Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Head to Head compare...Just asking don't attack me
#21026 09/30/03 04:29 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Alright, not looking to get flamed, or create a mass pounding, BUT? Has anyone ever compared the Axioms to the Fluance line? I priced out two setups one with an Axiom line and one witha Fluance line. Also added an SVS sub to both setups. The Axioms come in at almost 600.00 more give or take. Mostly more. This is to be my FIRST HT system. I have been here asking around and reading ALOT! But, I am cautious in the spending. I have not spent since buying my first Infinity Infintessimal system 11+ years ago. I was first considering the M22's then leery due to the fact I would require stands, with two kids, ah, shying away. Then I thought the M50's, not a lot of good heard here. The M60's may be a bit high for me. Then the center, the VP100 is liked/disliked. Justify in the purchase of the 150? Then the Q8's Q4 debate. All I know is that I received a YAMAHA RX-V2400 as a gift, and now it needs some brothers and sisters to round out the HT family. Again room size is 14 x 13. Seating is 10'8" away from TV, center channel and fronts. I know this is a biased, rightfully so, forum, but I like a little controversy to get creative juices flowing.
Alright fire away at me, I can take it. Why else would I ask!! No matter what I do need....2 Fronts...Center...surounds...sub. My Infinity sub is not working correctly so I would need to replace. As are 1 of my original Infinity satellite speakers. No help there. What do the many minds here think!!

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!!
Re: Head to Head compare...Just asking don't attack me
#21027 09/30/03 04:49 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I may be useless to you, Davey, but at least I'm up front about it. I have not heard the Fluance speakers.

But I got my M60's recently and could not be more pleased. I've always wanted 3-way floor standers and share your concern about kids/stands. I had high expectations and they were met with elegance and fortitude.

From a purely systems-building standpoint, you've got a terrific receiver and seem very ready to invest in a high quality sub. DO NOT scrimp on the rest of the system. Don't wonder what might have been.

I'm running the M60's without a sub. For music, it is absolutely wonderful - rich, full and clean. And since I don't watch "Armageddon"-type movies all the time, I'm waiting to buy a good sub when I can. Again, I am very satisfied with both my short-term enjoyment and my long-term prospects.

The QS8's receive universally glowing reviews, and design-wise, they make good sense to me. Plus, they are just big enough to be "full range" speakers.

Your receiver will have sophisticated bass management capabilities, so my opinion (worth price charged) is to invest for the long haul by buying good mains and good surrounds and then building from there.

Oh yeah, and listen listen listen to speakers.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#21028 09/30/03 05:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Alas, I've not heard the Fluence speakers either.

The M60's are AMAZING. I can't say much about the VP150, because I don't have a lot to compare it to. I do know it was a HUGE step up from my old Phase Tech 1C center that I had.

As far as the QS8's, I'd always been of the opinion that surround speakers were the least important speakers in your system. Then I got the QS8's. Wow... Movies are SO much more fun now!

I agree that you should buy your speakers piecemeal, one at a time if that's what your budget can handle. Don't buy what you can afford now, because in the end you'll not be happy, and you'll just end up upgrading it all again. That doesn't mean you need to buy Axioms. Go out and listen to EVERYTHING. Decide what you like best, and start building your system.

Unless you're independently wealthy that's what you'll have to do. "Build" your system...you can't expect to buy it all at once.

#21029 09/30/03 06:00 PM
local
local
I have M22's and M50's in different rooms/systems. I find them both very enjoyable. I will marvel at the 22's and then sit in front of the 50's and think how great they are. I haven't heard the M60's to compare. The Fluance seem like a good value for inexspensive speakers. The axioms are I believe in a differnt league.

I chose the 50's over the 22's because of the stand issue. We loved them so much we ordered the 22's for the bedroom. I don't know how many people have really compared the 50's to the 60's but I don't think your going to be unhappy either way.

Mark
#21030 09/30/03 06:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've never listened to the Fluances yet, either, so cannot comment anything on their sound or product quality. But just how old is Fluance the company??? -- One year? Two years??? If I were to ever buy the Fluance speakers, I would wait for at least several years, until after the business settles down a bit and the company gains some "stable" product reputations. Right now, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the company suddenly closes the door this or next year.

This centiment is based on my personal disappointment to see the demise of the then-reputable manufacturer of my own beloved Hales speakers (even though the company did not go out of business until many years after I got my speakers).

#21031 09/30/03 06:23 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I understand. What about Rockets? Any thoughts, comments? Really trying to narrow my search down. Like I said The Yamaha 2400 is a gift and arriving soon. Quick quest. With eithervthe Axioms or rockets, can i get away with NO sub for a period of time. Until i get funds together for an SVS? Or can you recommend another sub equal? in quality/sound for les money? Diff brand maybe. Thanks.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!!
#21032 09/30/03 06:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Have you read this recent thread already?

#21033 09/30/03 07:03 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
There is a pretty current thread on the Rockets around here somewhere. They sound very different than the Axioms.

I think you would still very much enjoy any of the Axiom towers without a sub for quite a while. The only way you'll be happy without a sub is if you buy reasonably big boxes for the mains; my recollection is that the Rocket towers are quite a bit more expensive than comparable Axioms.

Hsu Research makes excellent products (Craig is obviously having a bad day, this being his first post ever that lacks his usual glowing endorsement of his VTF-2). They are releasing another line of products in a month or so (the STF line) which will be even more reasonably priced than their already-great-value VTF-2 and VTF-3.

I looked for a previous thread that had several good recommendations on lower priced subs but could not find it. (help?) My recollection is that people advocated the Dickason Titanic at partsexpress.com, the Def Tech, the Paradigm and the Athena at the sub $400 level. But I think most folks are going to advocate spending a little more to get the Hsu or SVS.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#21034 09/30/03 07:06 PM
old hand
old hand
I have never heard the fluance line, but I see them getting sold on ebay dirt cheap. Don't know the history of the company, but if it is in anyway related to Nuance, I wouldn't bother with them. Axiom, Energy, Paradigm, PSB all have entry level speakers that are more worthy of consideration.

#21035 10/01/03 02:58 AM
old hand
old hand
Hey Davey,

Since you already have your Yamaha 2400, you should try auditioning any speaker lines you're looking at with them. Different speakers have different attributes and should be compared closely. For example, some have said here that the Rocket's and Axiom's sounds are like night and day. Take your time and trust your ears (the type of sound you like).

Aeromos
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020