Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Rip DVD's?
Ray3 #208680 05/20/08 09:54 PM
shareholder in the making
Off topic--I tried Handbrake on some DVDs that I own, and it came out looking pretty bad, esp compared to the VIDEO.TS files I still had on the computer from the ripping. Any advice on settings?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ray3 #208684 05/20/08 10:55 PM
J
J
 Originally Posted By: Ray3
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
Any suggestions on a program that will rip a DVD into a 700 MB VCD?

Thanks

I wouldn't even waste the time trying. That kind of compression will give you horrific PQ.
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
My favorite ripping programs are avaialable from Slysoft , I have never been unable to rip anything with them, save for a couple of bad discs.

Jason - read through the thread I suggested for Craig. You will find that DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink do the job nicely.

Actually I have Nero and compressing a DVD into MP4 works really well and the PQ wasn't too bad as long as you aren't trying to go bigscreen.

DVDdecrypter is dead no more updates AFAIK. Last I heard they were shut down, early last year I believe.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #208688 05/20/08 11:03 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
Any suggestions on a program that will rip a DVD into a 700 MB VCD?

Thanks

I wouldn't even waste the time trying. That kind of compression will give you horrific PQ.
My favorite ripping programs are avaialable from Slysoft , I have never been unable to rip anything with them, save for a couple of bad discs.

Jason - read through the thread I suggested for Craig. You will find that DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink do the job nicely.

Actually I have Nero and compressing a DVD into MP4 works really well and the PQ wasn't too bad as long as you aren't trying to go bigscreen.

DVDdecrypter is dead no more updates AFAIK. Last I heard they were shut down, early last year I believe.

It's still out there for download. An alternative is DVDFab HD Decrypter.

For both you and Ken, this site has a wealth of information on this subject.

Ken.C #208690 05/20/08 11:06 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Off topic--I tried Handbrake on some DVDs that I own, and it came out looking pretty bad, esp compared to the VIDEO.TS files I still had on the computer from the ripping. Any advice on settings?

Ken, get to the site I referenced above. Alos, You might look at MacTheRipper, DVD2OneX and Toast as a nice combo if you are looking for quality.

Ray3 #208691 05/20/08 11:10 PM
Eh, I'm too cheap to use Toast. Although that would give me certain other goodies I want; namely TiVotoGo for the Mac. What is up with charging Mac users $90 to get TTG, TiVo, when you give it to Windows users for free? Jerks. Man, I paid you guys like $500 5 years ago and not a cent since, you owe me more free stuff! ;\)

Actually, my main problem now is that I only have 1.5 hours more video on the computer, 2 more nights in a hotel, and a 3 hour flight on Thursday. The agony of having to do something other than watch old TV shows!

Last edited by kcarlile; 05/20/08 11:10 PM.

Ken.C #208692 05/20/08 11:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
kcarlie
Yeah, it sucks that Tivo Desktop is $25 on the PC but you need Toast on a Mac for full functionality. Have to admit though, it makes life easier on a Mac w/ those tools, including my EyeTV.

Do you have a Series 2? If so, you can probably get by using the Tivo Decode Manager.

http://tdm.sourceforge.net/

On topic, I'm interested where this thread goes. I really want to play vids on my PS3. Which format is most recognized by the PS3? Are the same MP4 files that play on a PSP, playable on a PS3 via a "DLNA" type method?

oldskoolboarder #208724 05/21/08 04:07 AM
Oh yeah.. forgot about the OSS doohickies. I'll have to look into it. Yup, got me a Series2, fought like the dickens to keep it alive because of the lifetime subscription.

Ken.C #208735 05/21/08 05:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: spiffnme

DVD playback through the disasterous experiment that was/is my HTPC is horrible. I don't trust I'll ever be happy with the PQ. I've tried everything I can think of. It's just complete crap.

Is this the norm for most people because DVD playback from disk or hard drive on my HTPC is as good or better than my Oppo 981HD. More configuration options too.

I don't mind buying a ton of storage. Nor do I mind if ripping my library takes a long time. I'm looking for the best quality archive I can get. Speed and space isn't an issue. PQ and SQ, as well as ease of playback is though.

If you are serious about ripping and serving lots of DVD and uncompressed music I would go with Ray3’s …”2) There are network storage devices (NAS) available as well.” I have one that holds 4 hot swappable hard drives is available to everything on my network and is accessible over the internet so when I go overseas I don’t have to carry a bunch of media or watch/listen to compressed stuff. They are still pricey but I think more than worth it for the flexibility if you are storing lots of stuff.

We need more room in our living room, and my large DVD tower is taking up too much space.

I switched all my stuff over to slim-line CD cases and it takes up much less room. I fit over 800 disks in just one cheep Walmart media storage bookshelf. Makes them a little harder to find but so would running out of wall space. Works best for multi disk series which I rubber band together with a label.

Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #208747 05/21/08 12:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm sure the other products do as well but DVD-Shrink is the only product I have used and it allows you to modify the level of compression used to suit your needs. If you are just a little over 4GB after stripping out the menus, extra sound tracks and closed captioning files, then you can just adjust the compression slider a bit more to get it where you need it.

I have yet to experiment on compression on other than my current 46" screen but I'm normally happy with the results. If it's a movie I truly want pristine visual effects with, I will avoid compression altogether just to alleviate the "what if feeling". That means digging out the original DVD, but I only have a few in that category.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters