twilight hours just when it starts. You might get lucky if you get there early. They let me tee off about an hour early and I was able to finish. Poipu has a great course as well. The local course near Kapa'a is cheap and much better than a lot of muni courses on the mainland. Heck, you're in Hawaii...

Hamura's Saimin is a must for local Saimin. Great lilikoi (passionfruit) pie. For FANTASTIC (and I mean that) fried chicken, there's a hole in the wall near Hanapepe called Imu Hut. Good to stop by, get a bucket of chicken for picnic and head up to Waimea Canyon. For a great breakfast, try the Country Kitchen. I loved the macadamia pancakes with coconut syrup.

For some reason, there's a big concentration of hippy/health nuts there too. Worked out well though, my wife made some connections at the local yoga studio and we were able to find some babysitters. We had a good vegan meal at Lotus (?). Across the street there's an organic burrito joint too.

As I think of more, I'll post. Bear in mind that this is a SMALL island, Maui (Lahaina) is New York City compared to Kauai. Stay off the main road through town (Kihei) during lunch and afternoon commute. You'll be in traffic for an hour.

spiffnme #208268 05/15/08 07:03 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
 Originally Posted By: spiffnme
Love to hear more...I'm trying to plan a big 10th anniversary trip to Kauai for Roger and I next year!

When I have more time this weekend, I'll write up a mini trip report. In summery, I loved this island so much, I have a property listing and am working up a buisness plan to see if the numbers will work out. There is PLENTY to do, even if you spend a month or longer there.

michael_d #208272 05/15/08 07:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Glad to hear you are back and looking forward to your writeup. Probably next year when the kids are a little older we plan on making the trip.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #208275 05/15/08 07:28 PM
J
buff
buff
J
I went to Kauai about two years ago, stayed on the north shore in Princeville. It rained the entire time, and I LOVED it. The hike along the north/west cliffs is probably the best I have ever done. I went back to Maui a year later and wished I had gone to Kauai instead. I will definitely be going back, hopefully not in the rainy season this time!

Last edited by JaredM; 05/15/08 07:29 PM.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044