Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Peter's CD
#211347 06/12/08 04:27 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
As I suspected, Peter and I have similar tastes in music. I'm gonna go ahead and call that a good thing! Today, I had the pleasure of listening to the CD he put together.

I really liked the Rilo Kiley selections. They were right up my musical alley. I also really enjoyed the Avett Brothers and Van Morrison. It's funny, I've always liked and been familiar with Van Morrison, but have never owned an album of his. I sense that will change. What a great relaxed voice he has.

The Lucia Micarelli selection was surprising. Duh, I should have paid more attention to the title! What a great rendition.

Soul Coughing was a nice change of pace. I think they really nailed the feel of Los Angeles on that song. Well, at least for me it felt like it. Nice touch with the Tom Petty "California" pairing.

Quite a few of the artists I'm familiar with. Like I said, we have similar tastes. Some were familiar artists, but new songs for me--Belle and Sebastian, Joanna Newsom, and The Who. I liked the bass line in "Dress Up In You."

Peter, I'm glad you put Weezer's "The Good Life" on your CD. I struggled with that album for a long time because it was such a departure from their debut. Probably the least accessible work of theirs, but one of the more rewarding.

I picked up Heartless Bastards from your recommendation a long time ago. Good stuff.

I must mention Modest Mouse and Beck. I listen to these two albums a lot. Another thumbs up!

I've got to add, I've never been much of a Stevie Wonder fan. It's weird--I don't find his songs unpleasant, I just don't think I've connected with them. "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing" is a song most of us are familiar with. I was struck by how good it sounded. Very nice recording. I'm going to try giving Stevie another shot.

Peter, you put together a great CD! I enjoyed it immensely. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by St_PatGuy; 06/12/08 05:00 AM. Reason: repeats and spelling

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Re: Peter's CD
St_PatGuy #211348 06/12/08 04:34 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Hear, hear. I still have a few more songs to go, but it's a nice compilation.

Yes, good choices on the Rilo Kiley. I've always meant to pick up a Joanna Newsom album, but for whatever reason I never have. I think Belle & Sebastian is the favorite band of one of my online friends, and our tastes intersect a bit, so I may try an album of theirs, too.

St_PatGuy #211351 06/12/08 04:47 AM
Music is funny. I bet many of my "in real life" friends wouldn't have been familiar with 2/3 of the stuff on there. Thanks for the impressions. I got my money's worth on that postage. \:\)

pmbuko #211353 06/12/08 04:51 AM
C
CV Offline
C
All right, I finished listening. Great mix! I got chills with the last track. I'll listen to the CD when getting ready for work in the mornings (I take forever) and see some of them stand up to repeated listenings. Thanks for sharing, Peter.

pmbuko #211553 06/14/08 06:30 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Peter, what albums by Joanna Newsom and Belle & Sebastian do you recommend?

CV #211748 06/17/08 04:40 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Anyone can jump in with Joanna Newsom and Belle & Sebastian recommendations. \:\)

CV #211751 06/17/08 04:54 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Okay, I only have the newer Joanna Newsom CD, "Ys." I have heard snippets from "Milk Eyed Mender" and will venture to say "Milk" is probably a bit easier for the newcomer. "Ys" is good, but it requires some stick with-it-ness by the listener. Longer, more intricate compositions.

As for Belle and Sebastian, I have "If You're Feeling Sinister" and "The Boy with the Arab Strap." Both are great to start with.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
pmbuko #211762 06/17/08 09:13 AM
C
CV Offline
C
By the way, Peter, I got the Lucia Micarelli album today. I was surprised to see Leigh Nash doing the vocals on one track. I kind of forgot she existed. I knew she was going to do some solo stuff after Sixpence None the Richer, but I forgot to check in on her.

But yeah, I liked the album well enough. I only listened to it on my AudioBytes while doing other stuff. I'll have to try it on my main system when the weekend hits. I'll have a lot of music to try out by then.

CV #211763 06/17/08 11:05 AM
Thanks for that CV. Now if the RIAA sues me, I have some evidence that I actually made them some money. ;\)

Oh, and sorry for not getting back to you with recommendations. I'd go with what Sean said.

pmbuko #212054 06/18/08 05:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
It took a while, but I have listened to all of Peter's CD, most on repeat listenings, and here is the big review. I hope that this will buy me at least a few days' peace from those that claim that I only know how to post in phrases and smileys!

Peter’s CD

# --- Title --- Artist --- Album

1 - The Execution of All Things - Rilo Kiley - The Execution of All Things
8 - Pictures of Success - Rilo Kiley - Take Offs and Landings

I like these a lot; will get their albums. Any harmonic rock/pop with intelligence and a waifishly sweet female vocalist will hook me every time. See my music collection for evidence: Belly, Blake Babies/Juliana Hatfield, Mazzy Star, Frente, etc.

OK, after writing this whole review, I’m listening to track one again, and it is the best thing I’ve heard in a while. It’s a perfect song. It has now kicked the new Weezer single out of my head.

2 - Real Good Looking Boy - The Who - Then and Now! 1964-2004

The Who is easily my favorite classic British rock band. I own most of their stuff, but I don’t have this one, making it a nice find. Sad that Roger’s voice has given out now (so I can’t recommend their latest, Endless Wire), but for forty years, they have thrilled me, and he sounds fine on this track. I didn’t realize that it was Pete Townshend who coined the term “power pop” until today when I looked up the Who on wikipedia. If you had to sum up my favorite music in two words, that’d be it.

I almost included Pete Townshend’s “White City Fighting” on my mix CD. It would have gone after the Echobelly track, with the guitars fading into each other.

3 - Boomtown - Greg Brown - The Live One

Fun folk track of a guy I had not heard of. Makes me think of “Little Boxes” from the Showtime hit “Weeds”. Peter, can you dig this vibe, living in northern Virginia as you do?

4 - The Weight of Lies - The Avett Brothers – Emotionalism

Another totally new one to me. Also quality.

5 - River of Deceit - Mad Season - Mad Season

Mad Season was a grunge supergroup formed in late 1994 by members Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and Screaming Trees. I had heard this one before, in the 1990s on Channel Z, an awesome radio station in Augusta, GA. Along with Atlanta’s 99X, it was my favorite station. It’s long gone now, a victim of radio’s changing formats and corporate bloat. What I wouldn't give to have a good radio station to listen to in my town.

6 - Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing - Stevie Wonder – Innervisions

Back in the 1970s, Stevie released some genius stuff. I need to dust off his CDs.

7 - The Good Life - Weezer – Pinkerton

If you were gonna find some Weezer tracks I’m less familiar with, they’d be on this album, which is the least-played one on my collection. Another one I need to dust off.

9 - Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie - Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Mender

Can’t say I need to dust off this one, as I don’t have any CDs by harpists. For someone from California, she has a voice that sounds as if it was plucked (*groan) from Appalachia. A nice change of pace.

10 - Screenwriter's Blues - Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom
12 - Stranded - Van Morrison - Magic Time
15 - Searching for the Ghost - Heartless Bastards - All This Time

More quality tracks. I’m running out of things to say, so it’s good that I’m not a journalist.

11 - California - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - She's the One

Tom’s awesome. I’ve been digging his work in the Traveling Wilburys lately, along with Full Moon Fever, which is unofficially the Wilburys’ second album. I don’t have this soundtrack, which is now clearly revealed to be an oversight on my part. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

13 - Guess I'm Doing Fine - Beck - Sea Change

Man, his voice gets low on this one. I liked the track, but I have to get my mind around the fact that he’s a Scientologist. I like the name of another of his singles: "MTV Makes Me Want to Smoke Crack". Reminds me of Cracker’s “I Hate My Generation” and Bob Mould’s “I Hate Alternative Rock.”

14 - Float On - Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News

One of the few new CDs I’ve bought from artists of the 2000s. It hasn’t caught on to me yet, but this single is catchy enough.

16 - Dress Up In You - Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit

Every time I put this track on to review it, I get distracted by work and this becomes nice background music, so I’m sure it’s a nice track, but I can’t say why!

17 - Nocturne from Bohemian Rhapsody - Lucia Micarelli - Music from a Farther Room

Nice to hear it in the original context for the first time. Like about half of Marchs, Peter’s CD goes out like a lamb.

Peter, all in all, a great CD. Five stars out of five! Like you said, it’ll be good for road trips.

Sean's CD came Saturday and CV's came Monday, and I've not yet had a chance to review them. I plan on taking my Discman with me to Chicago, so next week, maybe I'll get my CD out to you guys (so it can blow your MIND!) and review your CDs.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020