Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Negative Orange's new CD!
#211544 06/14/08 05:11 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
A rare copy of Negative Orange's eclectic sampler disc showed up in my mail today. I have a very sneaky suspicion that this is really Charles' sampler. Hmmm. . . .

Charles, you have a particular taste in music and it is represented well here. Stand outs for me upon first listen are Bjork, Hello Saferide, Metric, Rasputina, and The Rentals. I may be one of the few Bjork fans on the forum, and as such, really enjoyed the B-side selection. A great juxtaposition of her voice with a spanish guitar. Her voice continues to mesmerize me.

Hello Saferide's "Leaving You Behind" while not indicative of band's sound, according to you, is a compelling song. I see that Hello tends toward the pop side of things, and I like that side. Come to think of it, "Leaving You Behind" is very reminiscent of Van Morrison. Annika's voice has that rough, sultry quality to it.

I like the repeated line that begins Metric's "Hustle Rose." There is something esoteric about this song that is hard to put my finger on, but I'm carried through it by the drums. It's like the beat is hurtling along pulling her dreamy vocals on a wild chase. Wow, I can't believe I just described a song in such a way. . .

Okay, I'm very glad you put this Rasputina selection of the disc, especially since you have dumped the potential blame on me. ;\) Rest assured, I like the song a lot. It's very hard to describe this music--it doesn't comfortably fit into a mold. That's not to say it's far off in outer space, no, I think Rasputina have a clear idea of what sound they like, and they stick with it. I love long songs like this that wend and weave their way through different textures and pacing. I feel like I really get my money's worth with songs like this. It's accessible while offering new things with repeated listens. Good call on this one, CV!

It seems like ages ago when I picked up The Rentals first album. Simple and catchy pop. Since this song is from an EP does that mean we can expect a new album soon?

Charles, we need to talk about CSS. I'm not supposed to like music like this. If I was in my early twenties and going to clubs this would be right up my alley. Why is it I can't get this song out of my head? What makes it worse is that it's one of those song I want to sing along too, but I don't speak Portuguese. \:\(

It dawned on my halfway through SoKo's "I'll Kill Her" that the song wouldn't be nearly as fun, or frightening, without the singer's accent. Her phrasing and pronunciation give the song an unsettling twist.

It's funny, when I first listened to Brendan Benson's album, I couldn't get into it. I don't think I was in the right mood at the time. After subsequent spins, it really clicked. I can't believe I didn't like it right off the bat. Hopefully everyone else digs this song, because it is good.

Charles, I enjoyed your disc very much. I definitely see a Regina influence in the selections! I'm having a lot of fun with this disc swap thing so far. It's fun hearing what other members listen to. It's like we're packaging up little samples of our personalities and mailing them off for other people to enjoy. Since we have taken obvious care in selecting songs, it makes me, as a recipient, pay attention and give each song it's due. A great way to discover new sounds!

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Re: Negative Orange's new CD!
St_PatGuy #211545 06/14/08 05:22 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Hey, I'm glad you got some enjoyment out of the disc. I like how you're already better at describing the songs than I am. \:\)

I agree that this is a great way to hear new music. It definitely helps to associate the music with people you like.

CV #211546 06/14/08 05:29 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Quote:
It definitely helps to associate the music with people you like.

That's why I'm relieved I haven't come across anything atrocious yet. While I want to give an honest description of what I hear, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Even though I may come across something that's not my cup of tea, I will certainly attend to the song and see if I can't pull something I like out of it. It's like making yourself more receptive to different things. That's a good thing.

St_PatGuy #211549 06/14/08 05:45 AM
I can't wait to get home and listen to the CDs that are waiting for me.

pmbuko #211550 06/14/08 05:47 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Uh oh. I sent an 8-track.

St_PatGuy #211551 06/14/08 05:48 AM
As long as a player comes with, that's ok by me.

St_PatGuy #211557 06/14/08 08:37 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Bjork(...)Her voice continues to mesmerize me.
Is mesmerize the right word? I remember hearing Motorcrash at a "7 Bands For 7 Bucks" warehouse punk show over the PA between acts and couldn't tell if I loved or hated it...

... I still don't actually know if it's awful or avante-garde.

Bren R.

BrenR #211558 06/14/08 08:41 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Her work is pretty varied. Her singing of "So Broken" is a far cry from her work in the Sugarcubes, though I do like several of their songs, too.

BrenR #211566 06/14/08 03:06 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: BrenR
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Bjork(...)Her voice continues to mesmerize me.
Is mesmerize the right word? I remember hearing Motorcrash at a "7 Bands For 7 Bucks" warehouse punk show over the PA between acts and couldn't tell if I loved or hated it...

... I still don't actually know if it's awful or avante-garde.

Bren R.

Hater. ;\)

I don't know. I can't explain it--I just like her voice.

St_PatGuy #211568 06/14/08 03:24 PM
It's one of those things. She sounds almost like a kid who tries her hardest to sing well -- but does't quite make it to well -- but her parents have told her her whole life that she has the best voice they've ever heard.

I enjoy her music because she keeps trying, and that tells you something about her. \:\)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters