Rate Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Re: Reommendatios for a compact pistol
JohnK #208739 05/21/08 08:32 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Sorry to slam the door on you JohnK... the Ruger Mark III 22/45 is complete crap. It's billed as a "1911 Trainer"... but it's gritty and grotty and a pain to strip - and no 22LR will "train" you for a 1911, they just took the worst part of the layout of it (the near 90 degree "rake"). They're showing up at the range at an alarming pace these days... I've had the chance to fire a few and yeeeeech... I'd rather just hold the .22 with a pair of pliers and hit it with a ballpeen.

I have a Mark III target (this one) with a 5.5" bull barrel. A lot of people online complain about how hard it is to strip as well, but after the first few times, I can completely empty and replace everything in the frame in about 60 minutes (including cleaning time). The stock trigger, sear, hammer and bolt release really stink... but Rimfire Sports has an accurizing kit for it (which I'm finding has to be done to just about any new firearm these days). Honestly, the internals are a bit Rube Goldberg, but that's the lawyers creating that problem.

I like the Mark III target... I hate the 22/45 Mark III (feels like shooting a hockey stick)... and for the price, hard to beat... unless you can find a good Model 17 or High Standard used.

If you do get one of the Mark IIIs, PM me on how to remove the magazine disconnect... it's a colossal pain in the rectum.

My .02 - YMMV.

Bren R.

BrenR #208903 05/21/08 10:23 PM
W
Wid Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
W

Speaking of High Standard my neighbor has a HS Duramatic M101. It's in fair condition and he tells me it shoots well. He wants $150 for it......what do ya think?

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #208972 05/22/08 04:22 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Shoot it... if it's not shot out, it's probably worth it... (hard to say, pistols seem to hold their value better here in Canada than there where there are more on the secondary market)... mainly I'd say "shoot it" and it it shoots well, I'd say it's worth it.

It is a "base model" from before I was born... so, remember to consider that... old = good solid build usually = maybe hard to find parts?

Bren R.

BrenR #209258 05/24/08 12:30 PM
W
Wid Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
W

I think I'm going to take a pass on the HS and go look at the Rugar. Taking a change on a 50 year old firearm being reliable long term doesn't seem to be the best choice.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #209292 05/25/08 03:01 AM
shareholder in the making
Rick, just wondering if Bill RugEr might be doing a few barrel rolls in his grave over this thread, with Bren's unusual comments about the typically superb 22/45. Incidentally, one of the main factors in suggesting that specific model was the more upright grip angle, which feels a bit better to my hand, and may be more consistent with your Kahr, regardless of whether any "training" for the M1911 is needed.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #209298 05/25/08 12:43 PM
W
Wid Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
W

I made it to the gun shop and did get a chance to hold a few different models of the MK3. The one that felt best in my hands was the MKIII512 target model with a 5 1/2" bull barrel. I liked the feel of the all steel frame as compared to the composite frame on the 22/45. I'm having a scope (2x) mounted on it and bench tested before I pick it up. I hope to get some rounds through it next weekend.

Rick

Wid #209324 05/26/08 01:26 AM
Certainly a fine choice, Rick, if you prefer the feel of the grip.

Bren, on the mag disconnect, maybe consider something like this .

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #209325 05/26/08 01:32 AM
W
Wid Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
W
I ordered one of these to help make loading a bit easier. I read a few reviews on this product and it is suppose to work great.

Rick

JohnK #209332 05/26/08 05:15 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
Rick, just wondering if Bill RugEr might be doing a few barrel rolls in his grave over this thread, with Bren's unusual comments about the typically superb 22/45.
Well, in my opinion, Willy B. Ruger pooped the bed on the 22/45. I've shot and liked the Mk II in various incarnations, the Mk III Target and Hunter, the 10/22 & 10/17, the Mini-14, the GP-100 series (some day I'll probably own a GP-161) and the P90 (actually, it was the stainless KP90). But everyone has a misstep occasionally - I believe Ruger did with the 22/45 series.

I don't really "get" a pistol that combines the chunky and clunkiness of a service pistol with the lack of power of the .22LR cartridge, y'know?

Like putting a 1.2 L engine in a Town Car and marketing it as "all the awkward handling of a land yacht with the lack of power of a subcompact"...

You like it, and that's cool... more power to you - I really don't... to the point that I have a strong opinion against it...

As for the aftermarket magazine disconnect parts, you can just remove it and make up a brass shim to take up its place on the hammer pin, slip a hammer shim between it and the hammer to minimize soft metal to metal contact and you'd be golden.

Bren R.

BrenR #210117 06/01/08 04:37 AM
W
Wid Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
W

I had my first chance to hit the range today with the Rugar MK3. I had my share of problems for sure. First I had a few FTF with the Remington bulk ammo. Second I had more duds than I thought was possible, what crappy stuff it was. I will never buy that stuff again. I think the FTF was because of the position of the first round, I think I had them to flat not allowing for a proper feed.

When the ammo worked the pistol shot extremely well. Now if I can only work on my skills to match what the pistol is capable of. So I am pretty pleased with the Mk3, I only need to figure out what it likes to be fed. I hear CCI and Winchester wildcats work well so I'll give them each a try.. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Now to cleaning the darn thing. Disassembly was a cake walk, no problems. Cleaning went well too. Assembly was mostly smooth except when it was time to put the main spring back in. I tried and tried and tried again to no avail. Every time I went to close it the darn thing it would just pull back out. I remembered I bookmarked this on youtube and it explained one step that finally worked. I wasn't getting the hammer far enough forward to get the hook on the mainspring back in place. Once I watched this video and it showed what I was missing it was a piece of cake after that.

I hope to try some different ammo this coming weekend so any suggestions would be great.

Rick

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters