Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Life Has Been Busy
#208777 05/21/08 04:17 PM
Tharkun Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Have been busy and not taken time to post on the forum, so here are a few things that have kept me busy.

After replacing the 2004 350Z with the 2006 350Z because of to many problems with that model year, the 06 had a transmission/clutch issue at 18k miles. To make a long story short, Nissan decided to stick me with a $ 2,400 repair bill stating it was not normal wear/tear. So well it was in the shop for two weeks well I argued with corporate, the decision was made to replace it.

Decided to try a 2007 Mini Cooper S, less insurance cost, better gas mileage, and BMW has the 4 year warranty with 3 year service included. So after placing the order and waiting 9 weeks for it to be produced and shipped from Oxford, it arrived here safely last August. Today it is going in for the first service which for BMW is 15k, so at this point it has been far better than the two Z's as it now has 15,200 miles and have not had one issue, and this will be the first time in the shop since delivery. In the Mini world, owners tend to name their Mini, so meet Skeeter. \:\/

Being a Disney freak, decided to have a custom roof graphic made, that was a six week project.

Next project was replacing the 2006 Yamaha V Star 1100 that I had purchased after having the first heart attack, after having a second one in 02/07 I just did not feel comfortable on two wheels any longer.

Well recovering last February I found a web site with a new design of a trike, it looked very interesting. So after waiting for dealerships to be established, I placed a deposit and was on the waiting list. A few months later BRB had units out on tour and over the summer I was able to do several test ride of the bike I had already purchased.

After some delays in production, shipping and such, I took delivery of # 409 last September. BRB had a promotional program for the first 2,500 owners, a free jacket and limited edition plaques on the handle bars. Jay Leno was involved with the promotion so of course he received # 0001.

So here is Spydie, the Can-Am Spyder.

Next I decided to purchase a trailer so when I travel, I have the option of taking Spydie along. Because of the long wheel base and low ground clearance, the usual bike trailers was not the best plan. So I went with a company out of Colorado that has designed a fully air ride suspension trailer, advantage is with a flip of a switch, the trailer deck drops to ground level. So it is a simple ride on/off operation. Only issue was the owner tends to not tell all the facts, so once the trailer arrived I spent the next 5 weeks making improvements, mods, re-painting the trailer as it did not match as stated. Any ways, here is the Spyder Transport.

Before mods.

Spydie & Skeeter

Last summer is was apparent that the garage was becoming over filled, so decided to build a garage for the Spyder and roomies Ninja 650. A usual with my projects, the garage ended up being more involved than a simple shed, decided to run an underground feed from the house panel to a sub panel in he garage, add a skylight, custom sized roll up door, and paneled the interior.

A few months ago I found a good price on a Panasonic 65" Plasma, so could not pass on that. Only issue was it involved a major mod to the HT system to accommodate it. Well it is in place and working, I still need to do a major rewire of the HT equipment racks to remove/install new components.

So this is some of the things that have kept be from posting much on the forum. I have plans on making a trip up the coast back home to Everett on Spydie as soon as I have good weather in WA/OR.

Also I have another new interest which is powered parachutes, I'm fortunate to have one of the few airports that welcome them, so have become friends with a few owners and will be learning how to fly these great toys.

I'll try to post a bit more often, more so about the HT system changes/updates as I do them.
\:\)

Last edited by Tharkun; 05/21/08 04:45 PM.
Re: Life Has Been Busy
Tharkun #208782 05/21/08 04:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Holy Mackerel, Dennis! You have been busy!

I saw one of those Can-am Spyders a few weeks back on the road. Looks like it scoots along pretty good.

Also, I like the Mini Cooper. Having been an old VW Bug owner, I love cars with personality--something a lot of modern cars are severely lacking. My VW's name was Bud.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #208784 05/21/08 04:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Welcome back Dennis, It's great to hear from you again, nice toys by the way. \:\)

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #208785 05/21/08 04:45 PM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
Love the 'shed' and the new toys. I was surprised to see a lack of speakers in the toy house;\)

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #208789 05/21/08 04:52 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Welcome back Dennis, if that is your real name.

With all those vehicles, I believe our board has been infiltrated by Jay Leno.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
St_PatGuy #208793 05/21/08 05:07 PM
Tharkun Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
The only issue with the Spyder has been the "attention" factor. As of now there are less than four thousand in North America, Australia & Europe. Here in this area less than a few dozen, so if I'm on a schedule I don't take Spydie, still playing PR person and it can get old.

But I think it is the best bike I have had, very stable and it is not underpowered. Has 106 hp, 0-60 in about 4.9, tops out at about 128mph. Five speed with geared reverse, ABS braking, power assisted steering, 3 on board computers which keeps ya from doing something stupid. Mileage is 30 -36mpg so not bad with current gas prices.

BRB has added more dealers this year and all dealers have a demo bike, so anyone that is interested, go take a test ride, it is one of those things ya need to at least experience. \:\)

But it is a toss up between the Mini (over sized go kart) or Spydie, they are both a fun ride.

Tharkun #208796 05/21/08 05:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Dennis, this thread has placed you on the list of Axiomites that I definitely have to meet.

I was thinking that Peter was my long lost twin because we are both within a half inch of 6'4.5" (him: over, me: under), both drive Maximas, and have a similar sense of humor.

However, just yesterday I was cruising eBay motors for low mileage 350Zs, and I've nearly been to the local Mini dealer for a test drive. One of these days, I'll get a fun second car. Add to that the fact that I've been to WDW five times in 10 years, and I think that you and I should share stories over drinks.

Really nice photos. I'm sure those are some fun toys.

Thanks for checking in!

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #208799 05/21/08 05:30 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Dennis...

Does this mean I'll have to wait until my second heart attack before I start buying the really REALLY cool toys? *laughs*

Glad to see you're keeping busy... have fun!

Bren R.

BrenR #208814 05/21/08 06:08 PM
Tharkun Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: BrenR
Dennis...
Does this mean I'll have to wait until my second heart attack before I start buying the really REALLY cool toys? *laughs*
Glad to see you're keeping busy... have fun!
Bren R.

Geez I certainly hope not, well I'm doing okay health wise, one still has the concern in mind all the time. But I have decided I'm not going stop living daily life with worries of what may happen.

Tharkun #208815 05/21/08 06:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
A guy at my work has two time shares at disney world. He goes at least 2-3 times a year!

-David
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020