Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
"Crack in a box" - Movie Theater Style Popcorn
#211184 06/10/08 08:28 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Ok, somebody give me a great recipe for movie theater style popcorn that I can make at home.

Gimmicky machines should be kept to a minimum. I'm looking for something that I can do on the stove or in the microwave (although I doubt movie theater style can be achieved in the latter).

I'm hoing this will solidify my Movie Theater at home experience.

Re: "Crack in a box" - Movie Theater Style Popcorn
Capn_Pickard #211188 06/10/08 08:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The key chez Colquhoun is remembering to get the butter melting before we heat the oil. If you heat the butter too fast it will not taste as good as a theater. If you melt it at the lowest setting stove-top it honestly tastes different. You want to take it off the burner just before it clarifies.

We cover the bottom of a big pan with Crisco oil. Then, we cover the bottom of the same pan with Orville Redenbacher Original kernels. Make popcorn in the usual stove-top way. Douse liberally with butter and salt. Pass around a lot of napkins! Start previews.

Capn_Pickard #211189 06/10/08 08:51 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I stopped doing microwave popcorn a long time ago, they just don't taste good. Now I make it myself. I do it on an old ricemaker alum pot just because it heats much faster, but any big/mid sized pot would do.

1 teaspoon or tablespoon of canola oil.

about 1/2 or 3/4 cup of kernels.

Put it on the stove on hi, cover and shake the pot every 15-20 second until you start hearing pops.

You should buy popcorn salt , regular salt won't stick to the popcorn. Better yet , if you can find it, buy the special salt movie theaters use, don't know the name ... the orengy salt. If anyone know the name and where I can buy it, please let me know.

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
JaimeG #211191 06/10/08 08:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wow - I'd never even heard of it! Amazon sells this salt.

Amie #211193 06/10/08 09:06 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Popcorn salt is easily available at groceries stores, at least here in Va.
Movie theaters use this (Flavacol) (i just google it), which is pretty hard to buy.

JaimeG #211201 06/10/08 11:47 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If I wanted to imitate theater popcorn as I remember it I suppose It would go something like this....

Pop corn 6 hours in advance of movie. Heat in a small pan, Used cooking oil, 2 gallons of margerine, 6 cups of salt. pour one cup of butter liquid for each 2 cups of popcorn.

\:D

Haoleb #211207 06/11/08 01:27 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Just a couple of notes form a guy (me) who has my own "real" popcorn machine, as well as some insider information from a "previous life" working at a movie theater when I was younger.

1) THE salt is Flavacol as Jaime mentioned, however it really isn't that hard to find. I've even seen smaller sizes of it in grocery stores. The trick is to look in the phone book for "restaurant supply" or "concessions" places and give them a call. You can get it in what looks like a 1/2 gallon carton.

2) THE oil is coconut oil (also called 76 degree oil since it is solid up to 76 degrees). While not the most healthy for you, it is by far the best tasting popcorn oil there is. Second, and a little more healthy, is canola oil. This oil can be had at the same place that the Flavacol can be gotten. No since in paying for shipping if you can avoid it.

3) THE popcorn is..... well.... Really just about any popcorn with the right "expansion" ratio (which IS labeled on the bag) will do. Your more major brands tend to have fewer unpopped kernels and larger pops too. You want between 40 and 44. 40 will be on the "chewier" side, while 44 will be towards the more "brittle" side. Again, almost all popcorns fall into this range, but if you get something with a rating of 41 and want a little more crunch, next time get some 43 or 44.

4) THE "butter" topping is... actually an oil and not butter at all anymore. I would say that if you are making the "good stuff" at home, then get some real butter and melt it slowly for best results. You can buy the "buttery" oils even at places like WalMart, but again, why put cholesterol into your body unless it tastes good and I think that oil crap is just that... Crap. If you MUST have the "buttery" oil like at the theater, then you will need to find out what your favorite theater is using because there is a wide variety of oils used by different theaters. A simple stop at the concessions stand and you should be able to ask what they use and they should show you the packaging unless they are jerks about it.

Another thing that people can do is buy those "portion packs" that you see online (and you guessed it, at the same restaurant/concessions supply places). I would say start with ones made for a 4 oz popper unless you are feeding a lot of people, but even so, you can always put 2 packs together as long as the cooking container is big enough. You just put the pre-measured oil (coconut), popcorn, and Flavacol in at the start and cook away like normal. Best results will be had by using a hot kettle and letting the oil warm up first.

Best of luck... I need to go make some popcorn now!

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #211214 06/11/08 04:04 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
A+ for Nick. I love this place.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #211255 06/11/08 03:00 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Yes, thanks, Nick.

What's the best order of application, though? There seems to be some difference in opinion about when to add the salt.

Does it go in with the oil or does it go in after the corn has popped?

nickbuol #211261 06/11/08 03:54 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Wow Nick thanks for the info. I had no idea they use coconut oil. Now that I can ask by name I'll find out if they sell that flavacoll stuff at my local stores.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020