Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Rip DVD's?
#208525 05/19/08 04:39 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
We need more room in our living room, and my large DVD tower is taking up too much space. I've never ripped a DVD before, but the idea is rather appealing. I've got a couple questions though.

DVD playback through the disasterous experiment that was/is my HTPC is horrible. I don't trust I'll ever be happy with the PQ. I've tried everything I can think of. It's just complete crap.

Standard def DVDs played back through my PS3 are quite good though - at least they're watchable. Can I rip my entire DVD collection to the HTPC's drive(s) and play them back through the PS3? I'm beginning to lean towards using the HTPC as a server simply to hold all my movies and music, and use the PS3 to play it all back. Seems to work ok for MP3's. Anyone doing this for their DVD's?

Re: Rip DVD's?
spiffnme #208533 05/19/08 06:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Good question. I'm ready to get this project started as well since I had my PS3 updated recently.

I know that the PS3 can automatically see shared iTunes libraries because mine showed up automatically from my Mac Mini. Granted it's only MP3 files and not protected AAC files from iTunes. My iTunes videos (converted DVDs, AVIs and MP4 files) didn't seem to show up though.

I'm going to try MediaLink from NullRiver. I also use EyeTV so Eyeconnect should also work. FMU on a PC you just need to enable the DLNA server feature, though not sure how that's done.

IMHO, handbrake is one of the best ripping tools. Has built in presets for different client targets, like Apple TV, iPod, PSP, etc. It also supports multiple platforms. On a G4 Mac or fast PC, it can take about 2 hours for a DVD. On a Core Duo 2, 30 minutes to 45 minutes.

http://handbrake.fr/

oldskoolboarder #208541 05/19/08 08:01 PM
F
regular
regular
F
I echo what oldskool posted.

DVD Shrink, Handbrake, USB HD and PS3.

If you copy your files to a root folder called VIDEO you can acces the usb device files without having to press triangle and display all. That being said, I don't do it as you cannot name any folders deeper than 1 down if you do so.

If you read through the forums at the handbrake website you'll find some good default settings to try (along with the ps3 profile). I have 5.1 sound and all of my dvd's archived between 1.5gb and 2gb each. It is pretty slick, especially with the upscaling of these files. But it is time consuming like all the ripping solutions.

Last edited by fraink; 05/19/08 08:02 PM. Reason: forgot about upscaling benefit
fraink #208550 05/19/08 10:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Use dvd43 to get around the DVD encription.

I use OneCopy DVD to rip DVDs. That is because I have to compress dual layer DVDs to get them onto a single layer DVD if I want to burn the information later. If you're going to keep teh files uncompressed on your hard-drive (recommended), then Handbrake will work just fine.

Be prepared to spend some time (10 mins per DVD) and also be prepared to spend some money on a decent sized hard-drive and a back up drive, just in case.

Capn_Pickard #208553 05/19/08 11:11 PM
F
regular
regular
F
There is also another easier method which I've actually just tested successfully. You use DVD Shrink to 1 vob file, rename it to *.mpeg. All of my concert dvds had too much movement and looked terrible so I'll be doing this for those, and just deal with the larger file sizes for these select few.

One major sideffect that I just noticed when ripping this way is that using ff and reverse freaks out the playback. If you use either of them, the playback just hangs for long peroids of time. /shrug.

Here's the walkthrough link:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/c...etup-tests.html

fraink #208554 05/19/08 11:59 PM
F
regular
regular
F
I'm an idiot, ignore my previous post about renaming to mpeg.

If you take a look at the last pages of the thread you'll notice that the ps3 will play vobs straight up. I just tested that as well and it plays perfectly and all the ff/rewind is now functional. Hurray!

Long story short:
Buy a huge usb storage device and load it up with vob files \:\)

fraink #208555 05/20/08 12:02 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I don't mind buying a ton of storage. Nor do I mind if ripping my library takes a long time. I'm looking for the best quality archive I can get. Speed and space isn't an issue. PQ and SQ, as well as ease of playback is though.

I've heard about the file rename trick before. If I do that, can the PS3 playback these ".mpeg" files a-ok? This retains the full 5.1 soundtrack as well?

spiffnme #208558 05/20/08 12:42 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Hi Craig - been awhile. Couple of things.

I was deciding between HTPC and PS3 a few months back and stumbled across that great thread Frank pointed you to. It will get you to a place where you can create a single.vob file (doesn't need to be renamed to "mpeg") that you can place on what ever storage you plan to use. (more on that in a minute).

Also, the fact that you can stream through the PS3 is great for music and pics; the DVDs can be iffy if you are using a wireless network.

I ended up use storage for my DVDs. In the thread you'll see that you will want to keep the .vob file you create from your DVD under 4GB (otherwise the PS3 won't see/play it.

For storage, you have a variety of good alternatives:
1) It is a simple (and relatively inexpensive) option to replace the internal 2.5" internal PS3 drive. YouTube has several videos to show how. Up to 320GB available (get the 5400rpm). You can put the internal you replace into an external case to use as backup as well.

2) There are network storage devices (NAS) available as well. The Linksys model gets decent marks.

3) I chose this option. My PS3 has 2 USB ports. I plugged a powered 7 port USB D-Link hub (high marks and Newegg has it with a rebate this month). I have plugged my external 750GB and 320GB hard drives into the hub. While I already had the external drives, I chose this approach for several reasons. First - the storage capability is unlimited (as well as more reliable/less expensive than NAS). Second, it takes the whole networking aggravation out of the loop for DVDs/movies. I also put my pics and music on one of the drives (total of only 6GB). Third (somewhat related to second), I don't need to have my PC turned on on the second floor while I am in the basement man cave. Fourth, the flexibility of ripping my DVDs over to the .vob files can be done over time and I can then unplug one of the externals from the PS3 hub, plug into the PC and move the DVDs to the hard drive - then plug back into the hub.

So far it's been working a treat.

As an aside, I was concerned about having to scroll through way too many DVD titles to find a movie I would want on that external Hard drive. I was pleased to find out I could put another set of folders in the VIDEO folder and organize the movies a bit easier. For example, I have a James Bond" folder (all 21 movies), a "Harry Potter" folder, a "Lethal Weapon" - you get the idea.

The audio playback is fine. You'll determine what audio (you can only get one choice - stereo, Dolby 5.1, DTS, etc.) you want when you create your .vob file.

Final point - the quality is better than you would expect with going through this process. I really don't see any difference between a .vob or it's DVD.

One other thing - unless you do something to change it, you need to use the PS3 game controller for a remote and it pretty much is not a good thing. There are several solutions available out there and this threaD AT avsis long, but is a must read if you want to do something about a more elegant PS3 remote.

I ended up ordering the PRO model. It will plug into that USB port for power and there is a full set of PS2 commands I can plug into my MX-900 remote. It is an IR solution vs. blue tooth and allows me to continue to use a single remote. Also, this puppy supports discrete codes for on and off.

Let us know what you decide.

Last edited by Ray3; 05/20/08 12:43 AM.
Ray3 #208589 05/20/08 12:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hey Ray, Does it come with a list of IR codes to program into your Universal Remote? I have seen a list for PS2 that would work for most functions but I wonder about the distinct on and off.

I normally like to have my URC300 'learn' each command from the old remote so I make sure the button layouts stay consistent but this product does not come with a remote to learn from. Not a big deal as Google knows all but thought I'd ask since you have the product.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #208603 05/20/08 02:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The PS3 is blue tooth, so universal remotes do not work \:\(

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup